Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Multiplex Twister EDF

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Multiplex Twister EDF

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:59 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Multiplex Twister EDF

I just got mine and it looks great, did not expect her to be that big a plane. Hope to have her up in a few weeks.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 AM
ekotil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine took all of 2 evenings to assemble. You can be up quicker than you think!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:59 PM
sherlockshah
My Feedback: (1)

there is one for sale, the guy wants 250 its already built and I think has the castle creation speed control in there, i have three lipos 3 cell 2100 are they going to work? I think they have a 20c constant ? IS 250 too much money ? its used but flown only one time, its ready to go just have to put my reciever in it and battery, please respond and tell me what you guys think, Ive own bunch of strykers and just want something bigger.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:33 PM
gditeam

I still love hearing people talk about this plane in a bad way. Its a pretty piece of foam what do you expect. Most arf's or rtf's are usually underpowered anyways which is not a huge suprise. You can make anything fast just as the stryker B was a ton of fun for around 2 minutes the you yank out the motor and toss a brushless setup in it.

I think this plane is cool for its speed and just not something to make your hands shake. It does however get people looking at it and just smiling at how she looks in the air.

If you need something in the 100mph and want this plane just get the replacement fuse and everything and go that route. I think they allow that now..... I was thinking of this setup actually

16/25/1
cc80 or higher , not sure yet
het fan instead of the wemotec

battery wise I am just going to parallel my 3s 20c batteries to make some 4200 3s batteries.

Odds are I will leave this one I bought (on here actually) stock and build another one to see how big of a difference it is. Odds are though I will just make my strykers and soon to own funjets my 100mph planes and leave this bad ass looking jet cruise.

I like speed but sometimes it is nice to fly a plane that is built for cruisin and NO STRESS...
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 AM
sherlockshah

is it possible to have a 4s lipo set up in this jet? if so please tell me which is the best set up to make this a rocket
Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
tIANci

I am starting to get mine up ... she is not that simple to build, you need to be careful and plan ahead. If not you will get parts that have not fitted properly but the CA has cured or wiring that will be held by CA. Now I know why MPX recommends slow cure CA. As for power ... I am sticking with the stock set up. I love fast planes but I think this jet is fun enough on the stock motor.

sherlock - some on RCG have tried 4S with the stock motor but I think its a little too hot for 4S. Maybe something in the 3,000-3,200 KV range would be better.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
sherlockshah

i have three 3s 2100 is that under power?? I dont want to use 4s i dont even have any at the moment , i just want a fast jet without taking to the field just to use at the park, these are good , i have a stryker thats really fast but i can fly it anywhere, if there is someone that has this but set up real fast please let me know what to do.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 PM
tIANci

sherlock - if your 2,100's are 25C then its ok I am sure. If its 20C then take it easy on the throttle. Go to RCG and see the data they have there. I will run mine on prob on Flight Power EVO25 3S 3,300. I doubt the Twister will be faster than your Stryker.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:18 PM
martinh

Just shoved a 4000 3s 1p 30 C Kokam in mine from Overlander

After much deliberation ! Should get to try it out Sunday as the Models been on the shelf for a while

Martin

Here is the Video from sunday, we got an easy 10 minutes

http://rcuvideos.com/item/YT02KKTJP5YSL2LS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66819.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	763352  
Old 09-18-2007, 09:54 PM
whizzard
My Feedback: (2)

I painted my Twister similar to the RAF Red Arrow show team's older high wing jet. I used white tape to simulate the decoration of the Red Arrow's.

I am using a 60 amp ESC and a 4s1p A123 2300 mAh cube shaped battery psck. (made from A DeWalt 36 V power pack)

This battery is a little heavier than a 3s1p LiPoly pack but makes up for it with 14.4 V fully charged to give the Twister a little more screeeeeemm.

This is my first EDF and I am having a little trouble keeping up with it so I had 1 really bad inverted 45* 45-50 mph landing.[:@]

Bent the Elapor foam nose right and down about an inch, cracked the fuse on both sides and broke the canope.

Stick the bent parts in boiling water and the foam cells swell up and get back their "memory" and then just use a spoon to smooth out the surface cells that bubble up.

Use some regular CA glue and twist the fuse back into shape, spray on some more red and she looks pretty good again and flys just like new.

Bill

Name:	Db85752.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	765846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97180.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	765847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10504.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	765848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88043.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	765849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13434.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	765850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw27728.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	765851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83549.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	765852  
Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
gditeam

I just got a dx7 spektrum and would like to set it up with this plane. It will be my first time setting up with this dx7 setup and wanted to see if someone has the basic info as in throws and what channels to mix....

I will be flying her tomorrow with a flightcamone onboard so either it will be a great flight or a crash lol...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Khatsalano

I am loving my Twister ... it's unfortunate that due to a Spektrum radio failure (cause yet to be determined) it crashed at very close range. But the good news is, I caught it on video! For your enjoyment ... I know you guys love the crashes. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXY23SD-Wa8

- K
Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Khatsalano

Oh that reminds me...

I did some experimenting and made a video of landing the Twister with Flaperons Up and with Flaperons Down. There is quite an noticeable difference. I always launch with the flaps down though so it doesn't dip to the ground and just climbs nicely. Keep in mind that flaperons on this plane needs a little up elevator compensation mixed into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Big7Nsu09KM

Enjoy!

- K
Old 12-15-2007, 12:20 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been flying a Twister since early this year and I consider it to be a great first EDF model or general fun model. Its true to say that it does not have startling vertical performance, but if you want this this performance, sorry, but you have to pay for it. A higher Kv motor will do it and the fan will certainly stand it, but a top quality replacement motor may cost almost as much as the model/fan/motor as supplied by MPX! At the price, I think it is great but I probably will re-motor it next year.
I also completely agree with the point about the battery. I first flew mine with a 3s 2500 and it was rather pedestrian. I now fly it with a 3s 3700 and it has made a huge difference.
Regards,

John
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM
f86

I have one also but did not fly it as yet. I was just wondering: How do you guys keep your fan in where it belongs??
do most of you just tape it in place?? Or did you make a door latch system?? I'd be afraid of it falling out while in flight. Is tape good enough??
thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:17 AM
tIANci

Just maidened the Twister ... in one word ... SLOW! On 3S or 3S with the stock motor its not more than 60 mph, probably about 55 mph only. I think it needs a hot motor and a 4S battery pack.

Having flown the Micro Jet, Fun Jet and the J Perkins Tiger Shark, I would say the Twister is very docile compared with the MJ and TS.

Flightwise she flies nice and it will make a great first EDF for any rc hobbyist as the plane is very stable. Rolls are very axial and I did not need any differential at all. Stick with the recommended CG and throws and she is a pleasure to fly for a relaxing afternoon at the flying field.

This plane is really easy to land as with any Multiplex plane. I still find that being a foamie its going to fly like one, feels soft in turns. Talking about turns, this plane needs some speed if you are making steep turns failing which she will drop a wing.

Guess its a great candidate for a nice paint job and let her be a show plane.

F86 - I used CA, tacked it in place (in case I need to access to it) then used silicon to seal it properly.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

Hi Guys

Just put an NEU motor kv3900 into my twister with 4s at 3300 mah 20c. Speed 140-150. Wow, What a difference!
It will loop repeatedly from level flight and vertical is outstanding......
randy
Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 AM
paul daniel

Hi guys: I just have to say that for the guys that were grumpy about this plane, they did not follow directions or expected some Mach 5 jet. I built mine stock with a 3200 LiPo and 50 amp Castle Creations ESC and it flies great. Lands a little fast but I like it a lot.

Name:	Qo41270.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	887227  
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Blockhat

My 2nd Twister oin Tigermeet-design.

2S3200 Standartmot .

+++Martin

Name:	Jh16699.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	953372  
Old 05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
rjflory

ORIGINAL: paul daniel

Hi guys: I just have to say that for the guys that were grumpy about this plane, they did not follow directions or expected some Mach 5 jet. I built mine stock with a 3200 LiPo and 50 amp Castle Creations ESC and it flies great. Lands a little fast but I like it a lot.

Just another independent first-hand opinion- but the stock Twister kit is underpowered. My last Twister flight ended with a famous "Sabre Dance" through a barbed-wire fence. Launches are unstable and scary until you can (hopefully) develop enough airspeed to regain control. I'd recommend at least 25% - 50% more power, which would make this an excellent plane. I know it'll never fly like a Stryker F27C, but it does need enough power to get into and stay in the air.

Does anybody have any personal experience with incrementally better EDF/motor combos for this plane?

BTW, The same applied to the Multiplex Twinstar. Installing twin brushless outrunners changed it from a plowing slug into a really GREAT airplane with enough power do whatever you want, carry camera gear, etc.

ron

Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 PM
440GTX

ORIGINAL: rjflory

ORIGINAL: paul daniel

Just another independent first-hand opinion- but the stock Twister kit is underpowered. My last Twister flight ended with a famous "Sabre Dance" through a barbed-wire fence. Launches are unstable and scary until you can (hopefully) develop enough airspeed to regain control. I'd recommend at least 25% - 50% more power, which would make this an excellent plane. I know it'll never fly like a Stryker F27C, but it does need enough power to get into and stay in the air.

Does anybody have any personal experience with incrementally better EDF/motor combos for this plane?

Yes the Stock Twister is underpowered.
I went with the HET 2W motor and a HET 6904 Fan . ( To stay with 3S ) Now I am getting 425 Watts
Lots of info here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636185

Old 06-28-2008, 11:17 AM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

Multiplex Twister with Flycamone2 camera on board. Max. speed 75-80mph, wind: gusting to 11mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZcj9uDaRE
Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Idare2bdul

I was at the June electric fun fly in San Diego and was pleasantly surprised at the performance of a stock Twister. You do need to build speed and trade it for vertical. Speeds looked to be around the 85-90 MPH range. The stock flight was followed by Steve Neu flying one of his set ups with a 4s battery and it was seriously fast. You would have to contact him for details. He also had painted the plane for a very attractive combo.

The Twister seems to have a very nice speed envelope.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Greg Covey

I agree that the Multiplex Twister is a very versatile EDF with a great speed envelope.

When you hop it up per my suggestions in issue 5 of AMP'D [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=982]EDF Goes Mainstream[/link], the power level is doubled so it goes much faster and looks great!

Name:	Bz77436.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	985845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35188.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	985846  
Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 PM
rjflory

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

When you hop it up per my suggestions in issue 5 of AMP'D [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=982]EDF Goes Mainstream[/link], the power level is doubled so it goes much faster and looks great!
I gave it an honest try... After several days of fighting to get the impeller to balance out (it was awful no matter what I did- too much motor-shaft slop), I gave up and re-installed the stock motor.

I'll probably scrap the twister, too bad as I put a lot of time into it with a nice paint job and all.... It seems EDFs just aren't ready yet- maybe we'll try again in a few years when they catch up...

ron

Name:	Ki19421.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	993006  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.