Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 02-27-2020, 12:50 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
OK based on the last clue I want to throw out the Yakovlev Yak-38. The Soviet answer to the Harrier Jet.
And right you are, Sir. Congratulations and you are now up! Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft, from first flight to retirement, served for roughly 20 years.

2. It never saw combat.

3. But it would have been interesting, had combat occurred.

4. Particularly had it met the aircraft it was designed to mimic.

5. It was used almost exclusively by the navy; although it could easily operate in different environments.

6. It was a follow on design from an earlier aircraft; although the two had little in common beyond the role they were intended to fulfill.

7. It was a single seater; although a few two seat trainer versions were produced.

8. Fewer than 300 were produced.

9. It was a “near-Mach” design.

10. Primarily because it was decided supersonic flight would simply make development a lot more difficult.

11. Although it was easily as fast as its opposite number.

12. It looked a lot like the aircraft it was designed to mimic; although there were few similarities in actual design.

13. It had three engines.

14. Armed with guns, rockets, missiles and bombs.

15. And it was “nuclear capable”.

Answer: Yakolev Yak-38

The Yakovlev Yak-38 (Russian: Яковлев Як-38; NATO reporting name: "Forger") was the Soviet Naval Aviation's only operational VTOL strike fighter aircraft in addition to being its first operational carrier-based fixed-wing aircraft. It was developed specifically for, and served almost exclusively on, the Kiev-classaircraft carriers (heavy aviation cruiser in Russian classification).

Design and development

Designed by the A.S. Yakovlev Design Bureau JSC, the first drawings showed a supersonic aircraft strongly resembling the Hawker P.1154 in study in the United Kingdom, but with two R27-300 engines. Supersonic performances would have implied many difficulties of development, and it was decided to initially develop a relatively simple aircraft limited to Mach 0.95. Although the Yak-38 and Yak-38M were developed from the land-based Yakovlev Yak-36, the aircraft had almost nothing in common.

The prototype VM-01 was finished on 14 April 1970. Though outwardly similar to the British Hawker Siddeley Harrier, it followed a completely different configuration. Together with a vectorable thrust engine in the rear used during flight, two smaller, and less powerful, engines were housed in the front portion of the fuselage and used purely for takeoff and landing.[note 1]

The Yak-38 possessed an automatic ejection seat. If one of the takeoff engines failed or the aircraft rolled past 60 degrees the pilot was automatically ejected from the aircraft.

Operational history

The majority of Yak-36M initial production deliveries were to the 279 OKShAP (Otdelny Korabelny Shturmovoy Aviatsionny Polk, Independent Shipboard Attack Air Regiment), initially based at Saki, the AV-MF's training centre in Crimea.

In July 1979, Minsk arrived in the Sea of Japan, where the vessel was home-ported at Strelok Bay, the Yak-38 component of its air wing thereafter being provided by the 311 OKShAP subordinate to the Pacific Fleet.[clarification needed]

In September 1982, Novorossiysk – the third Kiev-class carrier – was commissioned. By now the V/STOL technique had been well practised, and the resulting increase in the Yak-38's overall performance and capability was exploited during the passage of Novorossiysk from Severomorsk to join the Pacific Fleet. A pair of armed Yak-38s operating from Minsk intercepted aircraft from the U.S. carrier Enterprise over the Arabian Sea on 16 December 1982. This event marked the first time Soviet VTOL aircraft intercepted American aircraft while armed with missiles.[2]

In a maritime context, the Yak-38 was not limited to the decks of Kiev. In September 1983, AV-MF pilots operated from the civilian Ro-Ro vessel Agostinho Neto, and NII-VVS pilots conducted further tests from another Ro-Ro vessel, Nikolai Cherkasov. In both cases, use was made of a heat-resistant landing platform; further land-based trials tested the practicality of dispersed landing platforms, in a similar concept to the British Royal Air Force's Harrier operations in West Germany.

Yak-36M "Forger"

The initial pre-production version, differing slightly from the Yak-38. It weighed only 6,650 kg (14,660 lb) compared to the Yak-38's 7,370 kg (16,250 lb) and the engines were slightly less powerful.

Yak-38 "Forger-A"

The Yak-38 was the first production model, it first flew on 15 January 1971, and entered service with the Soviet Naval Aviation on 11 August 1976. A total of 143 Yak-38s were produced.

Yak-38M "Forger-A"

The Yak-38M was an upgraded version of the Yak-38, the main difference being the new Tumansky R-28V-300 and Rybinsk RD-38 engines. The maximum takeoff weight in VTOL was increased from 10,300 kg (22,700 lb) to 11,300 kg (24,900 lb) (12,000 kg (26,000 lb) in short takeoff mode). The air intakes were slightly widened and the underwing pylons reinforced to carry a 2,000 lb (910 kg) weapons load. The Yak-38M entered service with the Soviet Naval Aviation after June 1985, a total of 50 Yak-38M being produced.

Yak-38U "Forger-B"

Two-seat training version of the Soviet Naval Aviation. This version differed from the basic aircraft in having an enlarged fuselage to accommodate a two-seat cockpit. The Yak-38U entered service on 15 November 1978, a total of 38 Yak-38U being produced, with the 38th aircraft being delivered in 1981.

Unbuilt projects

Yak-39

Multi-role VTOL fighter/attack aircraft project dating from 1983, employing one R-28V-300 and two RD-48 engines, PRNK-39 avionics suite; S-41D multi-mode radar, larger wing, increased fuel capacity and expanded weapons options based around Shkval or Kaira PGM designation systems.

Specifications (Yakovlev Yak-38M)

General characteristics

· Crew: 1

·

· Length: 16.37 m (53 ft 8 in)

·

· Wingspan: 7.32 m (24 ft 0 in)

·

· Height: 4.25 m (13 ft 11 in)

·

· Wing area: 18.5 m2 (199 sq ft)

·

· Empty weight: 7,385 kg (16,281 lb)

·

· Max takeoff weight: 11,300 kg (24,912 lb)

·

· Powerplant: 1 Χ Tumansky R-28 V-300 Vectored-thrust turbofan engine, 66.7 kN (15,000 lbf) thrust for lift and cruise thrust

·

· Powerplant: 2 Χ Rybinsk RD-38 turbojet engines, 31.9 kN (7,200 lbf) thrust each lift-jets in fwd fuselage behind the cockpit

Performance

·

· Maximum speed: 1,280 km/h (800 mph, 690 kn)

·

· Range: 1,300 km (810 mi, 700 nmi) [5]

·

· Service ceiling: 11,000 m (36,000 ft)

·

· Rate of climb: 75 m/s (14,800 ft/min)

Armament

·

· Guns: GSh-23L 23mm gun pod (GP-9). Carried in one or two UPK-23-250 pods fixed under the external pylons of wings.

·

· Hardpoints: 4 with a capacity of 2,000 kg (4,400 lb),with provisions to carry combinations of:

o

o Rockets: various types of rockets (up to 240 mm)

o

o Missiles: 2 anti-ship or air-to-surface Kh-23 (AS-7 Kerry). The Kh-23 required a guidance pod on one of the pylons. R-60 or R-60M (AA-8 Aphid) air-to-air missiles could be carried under the external pylons.

o

o Bombs: two FAB-500 or four FAB-250 general-purpose bombs under pylons, two incendiary ZB-500, or two nuclear RN-28 bombs.

o

o Other: external tanks.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:59 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The 3 engines was a dead give away. I have to go out of town tomorrow and will be gone all weekend. Would anyone object if I waited until Monday to post a new quiz? Or if someone has something in mind they can post and I can jump in later on.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:55 AM
Ernie P.

The 3 engines was a dead give away. I have to go out of town tomorrow and will be gone all weekend. Would anyone object if I waited until Monday to post a new quiz? Or if someone has something in mind they can post and I can jump in later on.
Sir; I think we can wait for your return. In the interim, would anyone care to talk about their favorite warbird? Mine is the P-38; probably because it was the first airplane to interest my young mind. I was three, I think; and I got a new coloring book. I opened the book and there it was. I looked at the drawing of a P-38 rolling into a dive and thought "One day, I want to do that". Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:34 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A-6 Intruder it brought me home too many times to count!
EA-6B Prowler It brought me home in Desert Storm. Had the Iraquies had their stuff together it was expected that 6 of the14 that flew the first night would get shot down.
Thank goodness war gamers only play the game.....
Sparky
Old 02-29-2020, 08:12 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
A-6 Intruder it brought me home too many times to count!
EA-6B Prowler It brought me home in Desert Storm. Had the Iraquies had their stuff together it was expected that 6 of the14 that flew the first night would get shot down.
Thank goodness war gamers only play the game.....
Sparky
Sparky; it strikes me that you and I share a common privilege. We both, from time to time, overhear a discussion going on nearby about some event in history. We interject an opinion. When challenged or contradicted, we get to say "Hell, boy; I was there". It's an earned privilege. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The Prowler was one mean plane. Supposedly, during work ups for my first cruise, back in 1983, one of my squadron's planes was being chased by an F-14. After several minutes of not being able to shake the pesky fighter, one of the Prowler weapon's operators locked on to the Tomcat and flipped the switch. The Tomcat broke off the chase and headed directly to NAS Miramar. Never did hear exactly what happened to that airplane but, for it to make the flight back to Miramar, without stopping for fuel, it had to have been pretty screwed up.
Being at a given point in history can happen to anyone. I was on board the USS Kitty Hawk, in the Sea of Japan, when it collided with a Russian "Victor" class nuclear submarine. Many people say that never happened, just US propaganda, but it could have started a shooting war between the US and Soviet Union had anyone made a mistake. Here's a video that talks about the event:

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-29-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The Prowler was one mean plane. Supposedly, during work ups for my first cruise, back in 1983, one of my squadron's planes was being chased by an F-14. After several minutes of not being able to shake the pesky fighter, one of the Prowler weapon's operators locked on to the Tomcat and flipped the switch. The Tomcat broke off the chase and headed directly to NAS Miramar. Never did hear exactly what happened to that airplane but, for it to make the flight back to Miramar, without stopping for fuel, it had to have been pretty screwed up.
Being at a given point in history can happen to anyone. I was on board the USS Kitty Hawk, in the Sea of Japan, when it collided with a Russian "Victor" class nuclear submarine. Many people say that never happened, just US propaganda, but it could have started a shooting war between the US and Soviet Union had anyone made a mistake. Here's a video that talks about the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACSzlEX362o
Yeah; there are some compensations for being called "the old guy", aren't there? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Yeah; there are some compensations for being called "the old guy", aren't there? Thanks; Ernie P.
I don't know about that one. I'm still called a kid by many of my friends. That said, the day someone calls me "Pappy" is the day I'm in trouble
Old 03-01-2020, 05:38 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Eye ball to eyeball with the ruskies. Western Pacific December 25 1988
What does it take to defend our freedom? I bet your Christmas pictures from 1988 aren't like mine. I was thousands of miles away from my home, wife and 1 year old daughter.
It all comes at a cost.
PS I was on Kitty Hawk (2 deployments) late 70's for the Irainian Hostage and finished with 399 traps aboard the KH, I always though that flight deck handled planes better than any flight deck I was on.
Sparky

Last edited by elmshoot; 03-01-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:56 AM
Ernie P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACSzlEX362o
Hydro Junkie; thanks for posting that; Ernie P.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about that one. I'm still called a kid by many of my friends. That said, the day someone calls me "Pappy" is the day I'm in trouble
Now, I am feeling OLD, I retired from the USAF in 1985.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:27 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Sekhet
Now, I am feeling OLD, I retired from the USAF in 1985.
I retired in April, 1988; after 23-1/2 years total. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

I got out after 6 years and 7 months, though not by my choice. I had two things happen that kind of forced my hand:
1) I was just about to the end of my shore duty rotation and was looking at having to go to a ship. The at the time wife(we ended up divorced 4 or 5 years later) didn't want me to go to sea, thinking I'd be in a different bed every time I hit a port so it was get out of the Navy or be divorced after my first deployment
2) I was taken to an Article 15 Hearing on bogus charges. Even though my senior enlisted chain of command backed me, my direct supervisor(an E-5 who thought he was a god and had to take everyone that worked under him in front of the OIC) had the support of a GS-13 who was the one that actually ran the office and forced the hearing. This was only 6 weeks before the end of my enlistment so I had the admin staff process me over to the reserves, without saying anything to the GS-13 or OIC(a Warrant 3). Since I didn't say anything, the OIC had all the paperwork pulled and had me processed out with an honorable discharge but with an RE-4 re-enlistment code, effectively blocking me from going into the reserves.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good morning all! I got back from Kansas in time to do a little research and I found a subject so shall we begin?

I am looking for a Warbird.

1. This airplane was the first military aircraft produced by a famous name in aviation.
2. It had many bold design advances.
3. Only one prototype was built.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2020, 03:40 PM
Ernie P.

Good morning all! I got back from Kansas in time to do a little research and I found a subject so shall we begin?

1. This airplane was the first military aircraft produced by a famous name in aviation.

Good luck!
Well, how about the first military aircraft? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Wright Military Flyer

The Wright Model A was an early aircraft produced by the Wright Brothers in the United States beginning in 1906. It was a development of their Flyer III airplane of 1905. The Wrights built about seven Model As in their bicycle shop during the period 1906–1907 in which they did no flying. One of these was shipped to Le Havre in 1907 in order to demonstrate it to the French. The Model A had a 35-horsepower (26 kW) engine and seating for two with a new control arrangement. Otherwise it was identical to the 1905 airplane. The Model A was the first aircraft that they offered for sale, and the first aircraft design to enter serial production anywhere in the world. Apart from the seven machines the Wrights built themselves in 1906–1907, they sold licences for production in Europe with the largest number of Model As actually being produced in Germany by Flugmaschine Wright GmbH, which built about 60 examples.

The 1909 Military Flyer was a one-of-a-kind Model A built by the Wright Brothers. With wings shortened two feet and the same engine salvaged from the 1908 Wright Military Flyer wrecked at Fort Myer, it differed from the standard Wright A in size and had a faster speed. The aircraft was demonstrated at Fort Myer, Virginia, beginning June 28, 1909 for the Aeronautical Division of the U.S. Army Signal Corps, which offered a contract of $25,000 ($711,389 in 2008 dollars) for an aircraft capable of flying at 40 miles per hour (64 km/h) with two people on board for a distance of 125 miles (201 km). After rigorous trials the Signal Corps accepted the airplane as "Signal Corps (S.C.) No. 1", August 2, 1909, paying the brothers $30,000 ($853,667 in 2012 US dollars
Old 03-02-2020, 08:11 PM
FlyerInOKC

Good guess but not the Wright Flyer. You get a bonus clue.

4. The aircraft had 2 engines.
5. The aircraft had a limited production
Old 03-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Ernie P.

Good guess but not the Wright Flyer. You get a bonus clue.

4. The aircraft had 2 engines.
5. The aircraft had a limited production
Hmmm..... Only one prototype, but limited production? First military aircraft by that manufacturer? How about the Airacuda? Thanks; Ernie P.
Answer: The Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

The Bell YFM-1 Airacuda was an American heavy fighter aircraft, developed by the Bell Aircraft Corporation during the mid-1930s. It was the first military aircraft produced by Bell. Originally designated the Bell Model 1, the Airacuda first flew on 1 September 1937. The Airacuda was marked by bold design advances and considerable flaws that eventually grounded the aircraft.

The Airacuda was Bell Aircraft's answer for a "bomber destroyer" aircraft. Although it did see limited production, and one fully operational squadron was eventually formed, only one prototype and 12 production models were ultimately built, in three slightly different versions.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ernie my friend you nailed it! I guess I should have picked the other aircraft I was looking at. I had recently seen a plans and short kit for this airplane and it stuck in my head. The model in question was a good 110" so I disqualified it as a project. Considering the Aircuda was such a failure I didn't think anyone would get it right off the bat. I underestimated you!

Mike
Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Hmmm..... Only one prototype, but limited production? First military aircraft by that manufacturer? How about the Airacuda? Thanks; Ernie P.
Answer: The Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

The Bell YFM-1 Airacuda was an American heavy fighter aircraft, developed by the Bell Aircraft Corporation during the mid-1930s. It was the first military aircraft produced by Bell. Originally designated the Bell Model 1, the Airacuda first flew on 1 September 1937. The Airacuda was marked by bold design advances and considerable flaws that eventually grounded the aircraft.

The Airacuda was Bell Aircraft's answer for a "bomber destroyer" aircraft. Although it did see limited production, and one fully operational squadron was eventually formed, only one prototype and 12 production models were ultimately built, in three slightly different versions.

Design and development[edit]

In an effort to break into the aviation business, Bell Aircraft created a unique fighter concept touted to be "a mobile anti-aircraft platform"[3] as well as a "convoy fighter."[4] Created to intercept enemy bombers at distances beyond the range of single-seat fighter interceptors, the YFM-1 (Y, service test; F, fighter; M, multiplace) was an innovative design incorporating many features never before seen in a military aircraft, as well as several never seen again. Using a streamlined, "futuristic" design, the Bell Airacuda appeared to be "unlike any other fighters up to that time."[5]

According to Major Alexander De Seversky's 1942 book, Victory Through Air Power, the Bell Airacuda "represents a great engineering achievement. But its designation as ′convoy fighter′ is erroneous, since that requires different disposition of armament. With its maximum firepower directed forward, it really offers a preview of an effective long-range interceptor fighter."[4]

A forward-firing 37 mm (1.46 in) M4 cannon with an accompanying gunner was mounted in a forward compartment of each of the two engine nacelles.[2] Although capable of aiming the cannons, the gunners' primary purpose was simply to load them with the 110 rounds of ammunition stored in each nacelle.[2]

The crew of five included the pilot and gunners; a copilot/navigator who doubled as a fire-control officer, using a Sperry Instruments "Thermionic" fire control system (originally developed for anti-aircraft cannon) combined with a gyro-stabilised and an optical sight to aim the weapons;[2] and a radio operator/gunner armed with a pair of machine guns stationed at mid-fuselage waist blisters for defense against attack from the rear.[2]

An unusual feature of the Airacuda was the main door for entry. The door was opened and pulled down and hinges folded in on three steps for the crew to climb into the aircraft.[6]

Design flaws[edit]

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Bell_YFM-1_Airacuda.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	2266618
Bell YFM-1 during testingThe Airacuda was plagued with problems from the start. The lofty performance estimates were unobtainable as, despite its sleek looks, the Airacuda was heavy and was slower than most bombers. In the event of interception by enemy fighters, the Airacuda was not maneuverable enough to dogfight, while the meager 600 lb (270 kg) bombload was of little use in the intended fighter-bomber role. Even the 37 mm cannons were of less value than predicted. The cannons had a tendency to fill the gun nacelles with smoke whenever fired and, additionally, fears persisted as to how the gunners would escape in an emergency, with the propellers directly behind them. An emergency bailout would have required both propellers to be feathered,[3] though additional provision was made with the use of explosive bolts on the propellers to jettison them in the event of a bailout. As with other types armed with the 37mm M4, the low muzzle velocity of the weapon made it difficult to use as an aerial weapon, limiting the useful range significantly (although this was never a problem for the YFM-1 since it never actually entered combat).

The Allison V-1710-41 engines, though relatively trouble-free in other types, had insufficient cooling systems installed.[3] Like many pusher designs, they were prone to overheating while on the ground, since there is no propwash blowing over the engines to cool them. On the ground, the aircraft had to be towed to and from the runway and could only be started when the Airacuda was able to take off immediately. Even in the air it was not uncommon to experience overheating problems. Although designed for turbo-supercharging, the first flights were made with V-1710-9 single-stage supercharged engines that only delivered 1,000 hp (750 kW) each. Despite the 5 ft (1.5 m)-long shaft extensions, there were no problems with this feature. When the turbos were fitted to the later YFM-1, they were plagued by cranky turbo regulators that backfired continuously. An explosion during a September 1939 test flight made it apparent that the teething engine troubles would not be solved easily.

Additionally, Marshall Wainwright notes that other sources indicate the first eight aircraft were to originally have been powered by Allison V-1710-13 engines fitted with GE Type B-6 turbo-superchargers (turbochargers). These aircraft were eventually delivered with improved V-1710-23(D2) engines. Wainwright further states that two of the YFM-1 airframes were changed on the production line to accept the V-1710-41 without turbo-supercharging, becoming YFM-1Bs. This is noted in a contract change dated 19 October 1939 which shows that aircraft 38-489 and 38-490 had their turbos, all associated ducting, and controls removed and V-1710-41(D2A) "Altitude Rated" engines installed instead. The (D2A) was essentially a -23 with higher supercharger gear ratios (8.77:1 versus 6.23:1), which allowed the motor to develop around 1,090 horsepower (810 kW) up to 13,200 ft (4,000 m) ASL. They used the same ratings and components as the Altitude Rated V-1710-33(C15) Allison fitted to the original Curtiss XP-40. Allison was paid $1,690 to modify each engine.[7][8]

Initial flight testing by Lt. Ben Kelsey proved the Airacuda virtually impossible to control with only one engine, as the aircraft would go into an immediate spin. Problems with stability in pitch were also encountered,[2] and had to be corrected by reducing power. Test pilot Erik Shilling described his experiences in a later book, Destiny: A Flying Tiger's Rendezvous With Fate as:
Flying the Bell Airacuda was a new experience for me, since it was the first pusher aircraft I'd ever flown. Its handling characteristics were foreign to anything I had ever had my hands on. Under power it was unstable in pitch, but stable with power off. While flying straight and level, if a correction in pitch was required, a forward push on the control resulted in the airplane wanting to pitch over even more. Pitch control became a matter of continually jockeying the controls, however slightly, even when the aircraft was in proper trim. The same applied if pulling back on the control. It would tend to continue pitching up, requiring an immediate corrective response. The same happened in a turn with power off, the Bell became stable in pitch. This was fortunate because during approach and landing, it was very stable, and a nice flying airplane."[4]
The Airacuda was also saddled with a complex and temperamental electrical system and was the only aircraft ever built to rely on an independent auxiliary power unit (APU) to power both engine fuel pumps, as well as all aircraft electrical systems.[9] Systems usually powered by an aircraft's engines were instead powered by the single generator. The generator, with its own supercharger, was located in the belly of the aircraft. In the event of a failure (and they occurred frequently), the crew was instructed to begin immediate emergency restart procedures as the aircraft basically shut down. When the APU failed, the pilot had "NO fuel pressure, NO vacuum, NO hydraulic pressure, NO gear, NO flaps and NO ENGINES".[10]

Accidents[edit]

Despite the aircraft's many faults, only two were lost in accidents (although considering that only 12 were ever built, the statistics are not favorable with many other types, at a 16.6% loss ratio; especially when the actual aircraft saw so little operational service that would even expose it to hazard of accidents). The seventh aircraft (38-492) was on its final test flight from the Buffalo factory prior to delivery to the Air Corps when pilot John Strickler, a Bell pilot and engineer/co-pilot Brian Sparks, who was Bell's chief test pilot at the time, encountered problems recovering from a deliberate spin attempt which was part of the test flight profile. Despite every effort to emerge from the spin, the aircraft would not respond, and it appeared that the rudder had locked. Co-pilot Sparks shut down the engines and waited for the propellers to come to a stop before bailing out. Because of the tandem seating, it was necessary for Sparks to exit the aircraft first, and in doing so he struck the empennage, breaking his legs — and in the process, freeing the rudder.[2] Strickler decided to stay with the aircraft and attempt an emergency landing. By this time, the aircraft had lost sufficient altitude that there was not time to restart the engines. Strickler put the Airacuda down hard in a farmer's field, and walked away unhurt. The Airacuda was so badly damaged it had to be scrapped.

All three Airacudas with tricycle landing gear encountered problems and were damaged at one time or another. The most serious accident occurred to YFM-1A (Model 8) 38-497, on a flight between Chanute Field, Illinois, and Keesler Field, Mississippi, when a broken oil line started a fire. The cause of the broken line appeared to be serious airframe vibration encountered during the flight. With no way of extinguishing the fire, both the pilot and crew chief agreed to bail out. The pilot was killed when his parachute failed to deploy (he may have struck the tail while bailing out). This was the only fatality to occur during the flying of Airacudas. The accident investigation report stated "inherent defects in design caused constant maintenance difficulties and the flying of this type has been very limited."

Operational history[edit]

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Airacuda_Bell_XFM-1_%2815954491367%29.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	2266619
Bell XFM-1 Airacuda in flightDespite these problems, one fully operational Airacuda squadron was eventually assembled, and operated from 1938 until 1940. Funds were appropriated, but never released, for the purchase of two groups of Airacudas.[2] Continuing problems gave the aircraft a reputation as "hangar queens".[11] Near the end of the type's operational life, the aircraft were flown primarily for photo opportunities and always accompanied by a chase plane for safety. Eventually the decision was made to disperse the aircraft to various airfields to give pilots an opportunity to add the unusual aircraft to their log books. Airacudas were sent at various times to Langley Field, Virginia; Maxwell Field, Alabama; Hamilton Field, California; and Wright Field, in Dayton, Ohio. YFM-1 38-488 was displayed at the 1940 World's Fair in New York, finished in the markings of the 27th Pursuit Squadron. During this time, the aircraft saw limited flight time, as few pilots were interested in flying the unusual aircraft.

Several plans were made to modify the Airacudas to give them operational status, including modifying the airframe and adding more powerful engines, but all proposals were eventually rejected. In early 1942, despite fears of enemy bomber attacks against which the Airacuda was intended, the aircraft were stricken from inventory.[2]

Variants[edit]

The prototype, known as the XFM-1, incorporated a tailwheel, side "blister" ports, and a smooth, rounded canopy. This is the best known, and most produced version. An updated version called the YFM-1A eliminated the side blisters and added externally mounted radiators and turbo-superchargers. Produced in 1940, the final version designated YFM-1B, was slightly larger, had slightly less powerful Allison engines and incorporated a tricycle landing gear. The canopy was redesigned, with a flat forward windshield. A rearward-facing belly gunner's position was also added. The resulting aircraft was roughly the size of a Douglas B-18 Bolo medium bomber. Three YFM-1Bs were produced in 1939 before production was finally terminated.
XFM-1(Model 1) Prototype powered by two 1,150 hp V-1710-13 engines, one (38-351) built.[12][13]YFM-1(Model 7) Development aircraft powered by two 1,150 hp V-1710-23 engines and fitted with 37 mm cannons in wing nacelles, eight built, two later converted to YFM-1B.[12]YFM-1A(Model 8) Development aircraft with tricycle landing gear, three built.[12]YFM-1BYFM-1 re-engined with 1,090 hp V-1710-41 engines, two converted from YFM-1.[12]YFM-1C(Model 17) – proposed variant not proceeded with.[N 1]

Scrapping[edit]

By 1942, all nine surviving YFM-1 airframes had been flown by ferry crews to a training facility at Chanute Field, Illinois, where the aircraft were assigned to the 10th Air Base Squadron to be used for ground crew instruction. By March 1942, all Airacudas had been scrapped.[2][N 2]

Specifications (XFM-1)[edit]

Data from [14]

General characteristics
  • Crew: five (pilot, copilot/navigator, radio operator/gunner, two gunners)
  • Length: 44 ft 10 in (13.67 m)
  • Wingspan: 69 ft 10 in (21.29 m)
  • Height: 13 ft 7 in (4.14 m)
  • Wing area: 684 sq ft (63.5 m2)
  • Airfoil: NACA 23018/NACA 23009 [15]
  • Empty weight: 13,376 lb (6,067 kg)
  • Gross weight: 17,333 lb (7,862 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 21,625 lb (9,809 kg)
  • Fuel capacity: 400 US gal (1,500 l)
  • Powerplant: 2 Χ Allison V-1710-9 liquid-cooled turbosupercharged V-12, 1,090 hp (810 kW) each
  • Propellers: three-bladed
Performance
  • Maximum speed: 277 mph (446 km/h, 241 kn)
  • Cruise speed: 244 mph (393 km/h, 212 kn)
  • Range: 2,600 mi (4,200 km, 2,300 nmi)
  • Service ceiling: 30,500 ft (9,300 m)
  • Rate of climb: 1,480 ft/min (7.5 m/s)
Armament
Old 03-03-2020, 11:01 AM
Ernie P.

[QUOTE=FlyerInOKC;12586852]Ernie my friend you nailed it! I guess I should have picked the other aircraft I was looking at. I had recently seen a plans and short kit for this airplane and it stuck in my head. The model in question was a good 110" so I disqualified it as a project. Considering the Aircuda was such a failure I didn't think anyone would get it right off the bat. I underestimated you!

Mike

Sir; I would have had it earlier, but I was interpreting your clue (3) to mean "Only one prototype, and no production models, was built". I wouldn't even had tried the Airacuda except I thought "Maybe he's being tricky; because there was actually only one prototype and a handful of production models". So, I tried it. Good question; but you asked it when I have plenty of time to research and ponder. I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so I can't be up and out as much as normal. I'll post my next question later today. I just need to make up the clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm sorry to hear about the rotator cuff I know they can be painful! I look forward to see what you come up with.

Mike.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Ernie P.

I'm sorry to hear about the rotator cuff I know they can be painful! I look forward to see what you come up with.

Mike.

Mike; I know everyone (whatever that actually means) says rotator cuff surgery is really painful, but I don't find it to be so bad. I had the right shoulder done a few years ago, and the left this time (both from oddball slip and falls; I'm not normally prone to falling). Now, I don't know what other people feel; but after coming out from anesthesia both times, I didn't take any form of pain killers, not even aspirin. Maybe I don't feel pain to the same degree as most people. Maybe a lot of people are wimps. Maybe I'm just a tough old SOB. Who knows? I can only speak for me. But to me, it's an inconvenience and little more. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:44 PM
FlyerInOKC

My wife had the torn rotator cuff, what hurt her was the rehab.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was built by a famous and successful manufacturer.

2. It was designed by a famous and successful designer.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:16 AM
Ernie P.

A couple of clues to catch up on the day. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was built by a famous and successful manufacturer.

2. It was designed by a famous and successful designer.

3. Together, those two had produced several famous and very successful aircraft.

4. But this aircraft was an unmitigated failure.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the Vought F7U seems to fit the clues pretty well, although "unmitigated" may be a little strong. But it was pretty bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.