Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Hello Ian,
You are looking at about $20 for the one sheet plan folded and shipped regular USPS to the UK in a 8 1/2 x 11 manila envelope. Thanks for the comments on my Kingfisher. It does fly very well and often off water. Here is the build thread I did on it here on RCU and like I said, my friend Gerry did the painting:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9408372/tm.htm
Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Idigbo

That would be great if you could sort the plans, could I pay you with Paypal? If thats OK I'll message over my address. I'm so looking forward to this!!!!

Many thanks, Ian.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Idigbo

Many thanks for sorting the plans Chistech, I can't wait to get them!! Have you done any more on your project? I'm missing my Rufe fix!!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
chistech

Hello All,
My buddy building this Rufe has had some personal obligations to take care of and has not had any time to work on his Rufe lately. He should be getting back to it soon. I picked up the old original Maratuka Rufe kit which is a smaller scale from Tora6 and what a beautiful kit it is. It is a perfect size match for my OS2U Kingfisher. I will be posting some pictures soon as I am also copying the plans from this kit. Because both this kit and the Royal Sr Zero kit were designed by Mr. Kato the float would be an easy retro fit once sized up.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Idigbo

Chistech, recieved the float plans this weekend, many many thanks friend

Ian.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 AM
chistech

Glad to hear they arrived "over the pond" without issue. Here are the pictures of the Maratuka Rufe plans and kit. I have been speaking with a gentleman who cuts lazer kits and he would like to make duplicates of this kit. There possibly could be a lot of interest in this as a kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98460.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1742685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19474.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1742686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94357.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1742687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70528.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1742688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43988.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1742689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85850.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1742690   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44657.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1742691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95523.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1742692  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99737.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1742693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40749.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1742694  
Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 AM
chistech

Few more pictures.

Name:	Mk26353.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1742695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79187.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1742696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86767.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1742697  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<style type="text/css"></style>

Adrenalin rush! unhhhhh

Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's a guy on ebay royalfarms who laser cuts a short kit of the zero seems like it would not be a big deal to include the float additions to make this plane, it seems to be a rare version of the kit
Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
royalhfarms
My Feedback: (5)

Hi,
Royalhfarms here, I am talking with chistech already. If we can work somthing out, I can have some laser cut parts for the Marutaka Rufe by Fall. Also coming, the Marutaka Raiden and the Hellcat.

Be patient, Quality takes time.
Royalhfarms
Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
chistech

It is RoyalFarms I have been talking with. The Maratuka Rufe is a slightly smaller scale of the Royal Sr. Zero but if the float is up sized it could easily be adapted to the Sr. Zero.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 PM
royalhfarms
My Feedback: (5)

yes,
 once the floats are in the computer from the Rufe, scaling them up to be used on the slightly larger royal zero sr. should be a piece of cake.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Interesting to compare the construction differences,,

This scaled up to 70" span w/ a 25-30cc gasser would be awesome
Please let us know when the plans/lazer cutting is ready
Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Corsair 29

Royahlfarms,

Please put me on the rufe list as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 AM
chistech

Some updates from Gerry.

At long last, the Zero stabilizer is complete. Problem is....... After much deliberation, it isn't Rufe "applicable! Seems that the
trailing edge of the Rufe elevators ends where the rudder hinge line begins. ( And guess where THIS Zero elevator ends?!! )
Since the Rufe rudder post extends all the way down to the bottom of the fuselage, whereas the Zero rudder ends above the elevator, looks like I'll have to trim 1/4" off the inboard end of the elevators AND extend the stab forward in its fuse saddle by another 1/4". Once I correct for this discrepancy, then its off to the fin/rudder construction and with the "scale" fudging I intend to do to increase the area, I'll be looking at more problematic outcomes while framing everything up. At this point, I'll be moving forward to straight "by the book" construction on the fuselage so it will at least (by my reckoning) look like I've accomplished something rather than build myself into another corner! Feeling really frustrated at the moment. G.

Name:	Nl29859.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1746956  
Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 PM
chistech

The first photo shows a re-drawn Rufe fin/rudder outline using some of the kit's balsa and other pieces added on for a taller fin
and expanded area around the chord at the top of the rudder hinge post. Still looks like a Zero tail, much like the Rufe sideviews
that are seen on the left of the table top in the second photo. Speaking of which, the fin is sheeted over with the pre-cut sheeting that was already in the kit, though I had to add 3/8's balsa to the trailing edge to make up for the added area of the "stretched" ribs within. The 1/64th ply rudder outline id down and tacked in place and a shaped balsa trailing edge is down and a modified and notched rudder post is cemented in place, waiting for the ribs to be added. The notches cut in the 1/64th ply are for the large Robart hinges, ventral fin anchor points and tail light. More to come. G.

Name:	Tr50041.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1748412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80968.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1748413  
Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
GrahamPC

I'm new here, and subscribed! 
I've just been finishing off odds and ends on my previous build, a spitfire from a plan by Tony Nijhuis, and tonight I have got my Royal/marutaka Zero kit out and found all the pieces for the stabiliser, so I've been looking at your photos with interest. 

A (very) kind friend gave me the kit as he thought he would never get around to building it. I have the plan, but I don't have any instructions. Your photo of the first page was very helpful! I had already worked out that some shimming of ribs would be involved! 

I know as a newby its a little cheeky, but If there is any chance of posting photos of the rest of the instruction pages that might reduce the head scratching a little! 

The fuselage in particular looks interesting as there doesn't seem to be a particularly obvious order of construction! It looks like a jig might come in handy!

Anyway, I'll be watching the build with interest and appreciation.
Graham
Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM
chistech

Hi Graham,
Welcome to a Royal build, there are no instructions! []Royal kits take a lot of planning before any building starts. As you can see, Gerry, the builder of this Rufe, had missed the slight differences of the rudder, rudder, and elevator and had to go back and make some minor corrections. All the wing ribs and even the stab ribs have no stand offs or building tabs to aid in alignment so a wing jig is usually used on this type. The fuse can be built in a jig also or blocked up on the side spars to keep it straight.

Ted
Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
chistech

Finally got a few hours of uninterrupted work on the Rufe's rudder, with balsa pockets for the Robart hinges installed. The other side of the rudder is done as well and I'll be doing up some kind of bare bones framework for the bottom half of the rudder to maintain some sort of integrity for the 1/64th ply framework. Once the fuselage is built, I'll carry the remaining fuselage contours
to a tapered end at the trailing edge of the rudder. It will probably consist of tack-glues balsa blocks carved to shape, removed and hollowed out and then re-cemented in place for good. If I can keep this sort of progress going uninterrupted, I'll be feeling a lot more optimistic about a Fall roll-out. G.

Name:	Wu59563.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1748812  
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 AM
GrahamPC

Hi Ted. Thanks for the photos. Keep them coming, I'm watching with interest.

What I was interested in was the sheet you show in post 19, photo #3489. My kit appears complete, but there is no typed sheet in the box. Your photo was helpful becasue it confimed what I thought about building the stabiliser after studying the plan.

Anyway - not to take over your thread - (I may start a build thread somewhere) - but here is my forest! I was sorting through trying to find the bits for the stabiliser. It took a while but I have them all!

I've also traced the stab plan. (I used to work in a drawing office and this comes very naturally to me. It also means when I come to build the wing, I can both halves off of the same tracing paper plan.) As you can see, my plan is a little yellowed, but still clear.

Has your friend given any thought to motive power? What information I've found on the forums seems to suggest that a 61 2 stroke was an engine of choice for many, and should fit in the cowl, but I'd much prefer a 4 stroke!

Here's what I just finished! This was my first 'scalish' build, and my first warbird. I'm hoping to up my scale game a little on the zero! I've found out about building wings without tabed ribs and with floating trailing edges the hard way! She flies really nicely though.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 AM
mintie

Will be keeping an eye on this...here is my Royal Zero snr.built over a time frame of 21years. been flying for 12 months now and it flys absolutely superb
10.5 lbs and Super tiger 61
A lot of work and as already stated the instructions are one page of next to nothing.

Name:	Mk24870.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	1749145  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 AM
chistech

Hi Graham,
If you're building it into a Rufe also go ahead and post right here as this is a Rufe thread. All you pictures and comments will be welcome. Your spit looks great. Was it a Royal also? You know, I didn't realize Gerry had that typed sheet even though it's me posting the pictures and text for him. Guess I forgot. I can get that sheet, scan it, then email it to you. On the power, Gerry has a OS 81 FSa to go in it. These engines have a very high output for their size and weight. (output like a 100 FS). Gerry had his plans copied and they did a reverse image of the wing so he could have both wing halves much like your tracing. He has framed his originals and has them up on his wall. A good "hot ironing" gets the fold lines out.

Mintie: Great looking Zero and glad its a good flyer. Not sure what Gerry's Rufe will come in at weight but his is working at lightening everything he can. The floats usually add close to 2 lbs.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Back in the day guys would build one side of the plans, then flip the plans over and rub mineral or vegetable oil on the plans so the ink showed through the back, cover with wax paper and off you went
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
GrahamPC

Some inspiration to carry on the good work:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvStlhHD7_A[/youtube]

Very nice - though I'm not sure I would attempt a maiden at dusk!

Mind you this one (obviously not a Royal/Marutaka kit in this case) gets a bit hairy at about 30 seconds!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWmFVP1PkTA[/youtube]

I'm going to build mine as a Zero so I will start another build thread, as I don't think there is a complete Royal Zero thread. I will link to this thread and will be watching this build.

I'm not sure of the extent of detail difference between a Zeke and a Rufe (apart from the very obvious one! - and the tail) but I found these walk around photos of a A6M5 which are of very high quality for an online resource. Well worth a look.

My Spit is not a Royal, but built from a magazine plan with a laser cut kit. In terms of instructions, I only had a magazine article, and a few build threads. The internet certainly makes life easier! I enjoy reading build threads.

And... Mintie - your zero looks great. Did you have to put much weight in the nose? I'm starting with the tail, so I'm thinking about how careful I need to be about weight.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Oh my goodness that first video is amazing... the Rufe is awesome!!! He really has that float setup dialed in.

I wonder, since the retract set up is crap on a stock CMP 1.20, maybe one could convert it to a Rufe. I just so happen to have one, but won't be getting to it anytime soon. It would be an awesome project! Anyway, back to the Royal Rufe...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.