Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Trump signed bill that reinstates drone registration

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Trump signed bill that reinstates drone registration

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Trump signed bill that reinstates drone registration

https://www.cnet.com/news/trump-sign...-registration/

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/12/tr...n-requirement/

Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Yep, he signed a Defense finance bill, they stuck that in the amendments
Old 12-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Trump signed the NDAA Bill.... You make it sound like he signed it to spite us. He's not the other candidate. Did you call you Congressmen and Senators? If not stop whining.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Trump signed the NDAA Bill.... You make it sound like he signed it to spite us. He's not the other candidate. Did you call you Congressmen and Senators? If not stop whining.
OMG, you must never read any of my post... I'm not whining and I don't whine...

I had already knew this was in the works... I was the one who posted it back in NOV. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...rn-2018-a.html

I was just stating that it is official now.

Last edited by GSXR1000; 12-15-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

Anyone with any sense knew the FAA wasn't going to take the Taylor slap in the face laying down.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:44 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Anyone with any sense knew the FAA wasn't going to take the Taylor slap in the face laying down.
So it was a "slap in the face" to the FAA that they must also abide by laws as they are written? What a novel concept, a government agency must follow laws? It seems to me the slap in the face was done to modelers by the FAA then they willfully ignored section 336, and only one person had the will to call them on it (Taylor).

It's all good now though right? They (FAA) just went back to a bunch of corrupt politicians and got the law(s) changed to suit them, I haven't actually read it yet.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 12-15-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:31 AM
BarracudaHockey

Sure.
They thought they could do what they wanted and a judge called them on it.

So they did it another way.

Say what you will about the FAA, I've interacted with the people at the top of the pecking order and I can tell you two things that you can take for whatever you feel its worth.

1. While some of us and them internally may disagree with the approach they take in certain things, they have the safety of the NAS at the heart of what they do.'
2. They KNOW that we, the AMA members and responsible modelers, are part of the solution to help them maintain the safety of the NAS and not the problem.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sad truth of the matter is that it is too easy for a "bad guy" to access the tools needed to do terrible things thru our hobby.
The advent of the multi-rotor craft, and the ease with which they can be used by any paste eater only makes the situation even worse.
Unfortunately, I feel that any regs they pass to enforce those of us that are law abiding citizen/patriots, don't mean a damn thing to the "bad guys".

We ALL need to be on alert for any jack hole that might be thinking of using our hobby for terrible purposes.
And remember, the "bad guys" don't always look like someone from those areas of the world that we know want to do us harm.

I have personal experience from 2008 when we had a pair of visitors to our RC field in rural central California asking pointed questions about the cababilities of each of the 4 planes I brought out to fly that day. They were ESPECIALLY interested in how far away I could fly and how much the model could carry and how fast they can go. No care for cost or how hard it is to learn.
These particular visitors had an obvious appearance of "not being from around here" and the accents to go with the appearance. I know the standard battery of questions newcomers bring to the field as I've been in this hobby since the mid 1970's. The questions they asked were NOT the typical curiosity. They had a purpose.
After these visitors left our field myself and the other 6 club members present that day, all commented on how odd that pair of visitors seemed to be.
Having had my "spidey senses" alerted I made a call to my dad to run the story past him. All he could ask me was, why haven't you called the FBI yet!??"
So that was my next call, to the nearest FBI office in the state capitol. Two agents came to visit me at work the next day. I gave them the full rundown as well as pictures I had just happened to get of the visitors and their truck including the license plate. Turns out they were indeed looking to make trouble and were folks the Feds were observing.

So PLEASE everyone, regardless of how you feel about registration, be AWARE and don't be afraid to make a phone call.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:33 AM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Sure.
They thought they could do what they wanted and a judge called them on it.

So they did it another way.

Say what you will about the FAA, I've interacted with the people at the top of the pecking order and I can tell you two things that you can take for whatever you feel its worth.

1. While some of us and them internally may disagree with the approach they take in certain things, they have the safety of the NAS at the heart of what they do.'
2. They KNOW that we, the AMA members and responsible modelers, are part of the solution to help them maintain the safety of the NAS and not the problem.
This knowledge you claim they (FAA) have that AMA modelers are not the problem did absolutely NOTHING when it came to them obeying section 336, and now since the term "model aircraft" is apparently no longer a legally valid term, and section 336 is apparently gone, it's only a matter of time before they increase regulations and restrictions on us traditional modelers. This is how every single government agency works at it's core, mark my words.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:48 AM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by Tommy_Gun
The sad truth of the matter is that it is too easy for a "bad guy" to access the tools needed to do terrible things thru our hobby.
The advent of the multi-rotor craft, and the ease with which they can be used by any paste eater only makes the situation even worse.
Unfortunately, I feel that any regs they pass to enforce those of us that are law abiding citizen/patriots, don't mean a damn thing to the "bad guys".

We ALL need to be on alert for any jack hole that might be thinking of using our hobby for terrible purposes.
And remember, the "bad guys" don't always look like someone from those areas of the world that we know want to do us harm.

I have personal experience from 2008 when we had a pair of visitors to our RC field in rural central California asking pointed questions about the cababilities of each of the 4 planes I brought out to fly that day. They were ESPECIALLY interested in how far away I could fly and how much the model could carry and how fast they can go. No care for cost or how hard it is to learn.
These particular visitors had an obvious appearance of "not being from around here" and the accents to go with the appearance. I know the standard battery of questions newcomers bring to the field as I've been in this hobby since the mid 1970's. The questions they asked were NOT the typical curiosity. They had a purpose.
After these visitors left our field myself and the other 6 club members present that day, all commented on how odd that pair of visitors seemed to be.
Having had my "spidey senses" alerted I made a call to my dad to run the story past him. All he could ask me was, why haven't you called the FBI yet!??"
So that was my next call, to the nearest FBI office in the state capitol. Two agents came to visit me at work the next day. I gave them the full rundown as well as pictures I had just happened to get of the visitors and their truck including the license plate. Turns out they were indeed looking to make trouble and were folks the Feds were observing.

So PLEASE everyone, regardless of how you feel about registration, be AWARE and don't be afraid to make a phone call.

That's very interesting. So you are saying that the FBI shared information with you that these people you reported to them were in fact looking to cause trouble with RC equipment, and were already on their radar? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but it's extremely rare for law enforcement to share that kind of investigative information. After formal charges are filed it's a little different story, as we all have the right to a speedy and public trial.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 12-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe what you want.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:43 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
.......... as we all have the right to a speedy and public trial.
Sadly , I believe we are well on our way toward loosing that right too . Already , if you are accused of sexual misdeeds , you are automatically guilty (if you happen to be wearing male junk) and your job , reputation , and everything else in the world you have is gone at the mere accusation . No trial , no being found guilty by a jury of your peers , just accused , ruined , and then the media are on to the next big news story . Do I believe a bunch of the accused COULD be guilty , oh yea , of course I do . But ! Do I believe folk's lives should be able to be completely ruined at the mere accusation of something , with no formal charges filed ? Well being from Massachusetts , we had the infamous "Salem Witch Trials" where dozens of women were burned at the stake for the mere accusation of witchcraft , and then of course there was the ugly McCarthy incident(s) where all kinds of folk's lives were ruined by the accusation of being a "Pinko Commie" , so I guess guilty without the hope of being proven innocent really ain't all that new of a concept round these here parts , now is it ?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 PM
hawkerone

Thank you Tommy Gun for sharing your experience. You did the right thing. We need to all take heed to the different world we find ourselves in since 9/11 and maintain situation awareness.

With regard to the FAA's requiring us to register our sUAS, it's a small thing and as we've seen, didn't hurt a bit. Playing nice with the FAA can actually provide a lot of protection when the real trouble-makers get started. The Pres. has sent a memo that he wants the FAA to look into involving the state and local authorities in regulating and enforcing the rules on drone operators. Now that's some real trouble brewing! Historically the FAA has insisted it regulates anything that flies in the NAS, and that's as it should be. Let's do everything we can to keep it that way and not give fuel to a concept that we're a bunch of free spirits and cowboys who need the locals to wrestle us to the ground. Smarten up guys.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:22 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Trump has no idea what's in that bill as he can just read above third grade level if not nearly literate.
I remember when congress, back in the 1960s, passed the Omnibus Safe Streets and Crime bill which utterly shocked LBJ but he signed it anyway.
George W. Bush singed the patriot Act into law and look what that gave us. Obama signed the NDAA which gave the president the power to imprison or execute anyone he so wishes , without due process.
So yes, presidents willingly sing as much awful legislation into law and any good legislation.
Trump, on the other hand probably can't read, so it would make no difference.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by jollyroger
Trump has no idea what's in that bill as he can just read above third grade level if not nearly literate.
I remember when congress, back in the 1960s, passed the Omnibus Safe Streets and Crime bill which utterly shocked LBJ but he signed it anyway.
George W. Bush singed the patriot Act into law and look what that gave us. Obama signed the NDAA which gave the president the power to imprison or execute anyone he so wishes , without due process.
So yes, presidents willingly sing as much awful legislation into law and any good legislation.
Trump, on the other hand probably can't read, so it would make no difference.
You're nothing but a HACK.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:31 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
You're nothing but a HACK.
Why would Trump even mess with a Drone bill ,thought it was a state issue!.....LOL