Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Old 01-30-2020, 08:26 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Did you ever get a chance to verify what ever cg you used, sounds a bit nose heavy from your description?
does the factory have recommended cg?

not nose heavy at all. I was at 285mm back from leading edge. Factory I think is 255mm and that is very nose heavy
Old 01-30-2020, 09:44 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Kris will also be using the AR Smoothflight system with the built in gyro and Auto gain feature. Kris can chime in on how fantastic the auto gain system works and how easy it is to set up. The AR system is in our opinion, the best "on board power system and channel expansion unit" on the market. Kris turned his DX18 into a 26 channel (used every channel) radio system.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:21 AM
gunradd

Got one wing done.

leading edge install.... it’s a bit of work and you must be patient. The leading edge is a live hinge so care must be taken to not bend it to far.

start on the outside linkage. The horn is preinstalled but must be installed onto the leading edge. Make sure you use the top hole on the inside and outside. Not sure why 2 holes are drilled.

next do the same on the inside linkage.

now center servo and install the arm. Make sure it’s a small arm. Next attach it to the leading adhesive linkage.

move the system by hand back and fourth to find out the best location for the servo. Try and position in a spot you can drill all 4 holes. Make sure you use a drill marker on your bit (piece of tape) to be sure not to drill through the top of the wing.

i use tape on my screw driver to hold the screws on. It’s a tight area.

I shaved a little metal off the control rod so that it did not interfere with the servo arm. You could also use a spacer.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 AM
gunradd

Aileron well is cake. Not to be said. Picture tells all.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:26 AM
gunradd

Now for the flap. I’m not really sure how the factory wants this done. I do it through the inside of the wing.

I first trimmed the wing out to get the servo in.

then installed the servo arm and moved it to one side. Slid the servo in and secured from the inside of the wing to fuselage holes. This is the simplest way to me. It’s to hard to get to the screws if you go from the bottom.

Before I trimmed

After trimming

Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 PM
Ceeray

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks really good! What is estimate as for AUW? Is it possible to build this under 25kg with a reasonable fuel load?
Old 02-01-2020, 04:17 AM
gunradd

I always put extra scale stuff on mine so not sure. I would say no still though. My last one was 74lbs ready to fly. This one will be lighter though but not sure how much.

the twins are much heavier because you will need a ton of nose weight.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:24 AM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
I always put extra scale stuff on mine so not sure. I would say no still though. My last one was 74lbs ready to fly. This one will be lighter though but not sure how much.

the twins are much heavier because you will need a ton of nose weight.
I was worried about this since the F-18 was the same way. Im planning to but everything in the very tip of the nose, hopefully its not excessively tail heavy.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:21 PM
gunradd

When I took Barry’s apart he had a huge piece of lead in the nose. Bet it was at least a few pounds. This only applies to the twin.

with the single version no weight is needed.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:21 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chris,

In post #19, noticed that metal shielding was adding to both side of the vector nozzles (the center section). Was that done at the factory? Just curious, my F-22 doesn't have any metal on the section between the vector nozzles.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:42 PM
cycross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Jackson
Hey Chris,

In post #19, noticed that metal shielding was adding to both side of the vector nozzles (the center section). Was that done at the factory? Just curious, my F-22 doesn't have any metal on the section between the vector nozzles.
The earlier versions don't have it. But is not difficult to add on your own.

Did mine as it didn't come with it

Just metal plates cut to size and tapping screws will do it. Original was just fibreglass and paint on top.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:06 PM
FenderBean

Hey Chris,

David if you dont have the above shielding its going to melt the tail, I would get some aluminum from Home Depot or Lowes and make your own. Mine has it and im going to line the back of it with ceramic blanket.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:25 AM
gunradd

david on the prototype I had issues with it burning the glass. But it only does it when you use extreme throws on the thrust vectoring. Because of the triangle shape of the nozzles it pushes the hot air sideways when using lots of throw burning the glass. It did not do much until I gave it max throws.

this is why I had them add the metal inside on the production models.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:15 AM
David Jackson

I was planning to add metal and a layer of ceramic blanket in that area. I was just curious to know if this was something the factory decided to do after the first batch of 22s were shipped. My next step is to make a mount to hold the bifurcated pipe in position.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:34 AM
FenderBean

I was planning to add metal and a layer of ceramic blanket in that area. I was just curious to know if this was something the factory decided to do after the first batch of 22s were shipped. My next step is to make a mount to hold the bifurcated pipe in position.
If any pictures of a twin setup are out there could someone please post them? I am about to start the twin turbine install and could use ideas, the biggest thing I am wonder is how far back you set the motors and what the intent is of the two carbon plates on the bottom bulkhead vs the top just being ply? Its glued in but it has a single bolt in the forward section, did the factory intend something to be done a specific way? I dont know, who knows, I bets somebody knows!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 AM
cycross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FenderBean
If any pictures of a twin setup are out there could someone please post them? I am about to start the twin turbine install and could use ideas, the biggest thing I am wonder is how far back you set the motors and what the intent is of the two carbon plates on the bottom bulkhead vs the top just being ply? Its glued in but it has a single bolt in the forward section, did the factory intend something to be done a specific way? I dont know, who knows, I bets somebody knows!
Based on what Kim shared with me, the intention of the two carbon plates was to sandwich one ear of the turbine clamp, or to "slot/drop it in" essentially. That will eliminate the need to put screws to that area yet able to receive the thrust loading onto the fuselage. The top ply is really for the screw-through-hole approach to lock the engine fully in place.
The problem is, every engine has its own mount width and engine diameter. The M166TS will come too narrow to fit properly if the thrust line is to be centrally aligned. I figured I will need ply plates to extend the "wings" of the engine mount to achieve this. I have not actioned it into reality as I have not reach this part of the build.

Someone took a video of a walkaround of Barry's prototype. This was the only glimpse of the turbine mounting I could find. Too low res to make much out. The prototype through-spar also blocked most of the view
Old 02-03-2020, 09:24 AM
FenderBean

Yeah, I figured it maybe something like that, I will make some ply extensions as well. It will be difficult to get the motor centered vertically without a reference.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:55 PM
gunradd

Started painting the bomb bay doors. Next will start working on getting my missiles back in and the moving ejector racks working.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:09 PM
David Jackson

Thought I would paint my large air tanks military green, and put them in the bomb bay.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:01 PM
gunradd

Thought I would paint my large air tanks military green, and put them in the bomb bay.

that’s a cool idea

if you put them in the fuselage paint them black first. You can see them through the fuse vents.

i might do dropping bombs. But not until after FLjets
Old 02-03-2020, 07:04 PM
FenderBean

That is a good idea, could even make them look like dummy bombs.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Kris, or anyone else that knows- what’s the largest diameter (engine) you could fit in this jet?
i wanna install some horsepower😎
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Spencer K
Kris, or anyone else that knows- what’s the largest diameter (engine) you could fit in this jet?
i wanna install some horsepower😎
for single a k260 is the biggest unless you remove the lower bomb bay. For twin I would guess 2 160 size engines.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:02 PM
David Jackson

deleted

Last edited by David Jackson; 02-04-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:24 PM
gunradd

Got the main gear doors glued in today. They are not easy. All the other ones have them installed already they just rushed mine out the door and forgot them.

also rigged up the main door linkages. Pretty easy task.

alao guys if your looking for a foam stand Dirk sells them now. I love this thing. It really helps with hanger rash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.