Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ed's Ziroli B-25 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ed's Ziroli B-25 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
bigE
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ed's Ziroli B-25 Build

Stab is all framed up but Im going to hold off on sheeting it until the fins are done and then I'll do them all at once.
So one thing I've discovered is that the thing that takes the longest when building a sub assembly is figuring out where to start and which piece gets glued first. Once i figure that out it seems to go pretty fast.
After laying the plan out and getting the pieces organized I found the next little issue with the kit- there were no RH-1 or 2's. (rudder hinge) Plans call for aircraft ply so I'm guessing it wasn't included? I guess I could call National Balsa but I don't feel like waiting for a part so simple to cut out so I just cut it out per the plan.
Second picture shows how I chose to assemble the fin- trailing edge pinned to the plan with the ribs glued upright. not sure if this was the best way to do it, but it worked out beautifully for me.
Over the next couple days I'll work on the elevators and rudders, and by the weekend I should have my wing tube so I'll be ready to start the wing. Oh my god this plane is fun to build...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87643.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1848167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13075.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1848168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33721.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1848169  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
bigE

ORIGINAL: geoardsog5

Big Ed, I'm subscribed. I'm doing a 101'' B-25. It's framed up with the gear and engines installed. John R.
John,
Post some pictures! Which engines did you go with?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
bigE

ORIGINAL: Termites Dream

BigE,
thanks for the kind words. I thought a lot about the elevator servos. I considered Gold-n-rods with servos near the CG, but I read a lot about the plastic in them having a very different coefficient of expansion to balsa, so people had to retrim their elevators every time they went to the field and the temperature was different. The main build threads I have been using, by Jarnt and Sweeper over on RCSB, both put one elevator servo in the tail. I wanted 2 for redundancy. Unfortunately I couldnt find a mini servo that was strong enough for the job (per Ziroli recommendations). The extra 2.1 oz servo in the tail will cost me up to 3.2 oz extra in the nose. Tough call, but I decided it was worth it. Jarnt used Evolution 26 engines and his was very close to balancing with 3 servos in the tail. Sweeper used glow engines. Remember you save some tail weight by not having those bellcranks and goldnrods back there.

I dont know anyone who used the phenolic tubes, they just arent needed. I have installed my wings and removed them many times, it is not hard to get them in the slot.

If you havent already, check out these threads. Jarnt flew his in 2009, very nice work. Sweeper has been building his for 10 years, its nearly done and is museum quality work, but I dont think I would ever have his skill or patience. Flying Lindy used Ryobi 31cc engines, bellcranks for the rudders, goldnrods for elevators. I have summaries of Jarnt and Sweeper threads I can PM you if you want them, they help finding the page you want a lot faster.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...319&PN=1&TPN=1

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...137&PN=1&TPN=1

http://flyinglindy.homestead.com/b25construction.html

David
David-
You have me seriously thinking about the elevator servos. I believe Ziroli calls for a 90 oz/in but if you are using one on each half Im assuming you can go with something that puts out around 45? I need to look at the specs of those Hitec thin wing servos that some are using on the rudder- I wonder if two of those would work.

Also thought about my choice of engines a bit more today. Looking at the OS GT33- comes stock with a wrap around muffler and sounds pretty quiet compared to the DLE stock muffler. (at least it does on the video) My DLE 20 on the stock muffler is LOUD. Only thing is I don't know anyone that is using the OS gas engines. Guess I need to research to see if people that have them are having good luck.

Those electric retracts look real nice (saw a youtube video) but looks like they are 200 more than pneumatic.... Need to think about that. Almost 800 for just the retracts! wow!

I should have the wing tube in just a couple days. I guess I just assumed trying to slide the tube in without the outer sleeve would be a pain. I'll try it without.
Thanks again for the advice!
Ed
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Termites Dream
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,

the Ziroli website calls for two elevator servos of 90 oz/in each. http://www.ziroliplans.com/zirolipla..._frameset.html
I thought about using Hitec mighty mini metal gear servos to save weight, they werent quite 90 oz/in but maybe they would have been enough. I might switch out for those later if I am way out of balance.

The OS GT33 was not out when I bought. The included wraparound pitts is a big plus.

Whether you use a wing tube or not, I highly recommend the method of using plywood washers that are epoxied into place when the outer wing is in the right position.

Great progress there. Pretty soon your build will be more advanced than mine!

David
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just thought of another minor modification to the vertical fins. I added two 1/8" dowels through the fin sheeting into the horizontal stab mounting blocks. I did hear another Z B-25 where that joint failed. The fellow did get the plane down ok but the dowels added a bit of extra insurance.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 AM
fabfal

big E, hi. I've just 3 days ago ordered the plan, because I didn't know what kit buy. I have contacted National Balsa that provides a complete kit. After seeing your pics, now I'm convinced to order it.
Regarding the engine: I have a mad idea. I would like to install two radial evolution 35cc. The external diameter of the engine is 18,5 cm . I read in the Ziroli specs that the diameter of the cowl should be 8" ( 20 cm). Maybe I could fit it in. I have already installed a 7 cylinder 70 cc evo in a 1/3 scale Bucker Jungmeister and it's really fantastic !!! If you hear only one time the noise you fall immediately in love with it!!!What do you think about this matter?
I'll certainly follow this thread in the close future to see the work in progress. I have to finish my last model ( a tomcat f 14 1/9/ scale). Then I'll start with the B-25.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Termites Dream

ORIGINAL: fabfal

big E, hi. I've just 3 days ago ordered the plan, because I didn't know what kit buy. I have contacted National Balsa that provides a complete kit. After seeing your pics, now I'm convinced to order it.
Regarding the engine: I have a mad idea. I would like to install two radial evolution 35cc. The external diameter of the engine is 18,5 cm . I read in the Ziroli specs that the diameter of the cowl should be 8'' ( 20 cm). Maybe I could fit it in. I have already installed a 7 cylinder 70 cc evo in a 1/3 scale Bucker Jungmeister and it's really fantastic !!! If you hear only one time the noise you fall immediately in love with it!!!What do you think about this matter?
I'll certainly follow this thread in the close future to see the work in progress. I have to finish my last model ( a tomcat f 14 1/9/ scale). Then I'll start with the B-25.
Fabfal,

I just measured the cowl on mine. It is 185mm at around the point where I would expect the cylinders to be. Tight fit, hard to say if you could do it without cutting the cowl. Maybe you could buy the cowls and either take them to a store or buy an engine to see if it fits. My other question is power. It has 2.2 hp compared to 2.5 for the DLE20 and 4.1 for the DLE35. Might just be enough but not overpowered. It also swings a bigger prop, so you might need a 3 blade for ground clearance. You are right about the sound though!

Good luck, David
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
fabfal

Thanks David
I imagined something like this. It's a dream as you have understood. I wish I mount a 4 stroke engine. In your opinion would enough a 120 or better a 155? The power of 120 is 2,2 and the 155's one is 2,5.I know that gas engin 2 stroke are more powerfull and run at higher RPM. But in a plane like that I cannot accept a noise from 2 Stroke.
I'll receive the plan in a coule of week and then check if the radial engine can fit. Anyway let me know your opinion about the engine size.
Thanks
Fabrizio
Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Termites Dream

ORIGINAL: fabfal

Thanks David
I imagined something like this. It's a dream as you have understood. I wish I mount a 4 stroke engine. In your opinion would enough a 120 or better a 155? The power of 120 is 2,2 and the 155's one is 2,5.I know that gas engin 2 stroke are more powerfull and run at higher RPM. But in a plane like that I cannot accept a noise from 2 Stroke.
I'll receive the plan in a coule of week and then check if the radial engine can fit. Anyway let me know your opinion about the engine size.
Thanks
Fabrizio

Fabrizio,
the only one I know who has used glow engines is Sweeper who has an excellent thread over on RCSB (below). He used Saito 150s. His plane has not flown yet but he is very meticulous and I am sure he chose carefully. I have a top flite 88 inch B-25 with 4 strokes and I do like the sound.

I see you live near Milan and near the lakes, nice area! I have a friend in Bordighera, near SanRemo.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...137&PN=1&TPN=1

David
Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
fabfal

The forum of sweeper is simply incredible. You think to be mad but you discover there always someboby more mad than you. I've seen incredble particulars on threads.
I do not know if I'll arrive to similar levels of realism. I had never seen something like this.
Thank you. There always something to learn.

Yes I live close to the Alps in an amazing town Bergamo( with buildings of the 1000 ) and very close to Lario lake and Iseo lake, where I go ,on sunner time, to fly my idroplanes.
Thanks again.
Fabrizio
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
bigE

Spent the night cleaning up the fins- shaping the leading edge and stuff and installing the hinge blocks. And then at least an hour trying to decide how I'm going to get the groove built into the rudders and elevators. Finally decided to call it quits for the night and see if I could get some ideas by reading other threads, but still haven't really figured it out. Tomorrow..

Hey David-
I was looking through your build (for pointers and stuff.. HAHHAHAHAHA) and noticed it looks like your rudder and elevator ribs are all marked? Were they precut in your kit?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM
bigE

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

Just thought of another minor modification to the vertical fins. I added two 1/8'' dowels through the fin sheeting into the horizontal stab mounting blocks. I did hear another Z B-25 where that joint failed. The fellow did get the plane down ok but the dowels added a bit of extra insurance.
Steve- I was worried about that also. I was thinking of installing a couple balsa blocks between r-2 and 3, and once the fin was glued in place, drilling holes through those blocks and into the stab to add a couple dowels.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Termites Dream

ORIGINAL: bigE

Spent the night cleaning up the fins- shaping the leading edge and stuff and installing the hinge blocks. And then at least an hour trying to decide how I'm going to get the groove built into the rudders and elevators. Finally decided to call it quits for the night and see if I could get some ideas by reading other threads, but still haven't really figured it out. Tomorrow..

Hey David-
I was looking through your build (for pointers and stuff.. HAHHAHAHAHA) and noticed it looks like your rudder and elevator ribs are all marked? Were they precut in your kit?

Ed,
I bought a full kit from precision cut kits. The ribs were precut and they label most of the wood, which saves some time. I still found most of the wood had to be sanded to fit. Guess they err on the side of making it too big rather than too small.
David
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
bigE

I thought I could knock out the rudders in just a couple hours but I've never built a hinge like this so it took me a little while. Second one shouldn't take much time at all now that I know what I'm doing.
I started by pinning the fin over the plan with the hinge wire in place. (pic 1) Next I built basic structure making sure it was all straight and tight up against the wire. (pic 2) Next up was the leading edge- this is what took some time for me to figure out (again- never built one like this before..) What I wound up doing in order to make the perfect groove for the wire was to sandwich a piece of 1/8" stock between two thicker pieces with the 1/8 being offset to the exact thickness of the wire. (pic 3 and 4) I still have three more control surfaces to build, so if anyone knows a better way please let me know!
Last pic shows the assembly all together. So it took me a while, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Need to knock the second one out and then I'll post the elevator construction.
(This part is kind of boring! Cant wait to start the wing!)

Name:	Ay75099.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1849271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82679.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1849272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79894.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1849273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32907.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1849274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39482.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1849275  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
OldScaleGuy

Looks great Ed. As i recall i did basically the same thing. After painting the wire was slid in and a spot of epoxy was added to secure it from sliding out.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 PM
bigE

Gotta love a good old fashioned New England Blizzard! more time to build!

I finished off the second rudder (first pic) and got to work on the wing. so far not much done. I spent quite a while getting all the parts ready and studying the plans. I'm a little disappointed in the fact that when I start each section I discover a part not cut with the kit. But I guess its because Ziroli forgot to write on the plan if two of something is required. I'm going to keep a list of all the mistakes and email National Balsa. Maybe they can fix it for the next guy who buys a kit from them.

(second pic) For the spar, I cut out the 1/8" ply spar joiner and epoxied it in place. also had to trim the ends of each spar since its cut for a one piece wing. easy day.

(third pic) trial fitting the pieces together I will be using the sleeve for the wing tube so I enlarged the holes in W-6, 7, and 8. After reading other posts I see that everyone enlarges the holes and uses "donuts" cut to the dia of the tube to help align the wing. Do I need to do both center and outer wing panel holes or just the outer?

Hopefully by tonight I can post that I have framed up the center section.. back to work!

Name:	Ge94127.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	1849995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53034.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1849996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17185.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1849997  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Termites Dream

Gotta love a good old fashioned New England Blizzard! more time to build!

I finished off the second rudder (first pic) and got to work on the wing. so far not much done. I spent quite a while getting all the parts ready and studying the plans. I'm a little disappointed in the fact that when I start each section I discover a part not cut with the kit. But I guess its because Ziroli forgot to write on the plan if two of something is required. I'm going to keep a list of all the mistakes and email National Balsa. Maybe they can fix it for the next guy who buys a kit from them.

(second pic) For the spar, I cut out the 1/8'' ply spar joiner and epoxied it in place. also had to trim the ends of each spar since its cut for a one piece wing. easy day.

(third pic) trial fitting the pieces together I will be using the sleeve for the wing tube so I enlarged the holes in W-6, 7, and 8. After reading other posts I see that everyone enlarges the holes and uses ''donuts'' cut to the dia of the tube to help align the wing. Do I need to do both center and outer wing panel holes or just the outer?

Hopefully by tonight I can post that I have framed up the center section.. back to work!

Ed,
those rudders look great! You only have to do the plywood donuts on one end. I did mine on the center section but probably makes no difference.
David
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
bigE

ORIGINAL: Termites Dream

Ed,
those rudders look great! You only have to do the plywood donuts on one end. I did mine on the center section but probably makes no difference.
David
Thanks for the compliment! Made a couple mistakes but over all I'm happy with them. Using your thread quite a bit now for motivation!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
bigE

Wing center section is taking allot more time than I expected (Starting to become a trend...) because it was a bit of a pain getting each rib TE to the right height. It took a little sanding on each joint here and there to get it just right. Heres how I did it....
- set W-5 and 7 on the plan with the spar and then put the nacelle bottoms in place. I used a couple screws in each nacelle bottom to hold the assembly in place.
- next trick was to get W-6 and w6a set so that the trailing edges of 5, 6, and 7 were even
- I made a scribe at the rear of 5 and 7 for the angles and carefully tried to bend them, but they broke. So I was more careful on the other side. They broke too. used a piece of 3/8sq cut to the correct angle on each one to hold it in place for now. Curious to know how others did this...
- once all ribs were at the right height I glued the spars in. Im a little confused with the 1/8 x 1/4" rear spar- plans show it going from W-2 all the way to W-8, but my W-2 through 4 didn't have a notch for them. so I made notches ran it the entire length.
- last pic shows the jig i made up to get W-8 perfectly straight. Question for those that have built this- did you wait to glue in W-8 until you were ready to join the outer panels? I stared at it for a good hour and decided to save it for tomorrow. Just not sure if I should glue it or save it. I guess I cant sheet the bottom if its not in place. Thoughts?

Name:	Wu61289.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1850985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37781.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1850986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54284.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1850987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70701.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1850988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12479.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1850989  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Olsen

Hello

Nice build you have going here, good to see that others still want to built this nice plane, I have just been trough the same the last 7 months with the 118 inch version, I have had the 101 inch version and it is a great flier. I was so stupid to sell it off to a fellow modeler but on the other hand it then gave me the opportunity to built a new one and this time the big brother.
I did actually glue the w-8 in place and finished of the complete center section and then I adjusted the fit on the outer wing when I built that.

Good luck with your build here is a link to some photos of my build [link]https://picasaweb.google.com/111994526239439977373/ZiroliB25JMitchellPanchito#[/link] and a couple of small photos of the model almost completed I am only missing to put in the fuel tanks and to make the header pipes for the mufflers.

Name:	Qo39201.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1851089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29592.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1851090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14922.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1851091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12060.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1851092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63391.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1851093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86265.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1851094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93868.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1851095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts63573.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1851096  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw37430.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1851097  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 AM
fabfal

I'm going to build a 101 wingspan B25. Can I ask you what kind of material did you use for covering wings and fuse? I like the liverie you chose and would like to do the same.
Many compliments . It looks like the real one. It' really amazing.
Fabrizio
Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 AM
Termites Dream

Wing center section is taking allot more time than I expected (Starting to become a trend...) because it was a bit of a pain getting each rib TE to the right height. It took a little sanding on each joint here and there to get it just right. Heres how I did it....
- set W-5 and 7 on the plan with the spar and then put the nacelle bottoms in place. I used a couple screws in each nacelle bottom to hold the assembly in place.
- next trick was to get W-6 and w6a set so that the trailing edges of 5, 6, and 7 were even
- I made a scribe at the rear of 5 and 7 for the angles and carefully tried to bend them, but they broke. So I was more careful on the other side. They broke too. used a piece of 3/8sq cut to the correct angle on each one to hold it in place for now. Curious to know how others did this...
- once all ribs were at the right height I glued the spars in. Im a little confused with the 1/8 x 1/4'' rear spar- plans show it going from W-2 all the way to W-8, but my W-2 through 4 didn't have a notch for them. so I made notches ran it the entire length.
- last pic shows the jig i made up to get W-8 perfectly straight. Question for those that have built this- did you wait to glue in W-8 until you were ready to join the outer panels? I stared at it for a good hour and decided to save it for tomorrow. Just not sure if I should glue it or save it. I guess I cant sheet the bottom if its not in place. Thoughts?

Ed, wish mine looked as good as yours at this point I glued W8 and then adjusted the adjacent rib in the outer wing panel to match W8. You can do this when you glue in the plywood washers (donuts) so the outer wing panels have the right amount of droop.
The rear of 5 and 7 sucks. I had to break and readjust a couple of them later to make the right fit. The back part of the nacelle is not really scale anyway, as Sweeper pointed out, it is too oval rather than being more round in the full scale. But you wont notice it unless you are competing in top gun.
I am still waiting on Robart, they are holding me up!

David
Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Termites Dream

ORIGINAL: Olsen

Hello

Nice build you have going here, good to see that others still want to built this nice plane, I have just been trough the same the last 7 months with the 118 inch version, I have had the 101 inch version and it is a great flier. I was so stupid to sell it off to a fellow modeler but on the other hand it then gave me the opportunity to built a new one and this time the big brother.
I did actually glue the w-8 in place and finished of the complete center section and then I adjusted the fit on the outer wing when I built that.

Good luck with your build here is a link to some photos of my build [link]https://picasaweb.google.com/111994526239439977373/ZiroliB25JMitchellPanchito#[/link] and a couple of small photos of the model almost completed I am only missing to put in the fuel tanks and to make the header pipes for the mufflers.

Henrik,
thats a work of art! I was thinking about using aluminum tape on mine as well. What type are you using? I have a roll from McMaster-Carr to try as a test. I see you were able to put it on the rudders and elevators as well. Mine are fabric covered at this point. Impressed you were able to squeeze that 52cc twin into each cowl on canisters.
David
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 AM
smkrcflyer

Subscribed, my next builds will be a BT Spitfire and Ziroli PT-17 so I’m looking to learn all that I can.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
OldScaleGuy

Ed, i cannot remember what i did with the rear of 5 & 7, i did leave 8 for final set up with the outer panels before gluing. As a side note, i did build mine as a one piece wing. It worked out ok but a 3 piece wing will be much more convenient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.