Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C

Oh my goodness that first video is amazing... the Rufe is awesome!!! He really has that float setup dialed in.

I wonder, since the retract set up is crap on a stock CMP 1.20, maybe one could convert it to a Rufe. I just so happen to have one, but won't be getting to it anytime soon. It would be an awesome project! Anyway, back to the Royal Rufe...
I have one in the attic for just this reason, I'll chronicle the build in the seaplane section when the time comes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graham,
Thanks for the post of the Maratuka Rufe video. It's great to know that the smaller 40-50 size plane flies so well. I would think the wing loading is higher on this 60" span plane but it looks like it flies solid. You can tell by it's descent that it is on the heavy side but not much different than my Kingfisher. I didn't see any flaps deployed so putting them on would help with the landings. Maybe in a year or so I will start on mine. Once Royal Farms has copied the kit.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
MN Flyer

Anyone know what happened to royalhfarms? I got a kit from him and it looks great but he seems to have dissappeared. Hopefully working on more kits!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
chistech

Royalfarms is a real farmer and it's planting time right now. I would suspect he is getting up early and going to bed late without even looking at a computer. He will get back to you when he has time. I know that this time of the year he said he doesn't build kits because he is just too busy with the farm.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
chistech

Finally got to starting the fuselage by laying out the formers and sawing them in half at the equator. Once the side keel pieces were down, starting at
bulkhead # 3, they were centered all the way down to bulkhead # 9, squared, pinned and cemented in place. Since the stab gets cemented against # 9 and it had to be moved forward 3/8ths of an inch, I traced around that bulkhead about 3/32nds larger on spare plywood and made a new one to fit in the new location. Forward balsa blocks were glued against formers # 3 & 4 (instrument panel bulkhead) and part of it has already been razor planed and sanded close to its final shape.
Looking forward to sheeting the sides and getting the tail blocks in place as the next step.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48840.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1751324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35425.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1751325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51022.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1751326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81284.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1751327  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
GrahamPC

Wow - that's clever! When I read those instructions which say "The fuselage is round, tapered, and extremely difficult to align, but it must be built straight" (encouraging! I was thinking of all sorts of ways of doing this involving building a giant jig out of scrap wood. Well this looks to be a better way of doing it!

I bit the bullet and started a thread, as I'm going to build mine as a Zeke, but your build log sure is helping!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
royalhfarms
My Feedback: (5)

Brian here from royalhfarms,

I am still here,  It is just time for the planes to go into a holding pattern for the Summer.  I have to do my real job to pay the bills (farming). If you have something specific, my email is [email protected] . Depending on the weather (rain days) I might be able to cut some kits out.  No promises however. I will be back in full swing on the planes around Thanks Giving

Brian-royalhfarms
Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM
chistech

With the bulkheads still pinned to the worktable, the strip planking has begun. I'm using a method I read about years ago in a "How to" section of a model magazine where a 1/4" piece of balsa is glued to the bottom of a balsa stripper on the side away from the blade. The planks are 3/8ths of an inch wide and both edges are angled to interlock with the previous plank glued down. Alternating side to side, etc., it goes pretty fast and what a time to run out of C/A.

Name:	Zx72089.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1752223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97407.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1752224  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 AM
chistech

Finally got the upper half of the fuse fully sheeted and rough sanded. The other shot is of the forward bulkhead # 3. As seen, all formers have their ID
numbers printed at the top, so that's the way I cemented them in. Another modeler from Britain (thanks Graham) sent a "heads up" that I may have put that # 3 in upside down as the plan drawings are rather ambiguous and sure enough.......... I did! DAMMIT!!!!! Hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm grateful for another set of eyes to pick up on this oversight. As is, without realizing the difference, there would have been no bulkhead area where needed to drill the mounting holes for the wing's leading edge dowels. I'm walking away from this debacle for a bit so I can cool off and get a better attitude. I've got a plan up my sleeve and I'll implement it later. My next step before anything else is to make a custom foam cradle ( I knew foam was good for something! ) to hold the fuse upside down on the building board so the lower half can be built.

Name:	Bz79221.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1753515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93586.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1753516  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 AM
neons
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Coming along nicely. Like the same way you build a boat. Here ae a few study planes to help pick a subject to copy.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Naka...EKKV6AGo2fiABA

This is one of my favorite reference websites. Read the References to find modeling secrets. Rufe = A6M2-N
http://hyperscale.com/index_air_a.htm

**Neons** Bob
Dare to Be Different - Foam Lives
Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 AM
GrahamPC

Any news on the build?

Having got a little further with the build, I think my idea of making another bottom of the front bulkhead would work. I don't think you need to extract the one you have used. You might need to create some way of locating the tank, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Graham
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 AM
chistech

Hi Graham,
I believe Gerry is planning on doing exactly that. Not sure if he's done any more on it lately. He hasn't sent me any pictures or any text since the last I posted. We've both been very busy and haven't even really talked much only on upcoming club stuff. We have a large static show planned at our local airport for the 29th of May and that has been our main topic of discussion. I'll ask him if he's done any more on his Rufe and if he has I'll make sure he sends it to me to post. I'm sure other subscribers and waiting too.

Ted
Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM
chistech

All bottom formers have been cemented in place and as a precaution, a few brace pieces of 1/64th ply have been cemented at the mid-points of all
formers. More ply braces will be added to both sides of the first 3 formers as a precaution. The inner ply longerons at the wing saddle are cemented in place and these will form the anchor points of all the balsa blocks that will be added and shaped to form the wing fillets. There is a temporary truss assembly at the tail which only serves to center and align the balsa stab saddles that will be cemented in place. Not exactly sure how this will all come together in the tail since the stab is placed a bit more forward, saddles and all, in order for the elevators trailing edge to be completely forward of the full length rudder of the Rufe.

Note: Trying to upload pictures but as usual there is a problem. Will get them up once the "error" goes away.

Another day later and still not able to upload the pictures.

Finally got the pictures up. 5/30

Name:	Ay76158.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1763275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70497.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1763276  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM
chistech

Hello All,
I have finally picked up the Marutaka Rufe kit plans from Gerry's house and have them in my possession, Please contact me if you would like copies. I have Corsair 29 on the list so far. Any other takers? Price will be around $20 for the two sheets plus shipping as the copying company's pricing was at $10 per sheet last I knew. I can ship both folded and tubed with the tubed version of course costing the most. Shipping with be actual. If easier, you can call me.

Thanks Ted
978-337-4617
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM
chistech

I am waiting a few more days before I go copy the plans. There has been lots of interest not just here on RCU and the plan count is up to 7 sets. I am putting people on the list here so you know I will be making you a set. If you have emailed or PM'd me and don't see your name here (I will update) let me know.

These are plans of the original Marutaka/Royal 40 size Rufe (it is more like a 50 size as even a 60 size two stroke is listed) and unlike the larger Zero plan, it shows split flaps.

Remember, I will need to know if you want folded or rolled plans and PayPal is the best payment method. I will ship virtually anywhere on your dime of course.

Thanks, Ted

RCU members wanting plans so far:

Corsair 29
Military Planes
Firepower R/C
Wizard 61
Zeromad 1
BigTim

Please note: These plans are for private use.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 AM
zeromad 1

hi Ted just be careful you don't send plans to a company as they may start producing copies from what you supply them.
and can you keep a copy for me as i would like a set once I get those other plans off corsair.
many thanks

Scott.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:48 AM
scale only 4 me

Ted,
I bet the AMA Plans service would like a copy

Ebay sellers with get them eventually if there is a demand
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
chistech

Hi Tom,
Do you think AMA plans would want a set really? Would they offer them for sale. I know both Marutaka and Royal are gone but not sure if the licensing is still not in effect.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM
scale only 4 me

I don't know how they deal with copyright issues of defunct companies, but it would be nice to have them in the hands of a reputable organization.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM
neons
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There have been some ongoing discusions going on for some time now about plans copyright issues. There have been over 300 pages in the squabbles there that has split many modelors donating plans there. Here is a sample page of some of the notes. #8401 and #8404 . Just type in copyright in the Search the Thread for more. I thlnk this plan should be good if well before 1978 printing and not on any companies plan list.
Sample rebuttals:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...w#post20619543
Old 10-11-2012, 11:44 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal plans have been for sale on ebay for quite a while I haven't seen this particular model though, the regular zero is there I would love to build the 60 size with the float option
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
chistech

Bigtim,
I have put you on the list but the plans are for a 40 size. If you would like the plans enlarged to the 60 size let me know as I am doing that for my buddy Gerry anyway. Not sure if the local copy shop can figure the proper percentage to increase the size but one shop I've used about 1/2 hour away was able to change scales for me by the percentages with just a little math. If anyone here could tell me the percentage difference between the 40 size Zero (1/8th @1480mm) to 60 size (1/6 @1592mm) that would help me when I go to the local shop. Sometimes they just have a girl in there that can only run the machines and can't do the math! LOL If I could give her the percentage increase then she could do it. I have come up with a 7.570% increase of 1480, which comes out to 1592.03. Does that sound correct?

Thanks, Ted
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM
scale only 4 me

Ted,
Careful just using the wingspan as the indicator,, the Rufe was based on the A6M2 with a 12m wing span, Most Zero kits are based on the A6M5 which had a shortened 11m wingspan as of the a6m3 variant

Better to use Fuse length not wing span as your guide
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM
chistech

I used the wingspan of the 40 size Zero and not the Rufe. The Rufe has a 1490 span. By comparing 40 zero to 60 zero I should be OK I believe.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Corsair 29

Ted,

Do you think that the cowl and canopy on my zero junor might fit the rufe? the wingspans are close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.