Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Old 05-25-2018, 08:13 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Guys,
I usually get my batteries from Hangtime Hobbies, NoBS Batteries but I can not get in touch with him. I can get whatever length of leads, size, shape, etc. from the owner Steve. Have not heard from him by email. Anyone know if he is still in business, etc. Where do you guys get your batteries from???? Thanks. Chic
Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 AM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chic,
Batteries America, any size, any shape and some high capacity. Waiting for my 5 cell 6V 2,500 to show up

Garage was 4 at 5AM

Larry
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
Just asked my friend in NY, he says they are still in business but now out of FL
I just checked the website and it's still up

Larry
Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Sabre, he did not gove detail of when they will start offering it.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:25 PM
redtail

Originally Posted by lkahn4
Chic,
Batteries America, any size, any shape and some high capacity. Waiting for my 5 cell 6V 2,500 to show up

Garage was 4 at 5AM

Larry
Larry - Just sent them an email with my requirements. Waiting to hear back frm them. Thanks for the tip. Chic
Old 05-26-2018, 03:14 AM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Todd,

I have nothing. Not this year. But the plan is to get back onto the scene with a monster Brewster Buffalo (eventually).

Just waiting to get fully settled back here in Iowa... then re-restablish a building room/shop... then get started on the pig of all pigs! (well, the buffalo of all buffalos)

I'm planning to be up there for your event this July, minimally to say hello to old friends and check out the new models everyone has built while I was away

Best,

Noah
Old 05-26-2018, 05:10 AM
redtail

Noah - I saw a Brewster Buffalo fly at our field before the General (Air Force Officer and Taiwan Builder Combo) took it down to Top Gun. Kool landing gear. Also, I have one landing gear leg completed thanks to you. As you said, the 0.010 still remains flexible after gluing it together.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:22 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
You're SUCH a showoff LOL
Coming out really nice, can't wait to see it with some color.
Just went into the garage/workshop 85 degrees
Receiver battery showed up yesterday, need to format it when I get home from work today and work out the elevator problem, hoping to balance it next week when my friend has time to help.
Be safe
Larry
Old 05-26-2018, 03:19 PM
butlern

Chic!!!

Looks incredible!

I share Larry's sentiments... Cant wait to see it in full color! Keep plugging away!

Best,

Noah
Old 05-27-2018, 03:15 AM
redtail

It has been several days with no word from NoBS batteries nor from Batteries America. Maybe after the holiday. Both landing gear doors are completed. On to continuing to install the electronics. What's up BigStew60? Chic
Old 05-27-2018, 04:07 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Whats up buddy? I love how you did your gear doors. it came out much nicer than mine. I am still in New York for work but I get back Thursday. Hopefully I can still make my way down to Fredericksburg this weekend.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:07 PM
redtail

Hey Carl - Thanks for your comment on the doors. Have to thank Noah for the idea. I was going to layer fiberglass cloth over monokote to follow the shape of the airfoil. His idea of gluing two pieces of 0.010 G10 together and using the dark bolts to shape the gear doors worked out great. As you can see, I have the old style version of Sierra's landing gear for the Avenger.

Check the weather before you make the run up here Saturday. Forecasting scattered thunderstorms, 40% chance of rain, 84% humidity. Hummmm. Will make the trip myself Saturday. Wish the Avenger was ready to fly soooooo it will sit in the shop under less humidity. Ha Ha Ha. See ya Saturday - maybe. Chic
Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 PM
F86_SABRE

Chic, Any idea what the current turnaround on Sierra Avenger retracts are? Are these ready available or one has to queue up? BTW what is the difference between the old and new retracts?
Reuben
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 AM
redtail

Reuben - I received my landing gear from Charlie himself. He said I had nothing to consider or think about because the landing gear was fully operational and nothing was wrong with them. He said it was one of the initial gear received from Sierra. I included photos for you to see if you can see a difference in the gear with other photos of Avenger landing gear here on back pages of this thread. Now that Brett has said that Ziroli was taking over marketing the Avenger, Due to Ziroli being a huge source, I would bet that a request from Ziroli (talk to Karen at Ziroli) to Sierra for a landing gear set would get a much more immediate response then just you or I calling Sierra for a set. I can say that is true due to my going through Ziroli (Karen, she is a true professional) to purchase items for a future project.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:24 AM
redtail

The wooden blocks glued to the struts are to attach the gear doors. Chic
Old 05-28-2018, 06:34 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
what NEW project?
Reuben, you may want to call Sierra direct and see if he has a set in stock, we ordered mains and tail wheel and he had them in stock but that was 5 years ago.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:21 AM
redtail

Larry, boy are you good - First you catch the print of the Mouse Ears on my wall. Then you catch that "New Project" statement. Certainly won't start the "New Project" until the Avenger flies. Just for you Larry - Sea Vixen. Go to Goggle and type in Sea Vixen. Scroll down to Test Pilot's View of the Dehavilland Sea Vixen. Click on that and you will understand the love for this RAF airframe. You know I love the RAF aircraft. Ha, Ha, Rascal. You are My Brother for sure. Smile Good call for Rueben, calling Sierra to see if they may have a set available before calling or emailing Ziroli. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 05-28-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
You're not seriously considering this?
You will put a huge dent in Shirleys' ability to keep the retail industry solvent if you go forward with the build
I only hope that it's before both of our 80th Birthdays

http://www.navywings.org.uk/wp-conte...ads/2016/05/se...
https://goo.gl/images/TeVbgQ

Larry
Old 05-28-2018, 01:33 PM
F86_SABRE

Thanks for the info guys. I might have to order them if I choose to take the dip!
Thanks again.
Reuben
Old 05-28-2018, 01:40 PM
redtail

Larry, first I went up to the local 7/11 convenience store and asked for an employment application. I go there every morning so the owner and guys all know me well. They hired me on the spot - I screamed O'OOOOO no, not me, this is for my wife so she will make up for a possible loss of disposable income - more then I NOW give her monthly. Ha, Ha. You know where this is going. I brought the application home and gave it to her. She screamed - ME WORK - she started throwing stuff at me. Luckily we were eating off of paper plates and plastic utensils. When she finished tossing what was near at hand, I quickly showed her the new project. She said, "O, I like that". I told her "Larry" said if Chic starts building the Sea Vixen, you won't have enough money to keep TJMax, Ross, Marshalls, and Macy's in business. She laughed and said, "Tell Larry that just for you, I will only go shopping 4 out of 7 days, that ought to help you". I lower my head and quietly walked away. Chic
Old 05-28-2018, 01:44 PM
redtail

Larry - your first link does not work, but the second link DOES work. She is pretty. Love those lines and the twin booms. By the way, after looking at the photos of the Avenger's landing gear, I just wanted to say I do change the drywall building board each time I start a new build. Nasty looking. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 05-28-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:39 PM
lkahn4

Chic,
Tell Shirley YOU are one LUCKY guy to have her, I told my wife I was ordering more rivets and her reply was "More stuff!!!!!!!!
And thank her for only dropping the retail economy up in the 70% range, and just think of the extra $$$ you'll have by not using gas on those 3 days
Love the lines, I figure you'll need $3,000.00 plus for the turbine, it's only $$$$ LOL
Going to cut the g10 for the Trojan wing fairing tomorrow early AM before the temp hits 90 degrees, tried this afternoon but way too hot

Larry
Old 05-29-2018, 05:14 AM
redtail

Well Guys - Here Goes. I just came in from an early shift in the shop and Shirley asked me to sit down with her to have a talk. She said the Bible said the truth will set you free. So she said, "You are not going to be able to finish the Avenger for the 2018 AMA Nats. I need you to slow down, get more rest, eat better, and bring control back into your life". She said, the Avenger is looking so great, don't rush the building of it now, and lose what has become great over the years. With that said, we both shed a few tears.

The Avenger will fly this summer for sure, but there will have to be another scale contest this summer to initiate the competitive spirit of the Avenger. With that, I am heading back to the shop with a different attitude thanks to my wife. Muncie Hampton Inn reservations cancelled.

Working on reinstalling the Bomb Bay Doors today. Photos to follow. Chic
Old 05-29-2018, 06:18 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
Smart Lady, must be one of the things I like about her.
Just keep in mind that this particular build is more of a marathon than a sprint and with all the details you have put into it makes more of an Iron Man competition than a marathon.
Just plug along at a normal pace and realize there are more competitions to come... this is supposed to be a semi-relaxing hobby not a stress inducer. I have many friends back east who live and die with each plane (read ARF) and the chance to fly.
I on the other hand consider it a break from the normal everyday BS and try not to let it stress me out too much, though there are times that trains seems so much easier
It will get done and it will look awesome, so take a deep breath and take a ride in the vette, the plane will still be there when you get back.

Take care brother
Larry
Old 05-29-2018, 07:14 AM
redtail

Appreciate "Ya" Greatly My Brother. You speak the "Truth" for sure. Chic

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.