Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Two different worlds of RC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Two different worlds of RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Two different worlds of RC

There seems to be two very different community’s flying RC and we don’t seem to interact very much. We also seem to use very different gear but still basically do the same flying. I find this puzzling.

I´m of course referring to the FPV drone community. The y use different brands of radio gear than we do. Similar specs but a tenth of the price, Jumper T16 vs. our high end radios. They use advanced flight control systems like Betaflight and iNav that we don´t know much about and they combine products from many sources for their set ups. They have their own telemetry systems tied to their flight controllers that don´t talk to our high end radios and vice versa. Two worlds of RC.

Isn’t this strange.

Jannica
Sweden
Old 12-11-2019, 02:27 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jannica, I am afraid your comment will not be very welcome in a USA forum!

After all in USA -and honestly in many European countries- we are many who think that new imposed laws and restrictions on RC are directly related to drone flying and, more specifically, to the FPV community.

So who cares about what they may be using "against" of all us!

From my personal point of view, that they use whatever they may till they are totally forbidden (in Spain now they are only legally allowed "in line of sight" range and always relying on a helper which must always keep an eye that model), but sure I will never rely on their cheap equipment for any of my models as many gadgets they may have.

Best Regards.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:30 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an FPV racing quad that I fly - as do several of my RC jet friends. Its a different experience and skill set that's fun to beat around with sometimes - always according to the AMA safety code, of course.

However, its totally different than RC jet flying - which is all about the experience of "hand flying" the jet and watching it fly as you do so. Our equipment is technically as sophisticated as the FPV folks, but its designed for a different purpose.

As far as cost is concerned, spending around $1000 for a high-end transmitter (or more) doesn't make sense for a $250 FPV racing quad, but I'd never fly a $5000+ jet on a $125 transmitter - YMMV.

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 12-11-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Digital Pilot

I don't mean to be a stink, but FPV IS NOT the same as the RC Community. We need to make sure these are classified as separate interests.

I know most jet guys that us only HI-End radios and would never use a cheaper radio on a jet.
I also know jet guys who use the cheaper radios as used in some FPV for there jets. With the cheaper radios I do feel that you are taking more of a failure risk due to quality and some components. I do fly with a top brand radio system and one of the main reasons why is the QC, components, testing and ability to call one of the best support team group members if I have a question. I know most of the guys using the Horus X12S and other less expensive like the open source and are very savvy with the programming. I personally have not seen any RF failures but have seen switches, screens and knobs go bad. I personally will stick to the name brand for the above reasons but am impressed with some of less expensive radios out there, they have come along ways over the past few years.

My 2 Cents
Old 12-11-2019, 09:14 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

My personal opinion, with the regulations and restrictions now imposed on RC modeling in Canada I wish that drones and FPV flying would just be eliminated. Yeah I know, one shouldnt punish the masses for the actions of the few but the responsible rc modelers, the ones who have built this hobby and created the drive for better technology, the ones who have invested time and money into miniature aircraft and taken the responsibility upon themselves to ensure safe flying sights, rules to keep the hobby safe and tried to abide by those rules for decades are now being punished by the hoards of best buy shoppers that buy a drone and think it's ok to fly it over an airport or peoples yards. They think it's ok to fly them through parks or other populated areas. Sure the blame should be on the retailers for not offering the education needed to safely operate these things but with online shopping so prevalent that's an impossible task. As far as I'm concerned the biggest step forward we could take in this hobby would be to see the drone revolution shut down before we lose what is left of our freedoms in rc modeling.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Mikey5547

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think we should distance our hobby from drones, the more we integrate the more the government and aviation safety organisations see everything as one and next time some idiot decides to fly a drone over a airport again they will punish everyone.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Digital Pilot

Originally Posted by Mikey5547
I think we should distance our hobby from drones, the more we integrate the more the government and aviation safety organisations see everything as one and next time some idiot decides to fly a drone over a airport again they will punish everyone.
To late I'm afraid, they already see the Model aircraft and Drones as one. Have a read of what they are calling a drone strike with a news helicopter in Cali a couple days ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...eight-n1096751
Old 12-11-2019, 02:57 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jannica
There seems to be two very different community’s flying RC and we don’t seem to interact very much. We also seem to use very different gear but still basically do the same flying. I find this puzzling.

I´m of course referring to the FPV drone community. The y use different brands of radio gear than we do. Similar specs but a tenth of the price, Jumper T16 vs. our high end radios. They use advanced flight control systems like Betaflight and iNav that we don´t know much about and they combine products from many sources for their set ups. They have their own telemetry systems tied to their flight controllers that don´t talk to our high end radios and vice versa. Two worlds of RC.

Isn’t this strange.

Jannica
Sweden
Taranis users are well aware of FOS drone world along with the JT-16,

The well tried and true lock on signal and lack of drama with the TX\RX combo's seeing those companies "borrowed" protocols from everybody and their mothers.

I'd have no problem flying anything with JT-16 running OTX