Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help, stripping gears

Old 01-18-2018, 05:26 PM
kylejtuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, stripping gears

Hello I have a HPI wheely king with a castle brush less system and 2s lipo. I have bought the rc4wd metal gear kit for the gear box but was recommended not to use the metal spur gear. so i have been using the plastic 6990 spur gear that come stock on it. I have went through a couple and was wondering if there were any recommendations for a different spur gear or different gear ratio. The pinion gear i have on the motor is a 6928 48 pitch 28T gear. any recommendations would help
Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm sure you took HPI's (manual) advice on getting proper gear mesh?
Check bearings on drive shaft?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you have a gear mesh issue (too tight or loose)or a geometry issue between the transmission and the motor (alignment, worn bearings, bent parts, etc..)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:38 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyle, is this your first RC? Just wondering. First thing I'd check is the motor mount screws. Any RC screw that goes into metal needs thread lock applied. Loktite BLUE (Non-permanent bond). The screws could be coming loose and causing your spur to get chewed. Google "setting gear mesh with paper method" on you tube. This is the most reliable way to set your mesh until you get comfortable doing it by eye and feel. This should solve your problem, providing that the motor mount hasn't been bent, which would cause mis-alignment. Off the top of my head, I don't know if the Wheelie King has a slipper clutch, but if it does and it's properly adjusted, it's meant to prevent drive line stress. Check your manual.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:57 PM
kylejtuck

This is not even close to my first RC. But i have never used loctite on motor screws,so i will try it. Also the wheely king had a plastic spring slipper clutch in side the gearbox. but now that it has the metal gear kit in it, it has no slipper
Old 01-19-2018, 03:59 PM
kylejtuck

When i get my tax money back i was thinking about buying a traxxas E-revo brushless edition but i still wanted to get the wheely king running too.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by kylejtuck
Hello I have a HPI wheely king with a castle brush less system and 2s lipo. I have bought the rc4wd metal gear kit for the gear box but was recommended not to use the metal spur gear. so i have been using the plastic 6990 spur gear that come stock on it. I have went through a couple and was wondering if there were any recommendations for a different spur gear or different gear ratio. The pinion gear i have on the motor is a 6928 48 pitch 28T gear. any recommendations would help
What motor are you running?

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I'm sure you took HPI's (manual) advice on getting proper gear mesh?
Check bearings on drive shaft?
Picture from HPI's manual attached.

Besides checking the bearings, make sure to use a good steel pinion gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpi Manual.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	2251601  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Igottabeme

Check out what this guy did he had the same problem (but mainly check this)

4) i purshased the 48p 96 tooth spur gear and a 15 tooth 48p pinion gear from HPI and it was a bad idea. with the high power 7700kv brushless motor i have, the carbon fiber spur gear got destroyed in 15 min. i adapt a KIMBROUGH 32P SPUR 64T and a 15 T 32p pinion instead for durabilty. you only need to drill 2x 3mm holes in the plastic to fit it onto the hpi original spur holder.

Heres the full article
http://mczouav.blogspot.com/search?q=wheely+king

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-20-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:58 AM
RustyUs

Great info, but ^^^links not working
Old 01-20-2018, 04:15 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Mczouav's adventures: Search results for wheely king
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 PM
kylejtuck

It is currently running the 5700kv motor. I did not purchase the wheely king new so i had never seen that picture, Thank you. Also that was a very helpful link I will try upgrading to most of the stuff he said he did. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by kylejtuck
It is currently running the 5700kv motor. I did not purchase the wheely king new so i had never seen that picture, Thank you. Also that was a very helpful link I will try upgrading to most of the stuff he said he did. Thanks for all the help.
For some reason, I knew you were gonna say the 5700Kv Castle Creations's motor. Not saying that motor is the problem, or the gears can't handle the motor, but the term "overkill" comes to mind. Getting that much potential RPM from that motor; on a stop-n-go off-road 4x4 ...even more reason to have "perfect" mesh.