Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

Best kerosene substitute for low odor fuel mix

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Best kerosene substitute for low odor fuel mix

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 06:03 PM
doclov
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best kerosene substitute for low odor fuel mix

Just getting back into diesels after a 20 year absence. What kerosene substitute would you guys recommend for a lower odor/cleaner exhaust. Years ago I tried an unscented lamp oil and my PAW .49 would not start on that mix.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by doclov; 10-24-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Diesel Dan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternet kereo recipe

I use a 60%30%10% mix of:
marvel's mystery oil
2 cycle oil(havoline)
Ether
Keep in mind that my diesels down't have adjustable tommy bars. I regulate compression through fuel % from the carburetor
DieselDan
Old 11-29-2020, 09:36 AM
Stuntguy13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The quickest simple fuel here in the US is John Deer starting fluid Part # RE 556468 (as ether, it is 80%), mixed with 30 SAE mineral oil and the lamp oil. For the PAW a good starting place will be 40% JD, 25% 30 SAE mineral oil (could do 20% with 5% castor added), 35% unscented kero. You could also add 2% Amsoil Cetane improver, take the kero down to 33%. Other option if you can't get John Deer is Johnsen Premium Starter Fluid from NAPA Auto, mixed with just 30 SAE mineral oil at 25% and 2% Amsoil Cetane improve. The Johnsen SF has about 50% ether and the balance is heptane (similar to kero) so no need for kero.

Best, DennisT
Old 12-05-2020, 06:41 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

These exotic diesel fuels are pretty far out in left field. Model diesel fuel smells. Commercial diesel fuel blends are blended from traditional “recipes” and components because that is what works the best and is the best for the engines. Conversions or purpose built, fixed compression or variable... Jet A or clean Kerosene is the best option. Diethyl Ether is the only ether component suitable. Castor oil is without question the best oil. Amyl nitrate I believe is the best ignition improver, but Amsoil Cetane Boost works just fine and is easier to get ahold of.

Nothing magical here. Just years of experience. 25% castor, 30% ether, 2% Amsoil Cetane Boost, balance Jet A is what I’ve used for a long time. It’s proven to work better than Davis Diesel fuel in variable compression engines. Fixed compression engines will need a different oil and ether ratio.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I 've mentioned a few times that John Deere SF lists 7(or 8) ounces of diethyl ether. ( I don't recall if it lists a metric equivalent.) If it is avoirdupois ounces, that measures weight, not volume. The specific gravity of diethyl ether is about 0.8 - it has a volume of weight divided by that S.G. - if 8 "ounces," volume is 10 fluid ounces (another archaic imperial standard term.) If 7 "ounces" it is 8.75 fluid ounces.

Almost all of us blend fuel by volume. and we still use the terms quart and gallon. A quart is 32 fluid ounces. If the JD lists 8 "ounces" (weight) that is 10 fluid ounces of volume, nearly the 1/3 of a quart for the basic diesel 1:1:1 blend!

Also, in the USA, #2 auto diesel fuel performs well, is quite clean burning, and doesn't smell like the bilge of a disreputable small 3d World coastal freighter.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:54 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou Crane
I 've mentioned a few times that John Deere SF lists 7(or 8) ounces of diethyl ether. ( I don't recall if it lists a metric equivalent.) If it is avoirdupois ounces, that measures weight, not volume. The specific gravity of diethyl ether is about 0.8 - it has a volume of weight divided by that S.G. - if 8 "ounces," volume is 10 fluid ounces (another archaic imperial standard term.) If 7 "ounces" it is 8.75 fluid ounces.

Almost all of us blend fuel by volume. and we still use the terms quart and gallon. A quart is 32 fluid ounces. If the JD lists 8 "ounces" (weight) that is 10 fluid ounces of volume, nearly the 1/3 of a quart for the basic diesel 1:1:1 blend!
Well John Deer thinks that this product contains 198 Grams (7 Ounces Weight) of starting fluid, once again showing the unambiguous superiority of the French system of measurement over that of archaic Anthropometry.

Last edited by qazimoto; 12-07-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:35 PM
atesus
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doclov
Just getting back into diesels after a 20 year absence. What kerosene substitute would you guys recommend for a lower odor/cleaner exhaust. Years ago I tried an unscented lamp oil and my PAW .49 would not start on that mix.
Thanks in advance.
Old thread, but I wanted to give my 2 cents. I'm new to diesels so in no way I'm an authority, but I use 1-K kerosene and Lamplight Farms Ultra Pure Lamp Oil (clear, available at Ace Hardware) interchangeably. I haven't noticed a difference between ease of starting, power output but again, I'm not picky. The lamp oil has a much less noticeable smell. From what I have read, not all lamp oils are equal and this particular one is one of the acceptable substitutes in model diesel engines.