Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's Ultra Flash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's Ultra Flash

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:22 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Marty. You and Mark both mentioned low rate but unless I missed it, the manual only gives one rate. Can anyone tell me the travel for low vs high rate on the Ailerons and Elevator. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:05 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Thanks Marty. You and Mark both mentioned low rate but unless I missed it, the manual only gives one rate. Can anyone tell me the travel for low vs high rate on the Ailerons and Elevator. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
The memory ain't what it used to be. I think when I set up the plane I set up dual rates and my low rate is less than the recommended single rate that is given in the manual. Probably about 20% off of the recommended rate. So that is what I mean by low rate. The recommended rate was too sensitive for me even with expo. It might be perfect for you but it's always good to have "on the fly" options for a maiden and then remove them once you have it dialed in.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:14 PM
MaJ. Woody

That's what I was thinking. I will program that in the morning.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 AM
MaJ. Woody

Three great flights on the Flash today before the wind got to be too much. Full report to follow.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:03 PM
SECRET AGENT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats brother!
Old 06-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Congrats! I will maiden next weekend for sure!! Thanks for all the write ups!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:05 PM
afterburner

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Three great flights on the Flash today before the wind got to be too much. Full report to follow.
Congrats Dom!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:09 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Dom at Titusville today...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170624_102705.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2221461  
Old 06-25-2017, 03:21 PM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Guys!

So I logged three flights in a 15 plus knot cross wind.

First Flight: The jet tracked like an arrow down the runway and built speed fast thanks to my New Cheetah SE. Once I rotated I could not believe how fast she was accelerating. Much quicker than any Scale Jet I had flown. It felt solid so shortly after lift off I decided to test the roll rate. As Mark warned it was dizzying. I took everyone's advice and programed dual rates for the maiden. I quickly switched to low rate and made my first turn. Then another first for me, I pulled it back to half throttle! Even at this setting we believe she is cruising well above 150. I felt like I was running out of elevator in the turns so I slowed up a bit more. Ailerons were right on with no trim needed but I needed 1mm up trim. I am guessing the sluggish elevator and up trim was due to being balanced at 220mm.Still it felt solid so on the next circuit I pushed up the power for a low pass. All I can say is it was low and Hot! From there I pulled up into the vertical and experienced a rate of climb that no jet I have owned ever came close to. I rolled her over and headed back down. Time to test the flap mix. First notch is 15 degrees with 1.5mm down elevator. Perfect with no noticeable pitch or roll! Now landing flap of 3" with 5mm down elevator. Perfect again, no wing rock and the nose just below the horizon. Nice and predictable. I have the flaps set for slow deployment and retraction by the way. Next pass was a gear pass and then on to the down wind. I eased the power just before turning base and made a constant base to final turn maintaining a slightly nose down attitude. Rolling out on final I leveled out and let her glide down the groove. The cross wind was not helping to slow the jet so she floated on down before settling on the mains. I applied the brakes and it was if I was on ice with the jet sliding around. Guess I will take advantage of the proportional properties of the UP6 on the next landing. I kept the flight short, about 4.5 min since I was not sure about the time I would get with that thirsty Cheetah. Well I was surprised to find I had just used the saddle and the main tank was still full!

At this point I measured my control throws and set the main rates to these measurements with a bit more aileron removed and some elevator added. I then disabled the dual rate functionality. I did not use Expo on the maiden so there was no work to do there.I was back to normal meaning one rate and zero expo. I also added a bit more landing flap.

The second take off was just as exhilarating as the first with a nice series of rolls on take off. Ahh the ailerons are approaching perfect for my taste. I pushed up the timer another 30 second for this flight. Ok let see how she handles. 4 point rolls were crisp and smooth, slow rolls were a sight to behold with the jet seemingly on a rail. On one pass I slowed the roll so much that I though the jet would be out of sight before making it a full 360 degrees. Another low pass and into the vertical with rolls on the way up. Yuk! This thing is wobbling like crazy. Knife edge passes were next with no noticeable roll coupling. Just a slight amount of rudder needed at these speeds. I don't have any mixes in place with the rudder. Gear pass and another smooth landing. I think the extra flap helped but don't feel I am close to how slow the jet will land. Again the cross wind was not helping a bit and I could not forget about the guy in Daves thread who snapped his Ultra Flash on final. This time I eased in the brakes and slowed to a stop straight ahead with no skidding. Too late though cause that first episode shredded a lot of life from my new tires! Ok fuel check...I cant believe it I am into the main tank but just barely!

Ok At this point the only thing I was not happy with was that wobble during the vertical rolls. I put in some more differential but it turns out that I went the wrong way having added more up travel than down. More on that in a moment.

Third flight: Man its getting windy. Oh well off we go. This flight I did more of the same maneuvers as the previous two flights but added a huge loop. Ok what I really want to know is how will the vertical rolls look. Well strangely they were better with the increased up travel but still ugly. Time for landing. Man its windy! She's floating a bit and landing long. I touched down with too much speed and the flash bounced back in the air. Full power for a moment as she settle back. I got lucky as there was not another bounce. I was fearing PIO but got away without one. This was a testament to how strong this airframe is as I did not have any damage and even managed to avoid any scrapes. Not a scratch. Oh well chalk that one up to pilot error. Fuel check: at 6 minutes and only about 1/4 of the way into the main tank. I am guessing I will end up with the timer at 6.5 min with enough fuel for a couple go arounds. We will have to see though because When the jet is finally dialed in I may be pushing it harder and that will burn more fuel.

Today I went over the entire jet and was happy to see everything as it should be. I made some more control adjustments having reached out to you guys about the differential in Dave's thread. I measured my travels and kept them but just reversed them so I have 1/16" more travel down than up. What a coincidence that that is exactly what Dave had recommended in his response. I have three things I still need to evaluate over time and in more favorable conditions....Aileron differential to get rid of that wobble, Max flap: I may continue to add more, I am at about 3.25" right now, and the CG. I would like to move it back but to add tail weight I would need to rip everything out so that is going to have to wait.

Well she is all set for the next outing. I am on vacation starting Friday so with any luck I can get about 20 flights in before Art's meet.

Last edited by MaJ. Woody; 06-25-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Where did you settle on your final throws?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:07 PM
MaJ. Woody

Here is where I am for now but it will most likely continue to evolve.

Ailerons: 3/8 up 7/16 down
Elevator: 11/16 up and down
Take Off Flap: 15 degrees and 1.5mm down elevator
Landing Flap: 3 1/4 and 5mm down elevator

Keep in mind that I don't use any expo and that I am balanced at 220mm. If I add tail weight I would suspect I could remove some elevator throw. The jury is still out on this. I need a dozen landings into a headwind to know where I stand.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 PM
setxws6

Good first flights. Glad to hear the Cheetah is only sipping the fuel!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:04 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:06 AM
MaJ. Woody

At 3 1/4 " I am at about 82mm of flap. I think for the 4th flight, I am going to try 95mm and see if I can get rid of that floating. I must say that the residual thrust on the Cheetah is not helping. It will roll on a level surface just idling.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:35 AM
setxws6

What's its idle rpm at? 90mm flaps will help for sure. You can always cut power earlier and also make a shallower approach.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 PM
MaJ. Woody

Its like 34-35K and about a pound of thrust at idle. I have 3 3/4" landing flap now (95mm) so it should really help slow her down compared to the 3" I started with. I had 3 1/4 on he last flight. And yes I did make a long shallow approach. That has always typically been my landing style.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:58 PM
setxws6

Ok well mines up there in the 90+mm on flaps and it works great. I also have the front gear door that folds down with the nose gear and that has a little air brake effect too. I think my Rhino KS idles around 33-34k. With no head wind I can cut the throttle to idle about 100- 150 before the runway and it'll just slowly desend down increasing the pitch more and more on flare.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 AM
MaJ. Woody

That sounds about right. I remember with my FeiBao Panther I needed to go to idle before turning base and it would like through the downwind to base and base to final turn. This feels very similar to that. A lot different than and F-4 or F-18 which I am used to.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM
General Jake

Dom, is there any video?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:36 AM
MaJ. Woody

Hi Chris.
there was some limited Cell Phone Video. You will have to see it in person. Cant wait to fly them together!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:48 PM
roger.alli

Thanks for the great thread Dom.

The Ultra flash has been covered here on RCU many times, but your take on it has been an absolute pleasure to read.. lots of good tips and methods covered here, which are well explained and photographed.

Thanks for taking the time.

There is hope for RCU yet!!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 PM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks so much for the kind words. Knowing that people enjoy the build threads serves as my inspiration. I am Getting ready to order my next kit and am undecided on whether to do a build thread or not. I am close to pulling the trigger on a 1:7.5 Skymaster F-4C. Stuck on the color scheme right now but leaning towards VF-51.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:41 PM
General Jake

Glad you're back.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Chris! Vacation starts today so.I am hoping to get lots of flying in. The weather may have other ideas however. If we cant fly the Cessna to Frankfort Highland this weekend, maybe we can next weekend. I would like to see the site again before the Jet Rally. I remember it being nice.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Dom,
On flying in to Frankfort-Highland send me a PM with your ETA to meet at the airport. Will give you the 50 cent tour.
Rgds,
Art

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.