Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

See Jeff, I told you!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all good. I have had TF ARFs before, and didn't like the discrepancies. I actually like both the Spitfire and FW190. On both, I would fix the minor issues like dihedral when I assembled them. the spinner size on the Mustang and to a lesser degree, the P-40 drives me crazy.
Honestly, If I ran across the right deal, I would buy the Spit, 190, or P40 if I was in the Market for quick-fly ARF. Still bothers me that the manufactures can't get the simple stuff right. I do post these small issues in hopes that the manufacturers see them and listen.
Hangar 9's new Corsair seems to be pretty close to scale, albeit mucho $$$.
My biggest gripe is the small stuff that costs nothing to include in the design, dihedral, spinner size, gear angle, etc and they continue to do it time after time.

Last edited by JeffH; 08-08-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Well, I'm glad you guys like it. I think it kinda looks like doodoo. Among many other scale discrepancies it once again appears as if TF have seen fit to reduce the dihedral. I much prefer the big ESM version myself although chances are very good I won't be buying either of them so my opinion is probably moot anyway!
Discrepancies? Seriously, do some actually believe the manufacturer considers what a top gun judge may think of "detail correctness"?

99 percent of us care about 3 scale considerations in warbirds :

- do the wheels go up?
- can you tell what kind of warbird it is when it rips by on a low pass?
- is there some kind of pilot visible in the cockpit when it makes that pass?

The primary non-scale concern?

- Does it fly good?

I'll tell you what disappoints me the most is seeing a great looking, scale correct warbird on the ground, either never leave the ground or lumber around tentatively, overweight and under powered. That makes me sad.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
ronht
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The number of posts under the critics ID and the tone of their posts is pretty much a give-away of who you are dealing with here when it comes to these guys. Like I said, every club has some of these guys, experts on everything, critical of everything and always looking for an excuse as to why they never fly.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by Sharpy01
Discrepancies? Seriously, do some actually believe the manufacturer considers what a top gun judge may think of "detail correctness"?

99 percent of us care about 3 scale considerations in warbirds :

- do the wheels go up?
- can you tell what kind of warbird it is when it rips by on a low pass?
- is there some kind of pilot visible in the cockpit when it makes that pass?

The primary non-scale concern?

- Does it fly good?

I'll tell you what disappoints me the most is seeing a great looking, scale correct warbird on the ground, either never leave the ground or lumber around tentatively, overweight and under powered. That makes me sad.

All of that may be true Sharpy but none of it prohibits me from posting my opinion. And I am proud to be a member of that other 1% who care about a few things other than the three you mentioned. Also, and I know this because I've done it several times, I can assure you that it is possible to build a Spitfire with a great deal more scale fidelity than what TF is offering that flies just fine. To think otherwise simply shows your ignorance. If scale fidelity is not important to you, fine. I have no problem with that. So why do you have a problem with those of us for whom scale fidelity is of some level of importance? I'm not sure why some of you guys get so bent out of shape when somebody offers an opinion that is different from your own. If you like it, fine, go buy it. I don't get angry because you come here and tell me how great the TF Spitfire is when it does not look all that great to me. Different strokes for different folks. I get that, why can't you?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Chad Veich

Back to you Jeff.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
ronht

What you guys don't get is that this has for the most part been a great "build thread" where those of us who have the airplane have been sharing information on the aircraft's build and flight characteristics. That is until you critics who don't have the airplane, and don't want the airplane started taking over these pages *****ing about what you don't like about what you'll never own.

If you want to constantly complain, or more realistically, if you need to continually empower yourself by constantly complaining about what you don't like about this airplane, then go start a ***** thread and increase your post numbers there - at least then the rest of us can get back to sharing information that we are interested in and you guys can waste forum pages *****ing to each other about what you don't like - but hey, I realize with over 6000 posts you most likely lack the ability to even figure the simplicity of that concept out.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by ronht
What you guys don't get is that this has for the most part been a great "build thread" where those of us who have the airplane have been sharing information on the aircraft's build and flight characteristics. That is until you critics who don't have the airplane, and don't want the airplane started taking over these pages *****ing about what you don't like about what you'll never own.

If you want to constantly complain, or more realistically, if you need to continually empower yourself by constantly complaining about what you don't like about this airplane, then go start a ***** thread and increase your post numbers there - at least then the rest of us can get back to sharing information that we are interested in and you guys can waste forum pages *****ing to each other about what you don't like - but hey, I realize with over 6000 posts you most likely lack the ability to even figure the simplicity of that concept out.
And what you don't get is that this was started as a "Look what's new" thread and not a "build thread" at all. Why do you get turn it into a build thread and demand that everyone else play to your rules? In case you had not noticed most similar threads which point out an upcoming product are all about people offering their OPINIONS on said new product. If you want to gush about how fantastic the new TF Spitfire is and get lots of reassuring pats on the back by a bunch of like minded sport flyers who never offer any sort of discenting opinion then why not start your own thread? Although I would like to point out that those of us on the other side of the fence were happy to share the space with you and never once demanded that you stop posting your viewpoints.

I must be gettin' pissy in my old age as I used to just blow off these kinds of posts. However, I get a bit tired of being told what I can and can't say in a public forum. Some "deja vu" there as I think I've had this fight in this thread once before.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM
ronht

Enough wasting time and space on this nonsense - enjoy the last word Chad, with nearly 6300 posts your obviously used to making sure you have it.

I'm going out to fly
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you ever been to a scale contest like Top Gun or Scale Masters? There are many, many very scale planes that fly just like they should. Why is there even a discussion about THESE GUYS and US? *** is wrong with people? Its really stupid to try and be divisive when there's no need for it. I don't recall anyone saying. DONT BUY THE PLANE! Enjoy yourself as you see fit.. its pretty damn simple!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by ronht
This is the same story for the armchair critics in thread after thread in these forums to the point of ad nauseum. The dihedral's not right, the shape of the tail's not right, the canopy's not right the angle of the gear's not right, the color scheme's not right, they didn't choose to make the right model and so on and on it goes in thread after thread.

Not everything that's "scale" transfers into a good flying model aircraft that a majority of customers would be happy with and one which is worth the time for a company, in the business of trying to stay in business to spend their R&D resources to produce. While more dihedral would certainly satisfy the "scale critics" it would bring with it many of the nasty flight characteristics that would drive many customers away. You don't like it? Don't buy it.

This is a hobby where some of us fly, enjoy the hobby and support the companies producing products we can enjoy, while the rest sit around and criticize every little thing while looking for excuses why they don't fly. I get it, every club has them - what they don't get, is that the ONLY people they are impressing with their constant criticism are themselves.
Wow, did someone say your sister was ugly?

All things considered the Spit is great looking...but wouldn't it look even better if it had scale dihedral? Would it really make it fly worse?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radfordc
Wow, did someone say your sister was ugly?

All things considered the Spit is great looking...but wouldn't it look even better if it had scale dihedral? Would it really make it fly worse?
That is my point about the ARFs exactly. It does not take any more time or money for the Manufacturer to design it scale from the beginning on this particular aircraft. It is not like this version of the Spitfire has any oddities that would make it so much easier to do it non scale. The correct dihedral would make this a fine looking ARF with the pretty decent design work that TF uses and the good Hobbico Service(my experiences anyways).
As far as people getting bent out of shape about others' opinions, you can go screw yourselves. As Chad said, this was not a "build" thread(even if the complainers could even build vs. assemble). It was a new product on the market. Guess what, Car and Driver rips new cars on what they think is wrong every month. They have said things that I totally disagree with, but guess what, I did not write the editors and complain about what *****holes the writers were. I read their opinions and moved on. I have also read things in articles(good and bad), reviews and announcments, that I did not realize and it changed my mind about that product. The critical comments about the Spitfire would not directed at any one owner. As said many times, they were directed to nobody specific, however since the manufacturer is known to read these threads maybe they will at least pay attention.
I am not going to bow to anyone simply because they do not want to hear my opinion. This is a forum that is open to the public, and the only rules that we must abide by are that of the owner's.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

With the cockpit and pilot now fitted we did final CG balance today. One of the factory steel plate weights has been removed and the two 6volt radio batts are fwd of the fuel tank. Total weight is just over 21 LBs! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnKRQhXlMgE
Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 PM
DUCATIKID

Looking good Capt G! it's a pleasant change to have a post that isn't an argument
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Hellcat716

.Just finished up the Spit today. Using the DLE 55 rear exhaust engine with the electric retracts from Robart along with there scale wheels. A great SPORT SCALE SPITFIRE ARF.Went together very easy and am sure will fly great as all Top-Flite models do
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6287-1.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	1906559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6288-1.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	1906560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6289-1.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1906561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6290-1.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1906562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6293-1.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1906563  

Last edited by Hellcat716; 08-09-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 AM
ronht

Originally Posted by Capt G
With the cockpit and pilot now fitted we did final CG balance today. One of the factory steel plate weights has been removed and the two 6volt radio batts are fwd of the fuel tank. Total weight is just over 21 LBs! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnKRQhXlMgE
Looks great Capt G, that is just how my CG came out and it flies beautifully. Just be ready for the nose pitching down when the flaps are lowered. I set my Flight Modes to individual trim and programed them to the flap switch, so once trimmed I never have to mess with them again.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 AM
ronht

Originally Posted by Hellcat716
.Just finished up the Spit today. Using the DLE 55 rear exhaust engine with the electric retracts from Robart along with there scale wheels. A great SPORT SCALE SPITFIRE ARF.Went together very easy and am sure will fly great as all Top-Flite models do
Looks great, I really like the white stripe you put on the tail, did you do that with Monokote?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

ronht,

Well said!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Hellcat716

Yes it is white monocote.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Maiden flight today on the Spit. Plane flys great as do all my TF planes. Cut down the aileron throw slightly. CG was right on the money. Both flights resulted in dead stick landings though and the problem I identified as overheating (the OAT was 95 degrees and that didn't help). I opened up the front for better airflow and feel certain this will fix the problem. Pic shows the new air inlet hole.

Name:	IMG_20130816_121704_553.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	736.1 KB
ID:	1909196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6308-1.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1909197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6312-1.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	1909198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6299-1.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1909199   Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage_1376408576786.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1909200  
Old 08-18-2013, 03:47 PM
ronht

Had the Spit at Warbirds Over Wisconsin and flew both Friday and Saturday. As far as I could tell mine was the only one at the event and it drew a lot of attention.

Mixed it up with my buddy in his FW190 and the spit is considerably faster.

Had a blast - great flyer and a great event!

Name:	Fond du Lac.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	902.0 KB
ID:	1909943  
Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
ronht

Finally - a solution to the J-tec muffler coming lose - a 1/16th drill bit, some steel wire and a drill press = no more problems.

Name:	Safety wire.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	750.1 KB
ID:	1910365  
Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

ronht,

Is that the J-tec mufffler for the Mustang, P-40, or is it specific to the Spitfire?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
ronht

Lifer, it's the J-tec wrap around that's common to the DA-50 / DLE-55. I have another one on a DA50 in an Aeroworks Sport Cub that I didn't have as much problems with. The only difference is that I didn't have to shorten the pipes on that muffler.

Drilling the M5 bolts turned out to be pretty simple using a drill press, I should have done that sooner as it really locks the bolts in place an keeps them from coming lose at all.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Lifer, that muffler came out for the Aeroworks mustang. It use to be listed just for that but now you can get it from Tower or Jtec. If you call Jtec and specifically ask for the Aeroworks P-51 mustang muffler, you'll get that muffler. I used it in my ESM 50cc 109.

Rohnt, the bolt issue with that muffler unfortunately is common. I learned of it from a friend and had to do the same. Everyone I've seen has had the same resolve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.