Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat Volcano EPX pro servo saver adjustment

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Volcano EPX pro servo saver adjustment

Old 02-28-2020, 08:12 AM
depusn23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Volcano EPX pro servo saver adjustment

Hello everyone. So i recently decided to get into the RC truck hobby after buying my son a 1/16th scale RC truck on Amazon... I got bit by the bug. The first truck i decided to go with was the Redcat Volcano EPX pro. I am pretty good working and fixing things, so i figured, i'd bash it around and fix it up (upgrade) it as i went. Turns out i've done more fixing than bashing. No issue has been bigger than the servo saver upgrade. After upgrading from the stock plastic servo saver to an aluminum one, along with a 20KG metal gear servo, i found that once i turn the wheels one way or the other, and let go of the turning know on the transmitter, the wheels do not come back centerline. I've included a few pictures with this issue. In one picture the wheels are straight, in the next picture the wheels are turned all the way right, the last picture shows the wheels after i've let go of the turning knob on the transmitter, but the wheels are still slightly turned right. I have tried adjusting the servo saver adjustment screw but nothing seems to work. Has anyone run into this same issue with a Volcano EPX pro. I am seriously considering upgrading to a Tekno or Arrma truck. Thanks.

Dion P.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:48 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

They are known to be weak servo savers. The aluminum steering upgrade is also known to bind if tightened to much. Disconnect the servo linkage and check that you can move the bellcranks easily. If it wwere me, I'd find a way to lock the servo saver up, and send it.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:15 PM
depusn23

Awesome, thanks Rusty. I was able to correct the issue and the car is working good again. Thinking of getting an ArrmaKraton now.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:03 PM
mjones73

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since going aluminum, does your servo saver back off it's adjustment? I have an aluminum one coming, I find the plastic one just won't hold, the thumb wheel backs off til it won't steer anymore.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:16 AM
besis1979

High just like OG poster i'm semi new to hobby, i build and fixed up my buggy in the 80's and I bought a cheap one at Target (that broke in a week) for my 5 year old and the bug had bitten me and spent hours looking for a replacement until i pulled the trigger on Volcano EXP. I just got my aluminum upgrade in mail and have problems also, its like its binding up to much for the hexfly servo, i have tried loosening things and its still not working. my problem is will not go full turn in either direction. if i unhook the arm to servo saver, the servo works fine, does the factory hexfly have enough torque for the metal upgrade? i upgraded mine because the plastic opened a gap between the pieces (looks melted) and would not turn at all. could the servo be bad, my son really bashes this thing? so far the only problem I've had.
also - do you use any grease or oil on the bottom or top of servo saver, i notice there is no bearings on saver it self (only on left side steering post that comes with kit)

Last edited by besis1979; 05-31-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 05-31-2020, 11:59 AM
mjones73

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by besis1979
High just like OG poster i'm semi new to hobby, i build and fixed up my buggy in the 80's and I bought a cheap one at Target (that broke in a week) for my 5 year old and the bug had bitten me and spent hours looking for a replacement until i pulled the trigger on Volcano EXP. I just got my aluminum upgrade in mail and have problems also, its like its binding up to much for the hexfly servo, i have tried loosening things and its still not working. my problem is will not go full turn in either direction. if i unhook the arm to servo saver, the servo works fine, does the factory hexfly have enough torque for the metal upgrade? i upgraded mine because the plastic opened a gap between the pieces (looks melted) and would not turn at all. could the servo be bad, my son really bashes this thing? so far the only problem I've had.
also - do you use any grease or oil on the bottom or top of servo saver, i notice there is no bearings on saver it self (only on left side steering post that comes with kit)
If you replaced the steering joint along with the servo saver, you can't tighten it down or it will bind. Use lockite on the screws where it attaches to the servo saver and the steering assembly and leave them a bit loose.

Last edited by mjones73; 05-31-2020 at 12:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
besis1979 (05-31-2020)