Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Losi Tenacity-t good for adult beginners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:00 AM
Chaswh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Tenacity-t good for adult beginners?

Thoughts on this model vs maybe a Traxxas model in this line? Thanks
Old 05-27-2018, 01:58 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would definitely get a Losi Tenacity-T over a Traxxas Stampede/Slash 4wd any day. Go and look at/read all the reviews you can on the platform. Every RC has it's little quirks. Sure, the Tenacity is a bit more "composite" than I would like, seeing it's coming from the "legendary" TEN platform, but Losi is trying to keep the cost reasonable.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:25 AM
Chaswh

Thanks. How do you feel about the Axail Yeti rtr or XL? Thanks again
Old 05-28-2018, 05:37 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Yeti was/is a popular platform, and the are after market parts available for it from RPM and others. Depending on what your idea of the perfect RC is, I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. The Yeti is made for rough terrain and rocks (it is a rock racer after all) but it's also fairly fast. Where the Losi is a straight up off road speed demon. Choices, choices!

Have you been to RCU's General Discussion forum and read the Sticky post RC Resources for the Beginner? It's got a lot of good basic information you'd find useful. Welcome! 😀
Old 05-28-2018, 06:51 AM
RustyUs

Exclamation Rock Racer?

Originally Posted by Chaswh
Thanks. How do you feel about the Axail Yeti rtr or XL? Thanks again
I would only suggest the Yeti to someone who strictly wants a rock racer. I kinda knew what to expect with the Yeti as I took almost 6 months of researching/flipflopping between many different RC platforms. I tried to fill my 1/10 scale 4wd short course/monster truck/eBuggy void with the Yeti. It didn't work out too well, but still is a blast to drive; even if I don't go above 22MPH anymore . Rock racers are kinda nose heavy; probably for uphill driving weight bias I'm assuming.

Some initial upgrading is needed to make Yeti perform better out of the box... mainly tire inserts, springs, and doing something to the steering system/servo saver. If you like chasing after a RC to flip it over, a high gripping Yeti platform might be for you.

Depending on budget, a 4wd short course truck, or 1/8 scale eBuggy might be something to think about.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-28-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many choices from different brands to different models. Narrow your choices down to your budget and what you expect to do with it. 4wd vesatility get a short course you can run it on a track and like some do turn it in to a monster truck or turn them into speed runners. Just bashing around in the grass and the backyard I would get a monster truck.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Igottabeme
So many choices from different brands to different models. Narrow your choices down to your budget and what you expect to do with it. 4wd vesatility get a short course you can run it on a track and like some do turn it in to a monster truck or turn them into speed runners. Just bashing around in the grass and the backyard I would get a monster truck.
Where is that RCU like button at?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 AM
Chaswh

Thanks for the feed back and info. Liking the Losi Rock Rey 4wd RTR. Seems like an older model than the Tenacity. Thoughts again? Thanks
Old 05-29-2018, 01:46 PM
EXT2Rob

If a rock racer is something that gets your juices flowing, then yeah why not?

​​​​​What are you wanting to do with an RC? What's your goal? See, different types of vehicles are designed for different things. If your main goal is going fast, then a rock racer is probably not for you. But if you have the terrain, and seeing how fast you can negotiate the rocks and trails, then it probably is. Where do you plan to use your new RC?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Chaswh

Thanks EXT2Rob. I purchased the Losi TENACITY-T. Like how it runs. I wouldn’t mind getting a rock climber all terrain RC as well (I can see this is about to get $$$$). Thinking down the road,,,, I may can do some upgrades and race the TENACITY and have a true fun basher with maybe the Losi Rey or yeti. For now they will both be kinda backyard bashers? Better Rey or Yeti? Thanks again
Old 05-29-2018, 03:48 PM
EXT2Rob

Alright!! Congratulations! 🙌 An welcome to the addiction! Oh yeah, the purchase price of the vehicle is only the entry price! Now you need a good LiPo charger, batteries, tools, lubes, fluids.... I hope your wife is understanding. And you have room on the Visa. 😀
Old 05-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Chaswh

EXT2Rob, I purchased a 680 AC charger and purchased 3 Lipo 5200mah 35c tattu batteries. Very long run time. Too cool! Don’t know NOTHING about fluids and oil��������?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:09 PM
EXT2Rob

Ah, cool! Good choices.
fluids and oils...depends on what you're starting with. That info should be in the manual. Most of the time, RTRs come with, if anything, grease in the differentials. You'll want to use silicon differential fluid of the appropriate thickness in each diff. Diff fluids come in "weights" or thicknesses from 3000wt to 50,000wt and higher. Your manual should have suggestions, but if not, try starting with 5k/10k/8k, in the front/middle/rear diffs respectively. The thicker center fluid will help keep power going more evenly front and rear, and the rear from diffing-out.

The other fluid is shock fluid. The Tenacity probably comes with 30wt fluid. You may want to go up to 40wt if you think it's bottoming out off jumps too much.

After a dozen or so battery packs, you may need to service the shocks and diffs again, so you'll need to keep them on hand for top ups and rebuilds. Shock seals only last so long and eventually need replacing, then the shock needs to be completely refilled with fresh fluid.

You see where this is going.......
But it's normal.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:39 AM
Chaswh

EXT2Rob, again thanks a lot. How am where do you add these fluids? Do I take the diffs apart? Guess I can YouTube those. Another question,,,, I notice sometimes I don’t have reverse, I have braking but pause and trigger fwd again and no reverse. I noticed it in Vegas when I brought it. Took back to hobby shop and of course it was fine. It did it at home yesterday and it wasn’t in my mind. Lol. It drove every bit of 45 min Sunday on a single battery’s charge and no reverse problems. Tuesday, less than 15 min and reverse problems. Everything thing else seems fine. Also changed batteries in radio 2x, thinking that was the problem. Dx3 radio I think I now have. Want an excuse to get the dc5 radio. Thanks ang help please
Old 05-30-2018, 02:23 AM
Chaswh

SPM DX5C Radio
Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 AM
EXT2Rob

Um, do you not have the owners manual? If not, you can probably download it. Yes, to service the differentials they need to be removed from the car, which requires a certain amount of disassembly. For the shocks, just pop those off and open the caps. Rebuilding them will require information from the manual.

As for the sporadic reverse issue, I'm afraid that sounds like a manufacturer defect. Contact Losi about that. They should send you another ESC.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Chaswh

EXT2Rob, man thanks for your insight and help! Called Horizon and they want me to send in the esc and it will be a 7 day wait once they get it and test. Not counting mailing it in this could take up to a month. Don’t want to do that. I just paid $$$ to get this now and you saying I’m down for a while. OUCH!! Will recalibrate the esc and see what happens. Man!! Funny the tech never said that but just send it in ,,,,,,,, no, did you do this or that or let’s try this??!!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:33 PM
EXT2Rob

D'OH😫 Forgot to suggest that. Yes, calibrate the transmitter throttle to the ESC, that should take care of that reverse problem. If it doesn't....yeah that sucks they expect you to have a useless new car for a month. That's ridiculous. If the calibration doesn't do it do this:

Send an email to Horizon cs with a picture of your proof of purchase, and inform them that the car is just defective. And that you would like to request an RMA for an exchange. Actually, start with the entity that you bought it from. Tower Hobbies? Tell THEM you received a defective product and would like an exchange. They should do that. They will send you a return merchandise authorization number, with instructions on how to mail your car back including that RMA number on the box. They'll send you a whole new car. You'll probably have to eat the shipping. Screw Horizon cs, they take for effing ever.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Chaswh

EXT2Rob, it did ok today so far but very little time. Lots of on and off rain here so will see what it does on a longer run. Now, will they exchange as I do have some bruising on the frame and chassis? That may have fixed it ,,,,,don’t know yet. I was looking at the Rey or Monster Truck, now ,,,,,I’m scared cause of CS. Again thanks so much for all your help and suggestions
Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 PM
EXT2Rob

Nah, don't be scared of the people who are supposed to help you. Just tell em "Look, I just got this nice cool truck, only run a couple packs on it, and I discover it's got this defect...I can't get it to reverse consistently or at all sometimes. Can I just please exchange it for a new one and call it good?" I think you'd be happy with it once you had a non-defective ESC. Lemme know how it goes after the rain lets up and the street dries out.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:55 PM
Chaswh

EXT2Rob, will do and thanks so much! May email you. [email protected]
Old 05-31-2018, 05:29 AM
EXT2Rob

Use the messaging feature of this forum. Posting your email address is not a good idea. Bots. Happy to chat. 😀
Old 05-31-2018, 09:00 AM
Chaswh

Ok will do. Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 AM
EXT2Rob

Hey Chas! Just saw your PMs. Sorry for the delay in responding. My tablet that I use more frequently theses days I guess doesn't show me I have messages.
Glad to hear you got Losi to just ship you a new one. AND you DIDN'T have to send back the old one! SCORE!!! Free spare parts! Excellent!