Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why Futaba does not offer BNF?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why Futaba does not offer BNF?????

Or you can do this with it. Weighs 1.6 oz.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 PM
frivera12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the RX-R airplanes and helis are the things to stay.......
Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty certain that futaba and kyosho would get together and do their own range, so far i have been proved wrong though.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

I opted to go with the Spektrum DM8 module for my trusty old Futaba 8UAF, but
I'm not sure I made a good choice. After binding the module to an AR7000
reciever, the servos "shake" or constantly "vibate". Same thing happened
when I tried it in my Parkzone Wildcat with the AR500 reciever. Horizon's tech
guy says they will replace the module. Any ideas before I send it back?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Flypaper 2

I'd be borrowing or trying another rcvr just for a test. The AR500 has been known to have many problems.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:15 PM
dryverman

As I said, had the same problem with an AR7000. The AR500 works fine using
a Spektrum DX5e tx.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a Spektrum Module installed in my XP9303 for several years. I use it with a couple of AR9000's, several AR6100's, and an AR7000.

Are you using a 6v Rx battery? If so, are the servos rated for 6v?

The other issues I have had with Shaky servos have been the result of using cheap Y Harness and extensions. I prefer to use Extensions and Y Harness's of at least 20ga-22ga. I really avoid using a Y Harness at all because I have had more problems with them than any other issue.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM
frivera12

Looking at the Futaba webpage it mentions at the 2.4FHSSdrop downmenusomething about "FTR"(Futaba Transmitter Ready) aircraft. Are these the BNF from Futaba??? When are these planes going to be available for sale?? I'm ready to jump to a DX7-DX8 but Iwould like to give Futaba a chance............
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
pilotpete2

This is an old thread, but your catching that detail is very interesting, first time I've heard of FTR[8D]
I certainly hope that the FHSS update is released for the 8GH!!
Here's the link for anyone interested.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/technology/fhss.html
Pete
Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
karenheli

ORIGINAL: TimBle

However, what seems like a good idea has a downside. Each BNF and PnP model is an additional stock keeeping unit (SKU). Each of those has to have a home from marketing all theway through to planning, manufacturing, packaging and distribution, warehousing and sales reporting.

Each of those SKU's needs to be managed for P&L and also needs to fit into the companies marketing strategy.

To support a BNF type of product would mean Hobbico will require Futaba's complete commitment to the parkflyer market and that is an area that Futaba is only now starting to push into.
I am by your side for this standpoint, it is not vital to choose way of selling for a businessman , No matter what kind of selling method you choose, improving sale amount will be a great thing for them.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:31 AM
TimBle

FTR is likely the Futaba / Hobbio BNF type product. Been over a year since this discusson got off the ground (pun intended).

A birdie whispered in my ear last year that this was on the way and that it wouldhave features not yet seen in this market. Well I guess its almost here , ...maybe maybe not
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

BNF is great for those just starting off in this. Once you have a few planes and helis and can fly, then it's time for the real stuff!  The problem I found with PNP or RxR planes is the cost to add the RX and batteries exceeds the cost of the BNF version.  If you do what I did, get planes that use the same packs, then it is a more feasible approach.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: acdii

BNF is great for those just starting off in this. Once you have a few planes and helis and can fly, then it's time for the real stuff! The problem I found with PNP or RxR planes is the cost to add the RX and batteries exceeds the cost of the BNF version. If you do what I did, get planes that use the same packs, then it is a more feasible approach.
Bind and Fly aircraft, such as Parkzone, come with all the components installed and Ready to Fly. That includes Rx, Servos, Batteries, ESC, and Motor. It is the Plug and Play versions that require the additional expense and installation time.

Many of these aircraft are not just for beginners, in fact the Warbird series requires an experienced pilot.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM
rmh

BNF is certainly not just for beginners - We have a group of indoor fliers who love this stuff and we all have or had stuf up to 42 % - contest scale - F1 racers- Pattern flyers ,IMAC TOC -you name it
Bind n Fly is fun and that's why they sell like the proverbial hotcakes.
Futaba will likely get into the game - now that they have a radio series which should adapt it's self to the miniature systems (much like the 6400 rx from Spektrum)
Hobbico obviously sees the size of this market and want's to be a player
Can't blame em and it remains to be seen how well they do at it.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Silent-AV8R

I do not think Futaba will be doing this directly. I suspect that it will be done by Great Planes with the blessing of Futaba to use their equipment and name in the marketing.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

So will I be able to use my 6EX if and when BNF becomes abailable? Or will it be outdated as my DX6 is? I'm concerned that we're about to enter a game where transmitters will need to be replaced a bit more often than I would like.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM
pilotpete2

Probably not. The FTR seems to be FHSS and that leaves the 6EX and 7C out of the game. They already do have an FHSS conversion module for those radios that are module based.
Pete
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really hoping Futaba comes out with an update for the 8FG/12FG/12Z/14MZ/18MZ that allows a software selection to transmit on either FHSS or FASST. That would open up a whole new world of foamies and micro planes that are similar to the BNF stuff I'm now flying with a Spektrum DX7.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 AM
TimBle

it will come only once the 18MZ is available.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
frivera12

ORIGINAL: Bruno Stachel

So will I be able to use my 6EX if and when BNF becomes abailable? Or will it be outdated as my DX6 is? I'm concerned that we're about to enter a game where transmitters will need to be replaced a bit more often than I would like.

I'm in the same situation. I'm currently flying the 6EX(been great with no problems so far)but from the information Ihave gathered from other forums the 6EX and 7C will be become dinosaurs very soon. Ithink if these FTR's airplanes become available soon one option is to get a Futaba 6J or wait for the 8J. The other Futaba radios will be in the upper leagues..............If not the DX's are readily available.........
Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 AM
acdii

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

BNF is great for those just starting off in this. Once you have a few planes and helis and can fly, then it's time for the real stuff! The problem I found with PNP or RxR planes is the cost to add the RX and batteries exceeds the cost of the BNF version. If you do what I did, get planes that use the same packs, then it is a morefeasible approach.
Bind and Fly aircraft, such as Parkzone, come with all the components installed and Ready to Fly. That includes Rx, Servos, Batteries, ESC, and Motor. It is the Plug and Play versions that require the additional expense and installation time.
Um, I do believe that is what I said.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 AM
BuschBarber

BNF is great for those just starting off in this. Once you have a few planes and helis and can fly, then it's time for the real stuff! The problem I found with PNP or RxR planes is the cost to add the RX and batteries exceeds the cost of the BNF version. If you do what I did, get planes that use the same packs, then it is a more feasible approach.

Sorry!! I must have suffered a Brain Cramp.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 AM
acdii

BNF is great for those just starting off in this. Once you have a few planes and helis and can fly, then it's time for the real stuff! The problem I found with PNP or RxR planes is the cost to add the RX and batteries exceeds the cost of the BNF version. If you do what I did, get planes that use the same packs, then it is a morefeasible approach.

Po Noblem, had me scratching my head there for a few minutes.

Oh BTW, I didnt mean it to sound as if it was only for beginners, I meant it was good for someone who has nothing, and can have an easy way to get started with hardware. If you are already an established RC'r and have radios already, it isnt so good unless you have a Spektrum radio that works with them.

Igood way to get started is with a RTR that has something like a DX6i in it, but those that have FM radios are not so good to start with.

It just dawned on me, with my last purchase, I now have nearly $4K invested in this stuff this year. Most of it BNF, only the Apprentice was a RXR, the T-34 was RTF, the rest BNF. My latest plane is under construction and instead of getting another Spektrum RX, bought a Futabe 8FG Super with 2 RX. I'm lazy, rather buy a radio and RX that fits the plugs on the Servos, than make the plugs fit the RX Ialready have. LOL

Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 AM
BuschBarber

Po Noblem, had me scratching my head there for a few minutes.

Oh BTW, I didnt mean it to sound as if it was only for beginners, I meant it was good for someone who has nothing, and can have an easy way to get started with hardware. If you are already an established RC'r and have radios already, it isnt so good unless you have a Spektrum radio that works with them.

I good way to get started is with a RTR that has something like a DX6i in it, but those that have FM radios are not so good to start with.

It just dawned on me, with my last purchase, I now have nearly $4K invested in this stuff this year. Most of it BNF, only the Apprentice was a RXR, the T-34 was RTF, the rest BNF. My latest plane is under construction and instead of getting another Spektrum RX, bought a Futabe 8FG Super with 2 RX. I'm lazy, rather buy a radio and RX that fits the plugs on the Servos, than make the plugs fit the RX I already have. LOL

One thing I found out early on was that ports on the Spektrum receivers are so tight, even 3rd party JR/Spektrum compatible connectors are difficult to plug in without some sanding. Now if you want to plug in a Futaba male connector, it takes quite a bit of shaping before it will fit in and be easily removed. JR receivers do not seem to have that tight of a tolerance.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 AM
acdii

Agreed, I have one in the T-34 and plugging in the wing is a PITA, and that is with Eflite servos! I guess tight is better than loose though.

I started reading the Futaba manual, had to put it down, my eyes crossed. Man can that radio do a LOT. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.