Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!

Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!

http://www.multigp.com/

They just surpassed 11,000 members. I can't think of any other SIG that even comes close to this. I checked IRCHA, IMAC, even the JPO...nobody looks to be even close.

I don't recall when MultiGP was given SIG status, but I don't think it was that long ago. The numbers certainly seem to correspond with those discussed by DVP Tougas in his campaign statement, and will probably only grow larger as time goes on.

For a grassroots organization to come this far so quickly, and get organized and do what they have done so far is commendable, regardless of whether one is into this kind of flying.

Congrats to them for their achievement.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:59 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

try the free flight sig.
if the rest haven't all died off yet.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
try the free flight sig.
if the rest haven't all died off yet.
Would it surprise you to know that they don't note what their membership is, in fact none of the SIGs do that I could tell.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:05 PM
mongo

not really
Old 10-25-2016, 07:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

not really
I would guess FF is up there, it's still pretty popular around here. IMAC too, although that has died down (at least event wise) significantly around here.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:15 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last I heard IMAC was something around 800 or so members. NSRCA is about the same, less than 1,000. LSF (soaring) is maybe 1,500 with not that many active. 11,000 is more than what IMAA had in their hey-day if I recall correctly.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:51 AM
rcmiket

Something I found interesting, one of the forums I actually pay to use (RC Scale Builder) as of this morning has 15,741 paying subscribers out of those only 3,871 have actually posted on the site. That leaves 11.960 that subscribe because they have a interest in scale building. Wonder just how many of the MGP 11,000 members actually actively participate in FPV racing?

Mike
Old 10-26-2016, 05:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Something I found interesting, one of the forums I actually pay to use (RC Scale Builder) as of this morning has 15,741 paying subscribers out of those only 3,871 have actually posted on the site. That leaves 11.960 that subscribe because they have a interest in scale building. Wonder just how many of the MGP 11,000 members actually actively participate in FPV racing?

Mike
36, but only 3 actually race.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:24 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think MR/Drone racing has plateaued yet, but it will reach a peak, drop a lot and then probably stabalize. It will be just like RC car/truck racing where it will be mostly diehards at the local level for weekly fun, and the great ones will be traveling the large regional events to get to a world championship; supposedly all with Federal regulations and guidelines.

Last edited by GSXR1000; 10-26-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Last I heard IMAC was something around 800 or so members. NSRCA is about the same, less than 1,000. LSF (soaring) is maybe 1,500 with not that many active. 11,000 is more than what IMAA had in their hey-day if I recall correctly.
Hi Silent ,

On the LSF's info page they mention something about 8000 members , If you say there are 1500 , does that mean the 8000 figure is how many have came & gone since the LSF's inception and that there are only 1500 today ?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:30 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Silent ,

On the LSF's info page they mention something about 8000 members , If you say there are 1500 , does that mean the 8000 figure is how many have came & gone since the LSF's inception and that there are only 1500 today ?
What's really funny is any organization can claim any membership numbers they want and the only ones who care are those who wish to use those unconfirmed numbers to further a agenda.
Try getting actual numbers from the AMA..
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:22 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

What's really funny is any organization can claim any membership numbers they want and the only ones who care are those who wish to use those unconfirmed numbers to further a agenda.
Mike
Hi Mike , Well to me when I looked it sure didn't seem as though any of the sigs were overstating their numbers , that's for sure . To be honest , the ones who did mention membership numbers , the numbers looked kinda underwhelming to me . I guess I had just always thought things like the sailplanes and rc stunt had tons of folks in the sigs , but then again look at me with all my years in the AMA I've never joined a sig myself . I think that may be because I never went "all out" for any one subset of the hobby enough to join a subclub (club within a club) catering exclusively to any one subset . Is there an "old fart putting around in the skies" sig cause that would likely be mine ?
Old 10-26-2016, 01:53 PM
rcmiket

Hi Mike , Well to me when I looked it sure didn't seem as though any of the sigs were overstating their numbers , that's for sure . To be honest , the ones who did mention membership numbers , the numbers looked kinda underwhelming to me . I guess I had just always thought things like the sailplanes and rc stunt had tons of folks in the sigs , but then again look at me with all my years in the AMA I've never joined a sig myself . I think that may be because I never went "all out" for any one subset of the hobby enough to join a subclub (club within a club) catering exclusively to any one subset . Is there an "old fart putting around in the skies" sig cause that would likely be mine ?
It's all good I just find that the 11,000 number that being touted as proof that drone racing is #1 is ridiculous but considering the source I'm not surprised. Numbers are great even if unverifiable if they fit whatever point someones trying to make. The numbers I provided from RC Scalebuilder were interesting to me due to the total number of site users vs the participating number of users on the site. Since that site requires $20 a year for full access I'm inclined to believe them.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-26-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Silent-AV8R

Hi Silent ,

Pretty much from what I know. Anyone who ever sent in a voucher (the way you become a member) is counted. Since there is no annual membership renewal, etc. that is likely a cumulative number.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Silent-AV8R

WRT RCScalebuilder here is what their site says:

As of October 1st:
Number of members: 15,741
Number of member with posts: 3,781
Number of members without posts: 11,960
Percentage of members have never posted on RCSB: %75.98

Now here's the question. How many of those people are in the US??
Old 10-26-2016, 03:16 PM
rcmiket

WRT RCScalebuilder here is what their site says:

Now here's the question. How many of those people are in the US??[/B][/I]

What difference would that make? Anyone anywhere can post as a member of the site. Last time I checked they have internet outside the US. What's to say that 76% of muliti GP members belong but don't race either?
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-26-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
To further an agenda....goodness that is.. ironic. The lengths gone through to perpetuate the denial/truther thing about MR FPV is really amazing, and it seems to be a solitary effort. The minimizing and marginalizing and explaining away anything put out there is great reading, for sure. Now the numbers are just probably made up because anyone can just make up number. And of course, it ends with some type of deficiency at the AMA. Jeepers.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:16 PM
mongo

from just paging through the member pilots pic pages, of those that even have a national designator on their pic, maybe 1/2 are the US flag, the rest a mixed lot of flags i have seen and some i have not. probably only 1/2 or so of them have any national designation noted.

as an aside, they be a rough looking lot, for the most part.

forgot to add, there are 10,075 pix of individual member pilots on that site.

Last edited by mongo; 10-26-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

from just paging through the member pilots pic pages, of those that even have a national designator on their pic, maybe 1/2 are the US flag, the rest a mixed lot of flags i have seen and some i have not. probably only 1/2 or so of them have any national designation noted.

as an aside, they be a rough looking lot, for the most part.

forgot to add, there are 10,075 pix of individual member pilots on that site.
Not exactly subtle. Those "rough looking lot, for the most part"....maybe only half of which I guess "have a flag that designates them as being from the US". I guess if you don't know what flag they fly...well. Unbelievably irrelevant and xenophobic in nature.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:41 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Would it surprise you to know that they don't note what their membership is, in fact none of the SIGs do that I could tell.
So how can you claim that multi GP is the largest?
Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

LoL !!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM
mongo

my point was directed to how many of the members of that group might be AMA.
some one mentioned that their membership might be loaded with non US folks, as they are a global org. and it does appear that that is the case.
just a WAG, but i guess less than half of multi gp is US folks that might also be AMA members.
did not see a requirement to be a part of any national org, such as AMA, in any of the pages i looked through.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Silent-AV8R

What difference would that make? Anyone anywhere can post as a member of the site. Last time I checked they have internet outside the US. What's to say that 76% of muliti GP members belong but don't race either?
Mike
Because we are talking about AMA SIGS, which are all US based. How many people participate in a website with global reach is irrelevant to that discussion.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

my point was directed to how many of the members of that group might be AMA.
some one mentioned that their membership might be loaded with non US folks, as they are a global org. and it does appear that that is the case.
just a WAG, but i guess less than half of multi gp is US folks that might also be AMA members.
did not see a requirement to be a part of any national org, such as AMA, in any of the pages i looked through.
Your original point was obvious.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:41 AM
rcmiket

Because we are talking about AMA SIGS, which are all US based. How many people participate in a website with global reach is irrelevant to that discussion.
http://wwwhttp://www.nasascale.org/p...ascale.org/p2/

NASA is a AMA SIG and RC Scalebuilder is a scale building site. It's totally relevant. My point was that the total participants on the site was a REALLY small percentage of the overall members of the site. Multi GO is international also and boast 11,000 members wonder just how many are here in the US. Wonder just how many actually race.

Here's their global map.

http://www.multigp.com/multigp/chapter/map

"MultiGP is a global phenomenon with over 300 chapters internationally including locations such as Australia, Asia, South Africa and Europe. There isn’t any another drone racing organization with the amount of registered pilots found within our community."

So if you want to play the "AMA SIGS, which are all US based" game than Multi GP cannot be the "fastest growing SIG in the AMA since the membership is global.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-27-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.