Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Multiplex Twister EDF

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Multiplex Twister EDF

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
still bill
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Multiplex Twister EDF

Whre do you obtain the clear canopy for the twister?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
tomme

here is all the info you need and a shot of mine. good luck!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725135

tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69005.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1191407  
Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 AM
still bill

I could not get into your e-mail. What address can I send to for the canopy kit?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
cobrajocky

ekotil, I know that this is an ancient thread, but where did you buy that clear canopy for the Twister??

I just picked up a NIB Twister ARFfrom Advantage Hobby for $135 OTD, to fly at the smaller parks around here, and I love the looks of the clear canopy detail you did back in 07. I believe you called it a "Clark" branded canopy??

BTW, I'm dropping in a 4200kv Brushless Inrunner to immediately replace the Himax 3600. As the guys at Mazda say .... Zoom zoom zoom!!!

I also fly a couple foam Phase 3 EF-16's with all-aluminum 70mm EDF's on 4S 3200mAh 35C LiPO's .. that would be Mega Zoom zoom.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Blockhat

Update

+++Martin
Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

I made mine from a hobby store one. Pretty easy, just bring your foam one with you and match the size, cut it and I used the original as a frame ,slit it put the clear canopy in with some glue and done. A little model magic for the inperfections and ready to paint the frame. I hope this makes sense and helps!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
flyrcjets

PS, I used on the above airplane a stick that goes through the sides to secure the canopy. I used nyrod pieces in the foam then run the stick through with one end having a little ball to help grab it out. Works fantastic, no worries ever.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 AM
alanjets

what type of paint u all using on this foam
Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 PM
flyrcjets

Krylon Fusion
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Jim W.

Cobrajocky
You can get a great conopy kit from Keith Sparks and at a good price !!! Email him at [email protected] .
Alanjets
I use Dupli-color auto touch up paint on all of my Elapor foam because it actually bonds to the foam and doesn't peel or chip off.

Jim
Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM
markind

The Twister, though sadly out of production, is still flying high everywhere! Check out my latest vid, it ROCKS!!

(4-Cell, Hyperion 2W-20 motor, Wemotec 9-blade MiniFan)

http://youtu.be/7COLHzaEQek
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 PM
cobrajocky

Markind,
Great video and some great flying. Share some details on your equipment for the video too!
Also a nice grass field, where it is at?

I still have my Twister from 2010 with a HET 6904 2w-20 and it's a gas to fly, very maneuverable more so than many other foam EDF jets, but the physical shape of the plane does limit it's ultimate max speed. Best I can get on radar two passes was 102mph. Trouble is there is not enough air intake on the Twister to go faster, the EDF is gasping for air to push out.

I have three Phase 3 EF16's (Hobby People still sells them as "kits" cheap, but they are true hot rods in potential the Twister doesn't posses. Two of my EF16's with a 5 blade and 6 blade 70mm EDF's on 4S 3200mAh LiPOs have been police "radar'd" (I'm an ex Motor-cop - "friends with radar") at over 150mph "best days" on a straight run across the deck. I have one single pass at 162 mph but couldn't duplicate it on the second pass. I am VERY addicted to the Phase 2 EF16's (I have 4 more in boxes un-assembled, when they had a sale for $24.95 each)
Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
markind

Yeah a lot of flyers call the Twister crap, but it's one of my favorites. Mine has a lot of major battle damage that has been lovingly repaired back to near perfection. My buddies and I fly at a vacant lot just north of Ramac Park in South San Jose, California.

My Twister is powered by a HET 2W-20 and Wemotec dynamically balanced 9-blade MiniFan unit on 4s through a Gecko 65A ESC. Max static power almost 1KW, which would drive "better" EDF planes at twice the speed.

But whenever I fly it, everyone in sight is totally loving it! "That's freaking AWESOME!" is the most common comment from spectators.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one that I ran the storm in it. Then took it out. Now I am looking for a new power plant for her. And I have one still in the box brand new with the power plant never been opened.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I know this is not the phase 3 F-16 thread but what kind of paint can you put on foam planes like that??? Thank you
Old 06-21-2014, 09:48 AM
cobrajocky

Originally Posted by giddyuperic
Hey I know this is not the phase 3 F-16 thread but what kind of paint can you put on foam planes like that??? Thank you
I've had 3 Phase 3 F-16's (3 more "kits" in boxes waiting) and 2 Squalls (1 more kit in a box too) and I've always painted them with the $.99 Walmart or Home Depot latex spray paint. If you put on VERY light thin coats and build it up slowly (that's the key) to get the color you want, it stays flexible and no degradation to the foam. That goes for Multiplex planes too. I had a "Easy Cub" with a 36mm Brushless, that I flattened and clipped the wings (like a "Clip Wing Cub") added flaps and ailerons and spray painted it like a Decathlon in red white and blue. Towed up gliders with it and then did aerobatics on the way back down, could even do Knife Edge easily.

Yeah I like building crazy planes into things they weren't meant for, not just uber fast jets.

Here's a couple of my "cheap spray paint" examples:
A $69 Harbor Freight Sky Hawk - converted to brushless, added Ailerons, curled wing tips to stabilize.
A Multiplex Merlin and a Multiplex Easy Glider converted to brushless.
One of my Phase 3 EF-16's (air brush pained with cheap latex paint from Michael's Craft Shop)
My Flat EPO FoamyBipe kit I designed.
My cheap Guan Li FW-190 Brushless Uber Mod'ed (air brush pained with cheap latex paint from Michael's Craft Shop)

So don't let painting scare you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EF-16 painted.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	2007414   Click image for larger version

Name:	EzG E-BL and Mini-me01.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	2007415   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW-190_modded01.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2007416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prototype Foam Biplane painted.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	2007417   Click image for larger version

Name:	super_super_lightening.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2007418  

Last edited by cobrajocky; 06-26-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 AM
aeromax18

Hello Guys,I hope this forum is not totally dead. I just picked up a Twister kit and before gluing both fuselage halves I wanted to check how would the fan and motor fit. to my surprise the fan with the intake ring fits well in the fan hatch but there is no recess groove in the fuselage itself for the intake ring. Need help on what to do next. the fan and intake ring will not fit once I glue the halves together.
Thanks .
Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 AM
still bill

The ring is not used in the Twister, comes with fan unit and is used with other planes.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:13 PM
markind

I *highly* recommend to NOT install the stock EDF fan unit.

I know, I know, suckage, BUT hear me out: You will not be happy with the stock EDF performance.

PLEASE drop the coin and get a 4-cell Wemotec kit. You will sooooo thank me later...
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM
aeromax18

Still Bill / Markind, .Thanks
I'm upgrading as that is what most everyone recommends.

Last edited by aeromax18; 01-20-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:37 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markind
I *highly* recommend to NOT install the stock EDF fan unit.

I know, I know, suckage, BUT hear me out: You will not be happy with the stock EDF performance.

PLEASE drop the coin and get a 4-cell Wemotec kit. You will sooooo thank me later...
Hmm! I don't know. I used the stock fan but upgraded to a Hacker B40 motor. I stayed with 3 cells. The performance was way better than the stock set up.
A friend went for a 4 cell set up and whilst he had better vertical performance, his straight line speed was little better than mine. I could eak out around 9-10 minutes flight time with my big battery in the nose, as far back as possible. He only got around 5-6 minutes with his because he had to go for a lower capacity battery, or put lead in the tail. I really miss mine.
If I could get another one I would cut off the tip tanks and fit them back on with magnets. I kept knocking the front off mine on landing.
As for paint I sprayed my using Humbrol enamels, but I don't think you can get that brand in the States. Nonetheless any enamel for plastic models should work fine. I fitted my canopy with a strong magnet at the front, and a piece of steel plate let into the foam. I lost my canopy on the first flight.
Last point for those who have not flown theirs yet. Do not cut the throttle completely on approach as you will get a Dutch Roll caused by he intakes. Just a little throttle negates this effect and allows a straight approach. Cut as you flair.
As always with MPX, great design.
John
Old 02-03-2018, 10:21 PM
cobrajocky

Originally Posted by JohnMac
Hmm! I don't know. I used the stock fan but upgraded to a Hacker B40 motor. I stayed with 3 cells. The performance was way better than the stock set up.
As for paint I sprayed my using Humbrol enamels, but I don't think you can get that brand in the States. Nonetheless any enamel for plastic models should work fine.
Last point for those who have not flown theirs yet. Do not cut the throttle completely on approach as you will get a Dutch Roll caused by he intakes. Just a little throttle negates this effect and allows a straight approach. Cut as you flair.
As always with MPX, great design.
John
I've had 3 MPX Twisters, still have one in flight condition but it's now only flying from the ceiling. The stock Brushless motor is "OK", good to learn on but weak for the adventurist. I don't recall what (model) motor I bought for my 2nd and 3rd Twister, but they were Turnigy models from HobbyKing 100kV and 150kV faster, but still capable of runnign 3S LiPO's

Paint - first off, the MPX Twister is not "plastic", not sure if that is what you are intimating. All Multiplex models are EPO and that stands for Expanded PolyOlefin, which is not a Plastic compound. ANY Latex or Enamel paint works on EPO since it don't "melt" like EPS or EPP foam does with anything but a water based paint. For those here in the states, I used cheap $1.00 Enamels and Latex spray paints from Walmart and Home Depot. HOWEVER, because EPO flexes easily (that's it's purpose instead of breaking) Enamel paint on EPO will crack and chip off with the slightest flexes. Latex paints are more flexible.

I never had any problems with the mock wing tip fuel tanks catching on grass in landings, unless the place you're flying has grass left too long. I also made "D" shaped skids from springs wire, epoxied into the underside of the winds mid-way from the fuselage to the tips, that keep the wings from "dipping" on landings. Think if them as skid landing gear without wheels. I make the same D skid for all my F-16's I fly now which have no landing gears.

The twister is not a glide no-power lander, save a wee bit of battery to make a fast landing, she'll slide nicely on short cut grass or smooth asphalt.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:05 AM
JohnMac

Originally Posted by cobrajocky
I've had 3 MPX Twisters, still have one in flight condition but it's now only flying from the ceiling. The stock Brushless motor is "OK", good to learn on but weak for the adventurist. I don't recall what (model) motor I bought for my 2nd and 3rd Twister, but they were Turnigy models from HobbyKing 100kV and 150kV faster, but still capable of runnign 3S LiPO's

Paint - first off, the MPX Twister is not "plastic", not sure if that is what you are intimating. All Multiplex models are EPO and that stands for Expanded PolyOlefin, which is not a Plastic compound. ANY Latex or Enamel paint works on EPO since it don't "melt" like EPS or EPP foam does with anything but a water based paint. For those here in the states, I used cheap $1.00 Enamels and Latex spray paints from Walmart and Home Depot. HOWEVER, because EPO flexes easily (that's it's purpose instead of breaking) Enamel paint on EPO will crack and chip off with the slightest flexes. Latex paints are more flexible.

I never had any problems with the mock wing tip fuel tanks catching on grass in landings, unless the place you're flying has grass left too long. I also made "D" shaped skids from springs wire, epoxied into the underside of the winds mid-way from the fuselage to the tips, that keep the wings from "dipping" on landings. Think if them as skid landing gear without wheels. I make the same D skid for all my F-16's I fly now which have no landing gears.

The twister is not a glide no-power lander, save a wee bit of battery to make a fast landing, she'll slide nicely on short cut grass or smooth asphalt.
Hi Cobra Jocky,
Yes I know what you mean, but Elapor is still a type of plastic foam, albeit not the polystyrene that modelling enamels are made for. I should have said that Multiplex make a primer for exactly this purpose which you just wipe over the model with a clean cloth a couple of times. It removes the release agent from the plastic. Really I can only speak about the Humbrol enamels I have used. I once painted a picture of an Impala on a glider trainer of the same name, onto the Solarfilm covering. The paint was then given a coat of varnish to give a gloss finish, because I found that the matt enamels gave much better colour covering than the gloss. The picture never came off. I have painted most of my MPX foamies over the years using this technique. I am sure that Latex paint also works well to though.
Yes you are right about the long grass. I am In a couple of clubs that are lucky enough to have access to ex RAF airfileds. The runways are wonderful for our jets and big warbirds. However, the foamies do not last long on this very rough surface, so we land in the grass. Since the RAF have gone, no one cuts the grass, so it gets 2-3 foot tall by the end of the summer.
On short grass it is no problem for the Twister.
John

Last edited by JohnMac; 02-04-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 AM
aeromax18

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the input. I'm still waiting on my power / fan set up from Turbine RC. As for the paint I am going to use a Felt tip Permanente marker. I tried it before and it works great. It fades a bit after a while but then I just go over it again. John how many mA is your 3's?

Last edited by aeromax18; 02-04-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 AM
JohnMac

Hi Aeromix18,
I used 3700mah. They just about fit right at the back of the cockpit area without having to add extra lead in the tail. It had either one or two of thewsteel balls in the tail that came with the kit. Trouble is I had one of the first two kits into Britain and that was long time ago, and I can't remember exactly.
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.