Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Old 05-04-2005, 02:02 AM
zope_pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

There are just more scale like and they take less load off the servo by using aerodynamic deflection to hold the control surface. I am sure you can find a bunch of info in the aerodynamic section. since this is a sport scale plane, I don't see the reason behind it so much, but I must admit before I made my mistake I was thinking of putting them on. It is really up to the buidler.

One thing to watch out for when assembling the fuse sides is make sure everything lines up 100%. I misread the instructions and that cost me as I will need to order some parts to replace my screw up.

I will keep you guys posted on what topflite says. I will probably overnight my parts so it shouldn't hold me up much.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:21 PM
zope_pope

Alrighty, got a straight answer (no pun intended) on the wing situation. Looks like I just misread the instructions and you are supposed to leave the wing tip jig tab on for the correct twist during sheeting. I am leaving all on just to make sure. I also got my parts in for my silly mistake.

Currently I am in the process of making everything line up perfectly while joining the wing. 2 hours working on it and still not satisfied with the fit. I have a relatively open day tomorrow so I will try to get online and post some pics. I also have my two fuse sides built, and man this airplane is going to be pretty.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:39 PM
J421

Just want to say that I'm working on the same plane. I have a question, though. Should I cover the "rudder" with balsa wood? - or should I leave it and just cover it directly with monokote? I noticed that in Zope Pope's thread, he has the rudder uncovered.

Joe
Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 AM
zope_pope

Look at the box. The ribs are like that because it is more scale like. On the box you can see that they just covered it with monokote direct so that you can see the ribs like on the real airplane. I just know its going to be hard to cover in the end though.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. My last week of school with finals and all, and putting in over time at work. Just haven't been able to get around to it. Definately this weekend.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:32 PM
zope_pope

Joined the wings last night. Look for some pics tonight. Starting to look really nicely. Also when joining the wings, they mention 5.5" sticks to be used to make sure w-2 rib is parallel. Go with atleast a 5 5/8" stick as mine were a bit longer than 5.5". Saves you a lot of time as one cannot make sticks longer once they are too short. The aft wing joiner spacer, radiator mount thing I think its called CP or something is a bit short on mine too. I had to ad spacers and beef it up with triangle stock. Pictures to come soon.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:11 PM
zope_pope

Here ya go. Next up is building part of the radiator as well as getting ready to sheet the wing. I won't be sheeting the wing till after I get my retracts fitted (waiting for funds for the retracts) so I will then work on my Fuse. Comments are welcome. BTW the fitting of this wing took me around 6 hours! I know it will be worth it in the end though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63482.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	270244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20934.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	270245  
Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
mpower11

Well, your wings look great Adam. I wanna come over and see them. One question though; how did the windex work for the wing worping? Anyways, have fun sanding those wing tips on when you get to them When are the retracts coming? C ya later. Your plane looks sweet.
Matt
Old 05-15-2005, 04:25 PM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

I am at the exaxt same spot as yourself. I built the perfect wing, so I thought, then at the very end I realized that I built the front piece of the wing called the CLE upside down (leans the wrong way). I hope to be able to sand it to shape despite being upside down. Outside of that the constrution went to perfection. This kit builds very good, I built the P-39 and it was much more complitcated and time consuming and frustrating than the P-51. I plan to build another one right behind this one so any mistakes that I make gets a note in the manual. I been keeping up with the post here despite not posting very often. You guys keep writing about your build it has been informative and interesting to read your comments.
Brad
Old 10-04-2005, 03:52 PM
zope_pope

Back after a long break. I will update this thread tonight. I am building the fuse as I dont have the retracts yet and researching. I will post some pictures and comments as well. Hope your p51s are doing well.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Blue_Moon_

Hi adam!

I "remaidened" my kit today! i totaled her on the second flight, and now i have rebuilt her. the model flies very well, mine's eqipped with Robart 605HD, saito 100 and flaps

these are my recomendations:

* i strongly recomend to reinforce the tail wheel section of the fuselage. its too weak
* i very strongly recomend replacing/reinforcing the retracs attaching points. they are to weak.
* i VERY strongly recomend replacing the ball link that controls the ailerons. it WILL fail, in the air. go for dual aileron servos.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
BradSD

A check to see why my post are not showing up.
Sorry,
Brad
Old 10-04-2005, 05:39 PM
BradSD

I been flying mine for about one month, things are going great so far. I built mine stock with flaps. The flaps really aid in landing and taking off. I have had some ballooning effect but it really helps out on the stall speed. I used the .90 supertiger and it flys the plane scale like. I used one servo with the bell cranks hope you are wrong on them coming loose. I was trying to save as much weight as possible and I figured TF knew what they were doing. The roll rate is scale however, sorta slow, I usually nose up a little before doing one. Verticle is limited but good. The plane is beautiful on a high speed pass. I did beef up the landing gear so far no problems there. Have had one scarry aborted landing, plane sorta lifeted off on its own below stall speed, looked ugly but I chopped throttle and had a hard landing, everything okay. I tried to post with pictures but the post never showed up here. If they show up later triple posted I apologize in advance. The plane is pictured now in my gallery.
Brad
Old 10-05-2005, 04:33 AM
Blue_Moon_

ORIGINAL: BradSD

I did beef up the landing gear so far no problems there. Have had one scarry aborted landing, plane sorta lifeted off on its own below stall speed, looked ugly but I chopped throttle and had a hard landing, everything okay.
Exactly what happend to me yesterday! i thought that the plane was in the air (big misstake), but she was rollin on the mains! (wow, i almost did a nice landing!) i pulled a bit of elevator (damn..) and she lifted off with stall speed, then the airspeed went below stall speed, and she came down like a rock from about 50" (noooo!!). The left main was pushed thro the wing sheeting

Before that i had a nice landing, but i was a bit slow on the elevator after touch down, so she went over on the nose :P

I agree with brad that flaps really slows down the landing speed. vertical is limited but okey with my saito 100. power climbs are just too lovely! i love this plane.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Can you see it in the air with that chrome covering? Looks great!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
BradSD

That covering looks cool, very nice looking plane. That dirt road must be tough LOL. Hey, how do you guys get your pictures to come up on here.
brad
Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 AM
BradSD

I only made it up about 8 feet before I know I was in trouble, I noticed a snap coming up, you could just feel it. I did break a prop and punture two small holes in the wing sheeting from the landing gear covers. I noticed you are from Sweden, does the sun shine that pretty all the time there. Looks like somthing in a picture to hang. That covering must reguire a weilding mask. [8D][sm=sunsmiley.gif] it really looks cool however. I was trying to figure out what it was and then read it in the next post, made sense then. I used different methods on this plane because I am building another this winter. I fiberglassed and used the tf paint on the wing with a panel line pen. The fuse is covered in monocote. The mono came out better, but my inexperience with fiberglassing caused problems that I can fix next time. I had tried fiberglassing with polyurethane and got poor results. Did not fill the cloth very well. Next time I will use zpoxy all over.
Brad
Old 10-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Blue_Moon_

ORIGINAL: GarySS

Wow, Can you see it in the air with that chrome covering? Looks great!

haha, actually, its not that hard. but it sure looks like a flying mirror of the sun
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 AM
zope_pope

Awesome pics. Guys I am working on the radiator right now and will take some pics of mine when that gets done. A quick question. The wood was really hard that they shipped me to use on the corners of the radiator, and that is causing me a lot of trouble. I was wondering if there was any input you could give me? I know i am going to end up filling some holes. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:47 AM
zope_pope

Oh yeah, just a flying tip for you guys when you do balloon an airplane, or pop it off the ground in ground effect (landing roll out), instead of cutting power and dropping it on the deck, try adding a click or two of throttle. just a slight bump and hold the attitude of the plane. It will settle in for a super smooth landing. It works in both full scale (im a pilot) and rc. Try it, it will save you tons of time.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:25 PM
zope_pope

Hey, Just for kicks I wanted to see what you guys would think of this plane with a moki 1.35 . I am at 6000ft sea level so I need all the power I can get, and the weight is less than the 1.20 surpass III (the biggest engine they recommend). Id like my airplane to be quick and economical. Just wanted your opinions. Thanks. BTW I am leaning towards the ys 1.10 right now, but I dont know if I will ever be able to get my hands on one being out of stock most of the year.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:24 PM
BradSD

A larger engine would be ideal in the plane. With a ST g-90 in mine it is underpowered, the loops are not big and round like I would like. The Vertical is very limited as well, if I pull back and go straight up I run out of power within about 200 feet (maybe less), then the plane will nose over and recover quickly. Another added benifit would be the extra weight in the nose, I had to add about 6 oz of lead in the nose of mine. So yes I highly encourage a larger engine, the OS 1.20 I think would be perfect match. Might as well add engine instead of lead. I have another one in the box and plan to do things right on it. Now if I could just get the time to do it. The earilier post on the flaps was dead on, I do not recommend them on take off but on landing they help out a lot. They caused me to leave the ground to early in my roll out so from now on they will only be used on landings. I plan to learn all I can on my current plane and let it get all the bumps and nicks then maybe the next one will look pretty for awhile. Keep the thread going let us know how your build is going and whatever comments you may have about it.
Later,
Brad
Old 10-09-2005, 10:56 PM
zope_pope

Here are some updates. The radiator was a pain in the booty, but i am filling it nicely and it will look fine when i finish sand to match the plastic part. more pics in the next posts.

Name:	Nl30486.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	336858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38366.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	336859  
Old 10-09-2005, 11:01 PM
zope_pope

wow, those pics look more rough on the radiator scoop then i would like, but i dont want to take too much wood off and screw the end result later. Here are some pics of what i have gotten so far. the wing isnt covered cause i am still looking at retracts, and i am having a wierd issue of my w2 ribs. they are spread too wide and my wingbolt plate wont fit, so i am going to make a new one, but am not too motivate to do so. haha. also that pic of scrap is just one of the many piles of wood that i have sanded/planed out i have scattered about. let me know what you guys think.

Name:	If10869.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	336860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71157.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	336861  
Old 10-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Rate1

Looking good. I'll follow this thread to see the end result.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 PM
zope_pope

Well I have decided on robarts. The 551rs retracts are the ones I am planning on. Since the wing has dihedral in it, I am using the 85 degree retracts so the gear when down is vertical. I am enjoying this build so much, after I am done, I think i will get the 1/5th scale mustang. Anyone who has built or is building the 1/7 scale p51 feel free to chime in if you have any advice. I am working on finishing the wing now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.