RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Trailers! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/1856732-trailers.html)

Shok 05-29-2004 05:35 PM

Trailers!

I think I want a trailer, I have the bug lol.

I have been looking for awhile at alot of brands, but the one I saw today was perfect.

It was a u-haul trailer 6x12 low rise top with a tandem axel.
This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Is there a place to buy used u-haul trailers?

I looked on their website and could not find any info.

I like this one because its low, like just to the top of my tailgate on the Tahoe, maye a bit higher.

http://www.u-haul.com/guide/trailer_6x12.jpg

sirrom 05-29-2004 05:44 PM

RE: Trailers!

shok,
don't know where you can buy used uhaul trailers, but you can buy that type of trailer from a dealer or keep a look out for a used one on RCU or in your local paper. Also, if you don't mind driving there is a big trailer company out of georgia that sells pretty good trailers at a resonable price. Not sure of the name but if you look on ebay under cargo tralers their company sells alot there.

Patric.

Shok 05-29-2004 05:49 PM

cool thanks

jetpilot 05-29-2004 06:38 PM

That will be too heavy.
Look for the Pace brand and they build a Journey model that will suit your needs. It is a lightweight model.
They are very reasonable and there is a distributor at 183 and 35.
Scott

Shok 05-29-2004 07:02 PM

thats alot closer lol

patf 05-29-2004 07:05 PM

look at bob covish's trailer at the dfw event. he has a 6 x 12 wells cargo that is chopped (i think 6 inches) so it sits about the same height as an suv. we towed it to tuscon, left the expy in overdrive doin 75 plus and it did not affect the mileage very much at all.

Shok 05-29-2004 07:07 PM

are you comming to town next week Pat?

bcovish 05-29-2004 07:39 PM

Shok

If a 5 x 8 Wells Cargo will with a side door will work for, I know where one is forsale in Sulphur Springs. He may be at the event next weekend.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has a side door. Makes life a whole lot easier.

Ditto on what Scott said, U-haul trailers are heavy.

Shok 05-29-2004 09:29 PM

got ya, I'll check yours out next week

Dawn Ellzey 05-30-2004 06:42 AM

Shok,

We also have a 6 X 12 Wells Cargo and it has served us well for 8 years. We will be at DFW Jets next weekend and you can look at ours also. As for Uhaul equipment, their metroplex repair and sales facility is in Grand Prairie on I30 but anything they sell will be worn out and I agree with Scott very heavy trailers.

Dawn

bcovish 05-30-2004 08:46 AM

Also, I don't remember ever seeing a U-Haul trailer with a side door.

Morning Dawn, Steven, Dee Dee & Star.

DavidR 05-30-2004 10:21 AM

Make sure and try to anticipate your future as well as your present needs before you buy a trailer. I am on my third airplane trailer now because of my addiction to this hobby. If you are planning to do much travelling, and or are travelling at all with others you need to take that into consideration. I also like to leave my airplanes assembled, both while travelling and at the events so bigger is better. I currently have a 7'x20' Wells Cargo, but am considering an even larger trailer.

Shok 05-30-2004 10:42 AM

Yeah I saw yours in Austin David, I could live in there!

RPM 05-30-2004 01:13 PM

Shok -

Your budget and brand preferences will obviously be big factors in your ulitmate choice, however, the latest style of Motor Cycle Trailers with their lower profile, are also gaining popularity for our hobby application.

Below is a Link to the Pace site and their upper end M/C unit. I second Bob's suggestion on the larger Front Curbside Door. IMHO, I also recommend a Tandem Axle vs Single because it's a smoother ride for the precious cargo inside. In the event you decide to sell it later on, I also believe that the Ramp Door will increase the potential buyer pool and result in a higher return on your original investment. Again, just my 2CW.

http://www.paceamerican.com/index.cf...roducts_legacy

Good luck.

rc4mike 05-31-2004 03:39 PM

I agree with everyone. I am on my 4th trailer. It's a Pace tandem axle. Much smoother than my other Wells cargo single axle rigs. I like this one...except it's too small. Always go with one much bigger than you need as you will need more space in the future. I want one taller so I can stand up in it and longer so I can fit an ATV in with the planes. Will be at DFW rodeo next weekend so you can see it as well. Ditto on the ramp at the rear.

Good luck

Mike Jensen

Mr-Shoe 05-31-2004 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shok-
I live in Littleton Colorado. I have a 1995 Wells Cargo trailer for sale, I bought it new and it is set up and ready for carrying models. Its about 7' x 16' and weighs about 1700# empty. Tandem axel, trosion bar suspension and has new tires. We have pulled it all over the country and behind an Excursion, you hardly know its there. It has a speed dome mounted on the front of the trailer to help reduce wind resistence. I'm not sure if my flyer came accross or not, but if not, e-mail me and I will send it directly to you. If you are coming to the Jefco War Bird event here in Denver this month, you can see it there. Also for sale is my Hot Spot, P-80 powered, ready to go less reciever (also on flyer).
Mike Shoemaker
[email protected]

Jetjock51 05-31-2004 11:10 PM

Roger Wagner of College Station, TX sells new Pace trailers. He has the best prices I have ever been quoted on a new one. You can contact him at:

[email protected]

or by phone: (979) 778-9464