Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kingtech Gen 3 Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kingtech Gen 3 Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Kingtech Gen 3 Question

Gents,

One test ive always run on a new plane is to take fuel pump output and run it back into my fuel jug and then run the pump at max voltage until the tanks are empty a few times. It helps me to identify fuel system issues without wrestling g with a motor at full power.

I just switched to KT and can't figure out how to do that in their menu. I can activate the pump at low voltage but can't figure out how to up it. A little help please?

thanks
Dave
Old 10-27-2016, 10:24 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ozief16
Gents,

One test ive always run on a new plane is to take fuel pump output and run it back into my fuel jug and then run the pump at max voltage until the tanks are empty a few times. It helps me to identify fuel system issues without wrestling g with a motor at full power.

I just switched to KT and can't figure out how to do that in their menu. I can activate the pump at low voltage but can't figure out how to up it. A little help please?

thanks
Dave

Hello Dave

I do the same on all my installs and this is a very good practice. If this is the Xicoy ECU I can help you. If its the new ECU I have no clue and you should give Barry a call. You said gen3 so I assume this is the new ECU. Some Gen 3 K210s still have the xicoy ECU so that's why I ask.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:52 AM
ozief16

It's the new ECU which appears to be awesome.

Thanks for trying!

Dave
Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Scott Todd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My K-45 showed up! Great shipping. Ordered on Tuesday, arrived today. I should have it flying next week. Look on the Turbinator 44 build thread for updates.

The anodized aluminum ECU and GSU are really nice. It shipped with the battery and FOD screen I ordered in the box. Nice!

I look forward to the answer on running the pump. If you call him, please ask Barry to answer here too.

Another Question: The FOD screen just barely fits onto the end of the starter motor housing. Is it OK to use longer cover screws and washers to hold it in place?

Scott
Old 10-27-2016, 02:49 PM
RCRice
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the new Kingtech ECU/GSU the first screen is called the Dash Board. Touch anywhere on the Dash Board to get the Home Screen. On the Home Screen touch the Test Icon.
Press <4> next until you get (at the top) page 6 of 9, TestPump. Press <1> multiple times to increase pump speed. Press <2> to stop. Press X top right to return to Home Screen.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:59 PM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Hello Dave

I do the same on all my installs and this is a very good practice. If this is the Xicoy ECU I can help you. If its the new ECU I have no clue and you should give Barry a call. You said gen3 so I assume this is the new ECU. Some Gen 3 K210s still have the xicoy ECU so that's why I ask.
Could you please explain how to do this with the xicoy ecu. Is running the test/prime pump from the test menu all that's required to run it at max voltage?

Thanks,
David
Old 10-27-2016, 09:24 PM
RCRice

Yes that should do it. You can also run the pump by plugging it directly into the ecu battery. I've sometimes needed to do this to get a "stuck" pump running again. I would not do this for a prolonged run.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:33 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are these G3 engines different from the G2s listed on the Kingtech USA web site?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:57 PM
RCRice

I'm not aware of a G3 engine. A little confusion on the terminology. Series 2 turbines have new pumps, KingTech ECUs and GSUs. K-140G2 and K-160G2 are redesigned turbines that have the new smaller footprint than the original K-140 and K-160.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by dubd
How are these G3 engines different from the G2s listed on the Kingtech USA web site?
The G3 is only the later SN K210s. It is not a different series of engines.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
The G3 is only the later SN K210s. It is not a different series of engines.
Ok, so what's the difference in the later 210s and at what serial # does it start?
Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 PM
gunradd

Originally Posted by causeitflies
Ok, so what's the difference in the later 210s and at what serial # does it start?
Not sure what the difference is. All the engines evolve and get upgraded over time. The good part is when you send an engine in for service it gets the upgrades.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:51 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Chris. Does the upgrade include the new ECU or just engine parts?
Old 10-29-2016, 06:31 AM
ozief16

Guys,
ive tried bumping #1 multiple times while the pump is running in the test pump mode to no avail. If I do the prime function and bump it multiple times it works as stated above.

Dantley, my understanding of the G3 differences, which is very limited, is the auto relight feature. I was test running the engine yesterday and powered up to taxi (after I had been taxiing a while) and it started hesitating badly. Imagine my surprise when I walked up to it and realized it was running out of fuel and continually relighting!

I have this engine in a a PNP F-16. It fits fine and looks great. I used one of the two smoke tanks for fuel and left the other one smoke. I will let you know what I find for flight times, but I'm anticipating 7 min at reasonable throttle settings

Dave
Old 10-29-2016, 06:52 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, are you using 210 in the F16 pnp? I have a Tbirds F16 pnp on the way and I'm debating on whether to use a 210 or 160.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM
gunradd

Originally Posted by dubd
Dave, are you using 210 in the F16 pnp? I have a Tbirds F16 pnp on the way and I'm debating on whether to use a 210 or 160.
160 bro with out ordnance. It would be easy to over speed it without the drag with a K210. You can even overspeed it with all the ordnance on it with a K210. ITs a super light plane and does not need much push.