Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why Futaba does not offer BNF?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 AM
frivera12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Futaba does not offer BNF?????

Why Futaba along with Great Planes, Hobbico etc does not offer models with the BNF specs??? I know that they are offering some RX-R models but it will be easier to just BNF like the other brand.......
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Why Futaba does not offer BNF?????

Good question. I wish they would
Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Mikecam

Seems to me they are missing the boat on this one. I was ready to buy a cheap dx5 (Yes I need help ) but the $30 RX from HK put that idea to rest.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Silent-AV8R

Would you be willing to pay the extra cost of having a receiver installed and plugged in already?

The RxR only requires that you stick a RX in and plug it in. It is the same thing as the Plug-n-Play that Parkzone offers. Either way you supply your own RX.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I broke down and bought a ParkZone Night Vapor. I love it! Never had a slow-flyer that would fly in my front yard. If there had been a Futaba-compatible Bind and Fly airplane available, I would have bought one of them first, but...

I agree that Great Planes is missing the boat with the bind-n-fly stuff.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Silent-AV8R

I still do not get it. I have several PZ planes. I bought the PnP version, put a R6004FF RX in it and go have fun. Is plugging in your RX really that big of a deal??
Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I still do not get it. I have several PZ planes. I bought the PnP version, put a R6004FF RX in it and go have fun. Is plugging in your RX really that big of a deal??
Nowhere near all of the PZ products are available PnP. Most that are not are not easily convertable and even if they are, it is probably not cost justifiable to do so.

Like many others here, I bought a DX6i just for my BnF PZ stuff. Hated to but it was the only practical answer. I bought the PnP T28D and 300 simply because I wanted them on my 14MZ for programming reasons and because I try to keep my bigger stuff on the Futaba.

It's Great Planes (I know. It's all the same.) that's missing the boat here. PZ is driving people to JR and/or Spektrum simply because of the availability of their BnF and RTF stuff. It's really a brilliant marketing ploy and they should be applauded for it. What's really amazing is that GP/Futaba can't seem to see the forest for the trees. As far as I know, they don't even OFFER any BnF or RTF stuff. It's not like they don't have the planes that they could do it with.

I love the hobby and I got out a few years ago for a while simply because I don't have time to build anymore. Even ARFs became a problem with time. I build good and I certainly enjoy it but I just don't have the luxury of the time anymore. I think this is the case with a lot of folks these days and I applaud Horizon for recognizing this growing segment of the hobby. A lot of the reason I got involved again at all was because I started reading about all the great BnF and PnP stuff PZ was putting out. I jumped back in with both feet. It's really a shame. Great Planes has a bunch of great models I drool for but just don't have the time to build so I'll probably never own most of them unless it's second-hand.

Great Planes is really missing the boat here IMHO. Their entire marketing staff, if they even have one, should be fired and replaced.

Maybe one day. One can dream.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
TimBle

ParkZone seems to have jumped onto a novel concept with BNF and PnP.

Hobbico (Futaba, Great Planes) certainly has enough products in their portfolio to offer BNF and Pnp. They do offer RX-R in some models, if would be great if they could offer that across the entire Electrifly range.

However, what seems like a good idea has a downside. Each BNF and PnP model is an additional stock keeeping unit (SKU). Each of those has to have a home from marketing all theway through to planning, manufacturing, packaging and distribution, warehousing and sales reporting.

Each of those SKU's needs to be managed for P&L and also needs to fit into the companies marketing strategy.

Horizon and Hobbico are set up verydifferently. It may be a very conscious choice to not offer everything inRx-R simply due to the cost of the complexity of managingthe product marketing and supply chain.
In the mean time they offer fantastic ARF's and Kits and market the best Radio technology for RC flight. Thats not a bad thing at all. It just means their focus is in a different place to Horizon Hobbies.

To support a BNF type of product would mean Hobbico will require Futaba's complete commitment to the parkflyer market and that is an area that Futaba is only now starting to push into.

I beleive more Rx-R will be forthcomng but it will take a year or two to competedirectly with Parkzone (Horizon)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: WilsonFlyer
I bought the PnP T28D and 300 simply because I wanted them on my 14MZ for programming reasons and because I try to keep my bigger stuff on the Futaba.
Why not just buy the Spektrum module for the 14MZ?

Another point is that Futaba and Great Planes are totally separate companies. Horizon owns both PZ and Spektrum so it is far easier for them to offer an integrated product. I know it sounds like a little thing, but it is not.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Seems to me they are missing the boat on this one. I was ready to buy a cheap dx5 (Yes I need help ) but the $30 RX from HK put that idea to rest.
I have a Dx5 that came in an RTF Parkzone Corsair.. Please take my word for it.. the capabilityand feel of the DX6i is FAR superior to a DX5... if you want Spektrum BNF... don't buy anyting less than a DX6i.. Mine has over 1500 flights logged now on several different planes and e-flight helisand not a single issue.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: WilsonFlyer
I bought the PnP T28D and 300 simply because I wanted them on my 14MZ for programming reasons and because I try to keep my bigger stuff on the Futaba.
<snip> Why not just buy the Spektrum module for the 14MZ?

<snip>
Messy. Too many wires hanging all over the place. Not clean enough for my tastes. That's a shame too but it's another story all together. Had they made their module like the FASST module from Futaba, you're right. It would have been a no-brain decision. It's what I wanted to do initially (of course) but I just couldn't bring myself to live with it once I installed it in my LHS and saw what it looked like. Too many things to potentially go wrong.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 PM
secretsg

I think this comes down to differences between how GP and Horizon operates. Horizon owns spektrum technology + E-Flite / Losi etc. While JR still makes the radios, the spektrum technology used in North America is owned by Horizon. This makes it easier for them to manufacturer the product according to their needs.

As far as I know FASST is 100% Futaba technology. They make the transmitter and chips. GP just distributes everything. I'm not sure how Futaba is interested in making BnF stuff for GP? You have to consider Futaba is a billion dollar company with many other interests than Hobby RC.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: secretsg I think this comes down to differences between how GP and Horizon operates. Horizon owns spektrum technology + E-Flite / Losi etc. While JR still makes the radios, the spektrum technology used in North America is owned by Horizon. This makes it easier for them to manufacturer the product according to their needs. As far as I know FASST is 100% Futaba technology. They make the transmitter and chips. GP just distributes everything. I'm not sure how Futaba is interested in making BnF stuff for GP? You have to consider Futaba is a billion dollar company with many other interests than Hobby RC.
BNF models were a good marketing scheme but with the swing away from DSM, many would be buyers here request PNP or swap out RX, micromodels excepted,which is then sold separately. Fads docome and go, like hoola hoops, so do not be surprised if more emphasis is placed on the marketing of the PNP versions so as to keep market share of ARTF (now also hyped as "RX-R") models.
"While JR still makes the radios, the spektrum technology used in North America is owned by Horizon" whilst a little off topic, some clarification:
2.4Ghz - Spektrum vs JR vs FHSS vs DSSS - Solutions & Future
2.4G hz - Difference' US & Europe + Spektrum DSM & JR DSM2 History

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Flypaper 2

Where is the swing away from DSM2? It's hot'n heavy over here

Gord.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 PM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I also wish Futaba teamed with thier distributor companies and offered BNF type stuff. I ended up buying a DX7 just because of BNF... those planes have a very large fun-factor for me... and what makes them have value is you can buy the BNF plane, and literally have it RTF in less time then it takes the battery to charge. Every one of them... and they fly fantastically.
I know there's planes that Tower/GreatPlanes/etc. carry that they would sell the daylights out of if they were some type of BNF... heck.. I would probably buy another Transmitter, or at least a new module for my 9C if that were the case.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 AM
flyingtheoldones
My Feedback: (1)

BNF???

DM
Old 11-18-2010, 08:03 AM
TimBle

Sorry Guys  I edited my post #8. Information came to me that indicates Hobbico is indeed the larger company.
All other opinion stand re the SKU's and P&L + marketing strategy.

I would like to add that I do not see the point of BNF. You get an airframe with everything inside but you still require a radio.

If you pruchase a PnP you need a battery and a Rx compatible with your Tx. Why hte need to purchase a Spektrum for BNF stuff?
You chose your radio based on criteria other than what Rx a plane comes with. The Tx is the driving seat for the pilot...

Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Flypaper 2

Bind N Fly. The plane is ready to fly when you get it. Bind it to your DSM2 Spektrum or JR radio and your good to go. PNP. Plug N Play
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM
MinnFlyer

The point of BNF is that the planes are usually so small that a standard Rx will not fit in them (See below).

Very often the planes can be purchased with a "Toy" transmitter, but you have the advantage of binding it to a "Real" transmitter so you can make use of features like Dual Rates, Expo, etc.

As for larger BNF models, well, let's face it, it's marketing. It's a way to get you to buy Spektrum.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Silent-AV8R

For very small installations I have been using the Futaba R6004FF FASST RX.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWHX6&P=SM

SPECS: Dimensions: 0.81 x 1.39 x 0.30" (20.5 x 35.3 x 7.5mm)
Weight: 0.13oz (3.8g) - 0.12 oz / 3.3 gr w/o case.

Works great and is small enough for all except the very smallest plane. I use it in planes up to the PZ Corsair and Extra 300 with superb results.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM
MinnFlyer

Yea, but I don't think the small BNF stuff even has servo wires, there is usually a circuit board that has "servos" built right into it along with the Rx
Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Flypaper 2

Plus an ESC.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Yea, but I don't think the small BNF stuff even has servo wires, there is usually a circuit board that has ''servos'' built right into it along with the Rx

Not sure, but if so then that would be one place you cannot do what I do. So people are either left to buy the RTF version, buy a Spektrum TX, or a Spektrum TX module for their Futaba radio.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
TimBle

or not buy the product at all and go for something from nine eagles...or flyzone
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just FYI - here's a picture of the Spektrum RX with servos. I think it's the same as the one used in the Vapor, the 1/2 oz carbon and "saran wrap" indoor flyer..

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...odID=SPMAR6400

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.