Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT Single with S-bus Build

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT Single with S-bus Build

Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Skymaster Mig-29 OVT Single with S-bus Build

I was going to wait to start this until I was a little farther along, but reading Justflying1's thread, I wanted to get started so we can potentially learn from each other. I am going to jump around quite a bit, I am half way done with the build. Waiting for the P180 RX slowed me down. I'm finishing a Top Flite FW 190 right now, then I will finish the Mig. I hope to have it ready this Spring.

I want to show things that I think will help the next guy with things, the manual has a lot of photos, but not a great deal of explanations. Hopefully people can learn from my mistakes/observations. To the experienced builders, please feel free to chime in and give me advice! I'd say I am an intermediate jet builder.

This is my second mig, the first one was damaged in shipping, this one came unscathed. packaging was much better on the second one.

Here is a list of whats going to be inside:
Skymaster pro build with all door hinges installed.
Skymaster gear converted by down and locked
Jetcat P180Rx with vectored thrust-custom pipe from Tam
All futaba S-bus servos (except for a lone JR digital for the nose gear steering)
2 fromeco 2600 A123 packs, one wired to rx, the other at the rear split into three going into indiviudal Sbus hubs.

Here we go.....
When installing the cockpit, I made a jig to hold the fuse at the right distance. It flexes and expands so much without the canopy on that if you had glued in the forward part of the cockpit, your canopy wouldn't be the same width as the expanded fuse and wouldn't fit.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27894.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1839071  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM
DrScoles

Default RE: Skymaster Mig-29 OVT Single with S-bus Build

The bolts for the elevator linkage are very difficult to tighten when the elevator linkage is put together. You have to be a gymnast to get in there to tighten them. The bolts on the left are the ones that come with the kit, I swapped them out to the black cap head screws just so I could engage the hex easier.

I used all metal linkages for the vectored thrust and elevator. They are the only linkages that are near the pipe. The servo arm for the elevator rubbed on the pipe, so I had to make it as short as possible. Later on in the build, I gave up on the supplied pipe. I am pretty sure they sent me the non-vectored thrust pipe. I beat the hell out of it trying to make it fit, then gave up and had Tam make one. The original was poor quality and literally started losing welds and fell apart.

Name:	Yw68714.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1839074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72616.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1839075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79491.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1839076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35752.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1839077  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
DrScoles

My first kit had some cracks on the fuse where the glass was too thin. I wanted to reinforce the places where it was flimsy. I talked to Dantley and he gave me a few more tips on where to reinforce things. Carbon mesh wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. Carbon tape did the trick. The bottom of the engine nacelles flex quite a bit between the formers, if you sat the plane on a stand, it could crack the fuse if you aren't close to a former. The two rear hatches dimpled in quite a bit with light pressure. The other area was in the wheel wells. The glass on top was very flexible. One wrong grab and you could put your fingers through it.

Name:	Qo39743.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1839094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26329.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1839095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81185.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1839096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq43880.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1839097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17604.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1839098  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Aussie Bart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Doc

When youget to it, you should consider the Robbe/Futaba S Bus solution, it has to be one of the simplest and robust systems on the market.

Name:	Bz78186.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1839139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58108.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1839140  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

my favourite model!...will watching this one ,,but all this thirsty servos thru one cable?[] why sbus?
and how your valves or nose steering will work?

this is what i use with sbus 3ch receivers one my jets http://powerbox-systems.com/e/powerb..._srs/start.php

good luck with your build!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 AM
DrScoles

I looked at the Robbe units very closely. Bart, I think I asked you a bunch of questions last year. Thanks! Part of the beauty of sbus is less complexity. My bobcat has 8 servos on one pack, no problems. The big plane 3D crowd (who uses much more juice than we do) is running 10-12 servos on one pack, that I wouldn't do. This plane has 4 power sources going to individual hubs. So one 6v regulated power source for each 3-4 servos.

The robbe one I looked at was slick, but I have 4 additional servos for the OVT, and I would still have to run another set of lines to the back for it.

I did a ton of homework, talked to futaba, I'm comfortable with this set up. I have always been puzzled why the jet crowd goes crazy with powerboxes and the like when we aren't drawing anywhere near as much power as some of the other disciplines.

This regulator goes to three separate hubs in the back, and there is one up front dedicated to the rx, steering servo(which gets shut off once the gear is up) and two electronic valves.

Name:	Om32489.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1839206  
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 AM
DrScoles

Here's a vid of the OVT. I do not have it mixed to ailerons here. Still up in the air if I am going to do that. Any suggestions?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQbzUE0_NM[/youtube]

Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM
DrScoles

Here is a vid of the electric mains from down and locked. This is at 7.4 volts, wish they were a bit faster. I also have their sequencer for the gear doors. The nose gear takes a long time to open and close, couldn't find any other sequencer with a long enough delay.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FpF7n9qg3Q[/youtube]
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
DrScoles

This jet allows for a very clean install. Nice channels on the outside edge of the fuse to hide wires. Add sbus, not many wires. Excluding turbine, there are four wires from the front to back of the plane. Two retract wires, the sbus lead, and one power wire. If I find that CG wise its better to have a pack in the rear, I will move it.

Name:	Xv64890.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1839250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64274.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1839251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20849.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1839252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67851.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1839253  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
DrScoles

I have added three platforms to hold electronics. Skymaster gives you one in the front of the nose, it could end up empty dependning on cg location. Once I get the pipe from Tam, I will install the turbine, put it on the balancer, and find out exactly where the four battery packs will go. I may have enough room on the middle board next to the air valves and RX. I put a small cover over the rear retract mount for the turbine ESC. So much room in this jet compared to the last two I built!

The fake carbon tray will have all the caring and feeding stuff. I should only have to remove the canopy when starting the jet. Part of my favorite part about these installs is figuring out where everything is going to go. There must be some kind of psychological disorder tied to this.

I love these forstner bits! Can't see how i have lived without them...

Name:	Fd91278.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1839272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96271.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1839273  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM
DrScoles

I have added three platforms to hold electronics. Skymaster gives you one in the front of the nose, it could end up empty dependning on cg location. Once I get the pipe from Tam, I will install the turbine, put it on the balancer, and find out exactly where the four battery packs will go. I may have enough room on the middle board next to the air valves and RX. I put a small cover over the rear retract mount for the turbine ESC. So much room in this jet compared to the last two I built!

The fake carbon tray will have all the caring and feeding stuff. I should only have to remove the canopy when starting the jet. Part of my favorite part about these installs is figuring out where everything is going to go. There must be some kind of psychological disorder tied to this.

I love these forstner bits! Can't see how i have lived without them...

Name:	Fd91278.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1839274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96271.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1839275  
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM
DrScoles

Putting these nozzles together was like trying to teach a monkey how to F a football... And I work with small tools in tight places all day. The last part of the pipe fits into the metal ring ...kind of. I had to grind the hell out of the ring to make them fit. Hopefully the ones Tam made for me are a few tenths narrower. The last former in the fuse had to be cut to allow the rods to pass, same with the former in the nozzle part that attaches to the fuse. I haven't attached the final nozzles that go over the actual movable part. Tam mentioned that I need to use BVM heat shield on the inside or I will be ordering his fancy metal nozzles...

Name:	Xu62433.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1839280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46310.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1839281   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27379.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1839282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25721.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1839283  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
DrScoles

Got home early from work right as my 2yr old was going down for a nap, straight to the shop! Almost finished with this tray. Flush mounting the GSU proved to be really tough. I ended up having it sit up about 1cm. The three switches are for the two A123 flight packs and one for the 1100mah lipo pack for the gear.

Name:	Ig13399.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1839314  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking magnificent. Excellent job.
One thing I noticed DrScoles is your Festo Ball valve on that tray. I noticed with my Mig canopy once this goes on there is not much room to the back end where theFesto valve is.
If you haven't done it already I would check to make sure the canopy fits on with that Festo ball valve where it is.
Keep the picks, and information coming this is great.
Ivan
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 AM
DrScoles

Thanks Ivan. Yeah, tight fit with the canopy frame. I will just need to cut a slot the width of the tubing-shouldn't weaken too much, the tray adds rigidity back there. The other thing is that the fuel tank comes out about 1.5cm past the fuse lip so my last two fuel components had to be where they are. Cutting that carbon tray to fit was a pain-lots of sanding and trial fitting. It is not a rectangle. about 3-4mm wider at the front than the back. And then I had to make sure the canopy would seat. I originally wanted tubing from the ball valve to go into the tray on both sides, but then decided to put the GSU on the board, made things much tighter. It all worked out though. I really wanted to only have to remove one hatch to start/shut down the plane, so moving fuel stuff to the turbine bay was out.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 AM
DrScoles

One of my tanks was a very snug fit, the other flopped around a bit. There are ply wood pieces to tighten them down, but one of them in the fuse was already broken, so I wanted a different way to mount. I just used some blocks and a few screws. I think I will have fun at the field asking people if they think the screws going into the fuel tank will be a problem... I used a bit of shoo goo at the formers as well. I love this 5 minute hysol like epoxy for quick jobs, you can hold the part and it sets, instead of worrying about clamping .

Name:	Jh14579.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1839476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29207.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1839477  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
reznor
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

One of my tanks was a very snug fit, the other flopped around a bit. There are ply wood pieces to tighten them down, but one of them in the fuse was already broken, so I wanted a different way to mount. I just used some blocks and a few screws. I think I will have fun at the field asking people if they think the screws going into the fuel tank will be a problem... I used a bit of shoo goo at the formers as well. I love this 5 minute hysol like epoxy for quick jobs, you can hold the part and it sets, instead of worrying about clamping .

With the screws going into the tank like that, it should hold up quite well to rigorous 3D maneuvers. Do they protrude from the fuse side as well? Could be utilized for tie-downs or something equally useful.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM
DrScoles

Looks like my build thread got RCUscrewed. Its only a few months old. Is it solely file size thats causing the pics to be deleted? You'd think their software would automatically resize? No reason to continue if pics won't stick around..[]
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM
binsonc
My Feedback: (6)

we need pictures rcu please....
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
wop flyer

Hi DrScoles, i have had my Reatracts done by Down & Locked. The speed of the Reatracts is the same as yours, i belive mine were in at the same time as yours. I am looking forward to see how you at attach the gear doors to the new electric cylinders, please more pictures.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
DrScoles

ORIGINAL: wop flyer

Hi DrScoles, i have had my Reatracts done by Down & Locked. The speed of the Reatracts is the same as yours, i belive mine were in at the same time as yours. I am looking forward to see how you at attach the gear doors to the new electric cylinders, please more pictures.

Hi, I have one side done. Another jet snuck in in front of the mig, its on the rack right now. I will be back on the mig soon. I may already have pics of how I did the doors, I will look.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
wop flyer

Great DrScoles, Please keep in tuch your thread has been a Great help so far. looking forward to seeing thoughs Photos.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
DrScoles

my pics are magically back up! Cool.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good Mike! cant wait to see it go!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.