Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Super Sporster 40 sort of

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 09:36 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks AndyNealG

Canopies are no longer available. I Check with Great Planes. And I don't have one myself. So no canopy for this one Just a wind shield.

Also a S.S would not fit mine any way. I made it slightly wider than stock so as to fit a 10 ounce tank in it.

Not ready to try and learn to pull my own canopy at this time.

I thought about 4 servos for the wing for a fair bit of time and doing crow. But this small a plane it is not likely to be any advantage.

Ken

Old 04-01-2020, 09:49 AM
AndyNealG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there is only so much time, so the wind screen sounds good. I wanted a cowl fully enclosed because of the electric, but the fibreglass people had them for 40, 90, 120 but no 60. So I drew one up in solidworks and my friend printed it on his 3-d printer. Took a while altogether.
Andy
Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 AM
flyingagin

Mom passed away last night in her sleep, peacefully in her sleep

Ken
Old 04-02-2020, 08:27 AM
AndyNealG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Thank God her going was peacefull.
ANG
Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 PM
flyingagin

Thanks Andy

It was expected. My wife and I took care of her the last few years even as it got harder to do. It is still not known if or what kind of funeral can be done. Virus.

For now I put both planes in a storage rack for safe keep. I am cleaning out the house. Will be getting ready to sell it and move from California to Kansas. So that is my main concentration right now. But I would like to get both planes covered before packing in a moving van. They will transport better that way. I have learned that one the hard way.

Ken
Old 05-08-2020, 04:14 PM
flyingagin

I need to get back to the 2 builds (airplanes) I have going. I have the glue for the windshield and the plastic. The plane is ready fro the next step which is the windshield.

I have an order in for all I need to finish off the Pacific Ace and to take the Super Sporster to the ready to cover point. The S.S. will still need me to buy a battery, receiver, and servos, unless I rob another plane. I forgot to buy the nyrods for the elevator, and rudder control runs. So I can't close the bottom up till then on the S.S.

It is real slow now for orders to be filled and shipping is also slow

I am also working on a mostly non plane related project. Once done it will bee useful for transporting planes.

I have price shells before for my truck a Ford F250. Forget about it!!!!!!. So I am building my own. It won't be as slick or pretty as a factory made solution, just a few thousand $ cheaper. Even second hand shells are way to rich for my blood. If I could even find one to fit my truck. The bed box is a standard size on the inside, but the outside is wider being a super duty.

So I have the framing done done except for the roof framing. I have the sides, front and back sheets cut to size basically. I have left the front and back a little bit bigger at this time. I have the window opening for the driver side cut out. It did come out slightly looser fit than I desire. I will fill that. Will add some ply and fiberglass the fill. I waiting till I do that before cutting the passenger side window opening.

I also have an order in for epoxy, West Systems 105, A gallon of resin and 1/5 gallon of hardener (5:1 mix ratio, and three pumps. A pump for the resin and two hardener pumps. I only bought the slow hardener but will have a spare pump for a faster hardener later. That's they way the kit comes 3 pumps. The kit was not cheap and will be more epoxy than I need for glassing the shell. I also have 25 yards of fiberglass on order. Again I will have excess cloth, but it is 3.75 ounce, so will have airplane use later on.

I have been pushing hard every day, till I am just to worn out and back hurting to much to do any other work, like get this airplane past the next step.

It' is not often the wife says order whatever you need for a project. But that is what she did for this shell.

Ken
Old 07-24-2021, 08:53 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1982 Great Planes Super Sportster 40

This photo you posted is helpful

Here is what I am faced with. Easily do-able just time consuming. My problem is stopping everything else in my life in order to donate the time to it. I noticed lately that I am getting the desire to do some modeling again.

Sorry. This video looks like a re-post. Seems I posted it back at the beginning of this thread

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 07-24-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:27 PM
flyingagin

What you have in the video is completely fixable. I am sure our approaches would be different.
When I do the gusset/fairing pieces, i don't glue them on to start with. Having the free lets me work them with knives and a sander, and work them down to the reference lines or slightly proud. There are Xacto blades that form a 360 degree circle. those are useful for blocks that are already attached. I do wear a Kevlar clove on the non knife hand, because it will sure as heck stop a blade.

I have been known to to remove the remaining tail feathers with a band saw, resurface a flat and true base and basicaly just start over. Each case is it's own.

Not moved yet. But almost every thing is ready load on a moving van, so obveisly the shop is packed up and redied for moving. That means I have not been able to work on any planes.

A big feild rat got into the Pacific Ace I built. I know their is some wireing damage, But have not done a full inspection.The plane itselve is fine. I finally got that rat. It ate holes in a lot of things. No rat traps would hold it. even one I modified a fair amount. I even put car anti freeze in penult butter for it. I may have put it in a rat comma for 2 or 3 weeks, the it was back again. Finally got it with some decades old gopher bait.

Our house is sold. We are negotiating for a place in north west Missouri. Friends of our from church our going to buy the adjacent properties. The end plan is to homestead. Chickens for eggs and meat, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, goats, sheep, pigs and cows for dairy and meat, large garden. The family that will be moving also is large with more than 12 kids.

Once moved I have to set up a shop again. Then I can resume work on planes in my free time. Getting the homestead up and largely feeding us will consume much of my time, but at my age I can't go at that for great periods of time, So that will give me some shop time.

I have started buying the electronics for a Andy Sheber Pitts s1s 1/3rd scale. Pretty much the plane in this thread.
I have the engine, a DLE 60cc twin, and all of the fiber glass parts and the canopy. Just bought the servos, Hitec HS-645MG High Torque, Metal Gear. Next will be 3 2000 ma Life batteries. One for ignition and 2 for Rx with 1 redundant bat. Then another order for Rx's Will run 2 for redundancy. 2 battery voltage sensors for the Rx bats. Thinking I will also add an air speed sensor. The Rx's will be FrSky RX8R PRO.

It is going to take some hunting to find a flying site that is not a hour away. Flying from our property is likely a no go as their is an air port 1/2 mile away, very small, but there. The population is 4000.

Ken

Old 07-25-2021, 01:47 PM
Lee Taylor

Not for one second have I thought my Sportster tail feathers were not fixable. I admire the attractive contour of the fillet on yours but that was never my intent. There were times in my distance past when I flew a LOT and I crashed a LOT. The over strengthening of the joint between the rudder and horizontal stabilizer is done on purpose. I build my flying models to take a beating. Somewhere along my timeline (around 1970) I started making large strong fillets (sometimes including glass cloth). My concern was not to make it attractive but to make it strong. Back then, when I built a model to be entered in a contest, my attention to detail was EXTREME and I did win some contests. I could easily be an R/C Scale modeler except for one thing, I build them to fly. I know me and I know my models are going to take some hits.

I am prepared to remove and replace the rudder and stabilizer. I think I have decided to go in that direction.

ps: Was chatting with a modeler in a model shop the other day. He was much younger and was flying a large scale Blue Angel. I noticed his mentality was that he was never going to experience a crash. Its funny, I have that mentality when I am flying, but when I am not flying I know the crash is inevitable. It is just a matter of time

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 07-25-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:44 PM
flyingagin

Al models have an expiration date is how I treat it. It just ain't printed on them. With that said I really work at not finding it with some planes, but would much rather find it with something that I don't have as much money, time, love in. I like to keep a couple of planes that I fly all risky like. Reduces the loss of the others.

Ken
Old 08-19-2021, 03:58 PM
flyingagin

Thanks Lee for alerting me to this item on Ebay poping up. Saw it, ordered it and it arrived today. A Canopy for the Great Planes Super Sportster 40.

Ken

Old 08-23-2021, 06:00 PM
Lee Taylor

Default Sportster, Enya, Dirty Birdy

No problem Ken. I heated up 3 tee pins, pushed them through the edge of mine, and have it temporarily mounted on my fuselage. I purchased a new-in-the-box K&B .40 (circa 1970 vintage). I am sure it will end up on my Sportster. Although I have a well used Enya .45BB I can use also. I purchased it new circa 1977. I have my Sportster tail section rebuilt except for the fiberglass reinforcing, and finishing. I also have replaced all the broken wing ribs. The other day I purchased a Dirty Birdy 64" foam wing short kit with canopy. I purchased some Dirty Birdy plans and have the plans on the wall. I like it already and have not received the kit yet.

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-23-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:52 PM
flyingagin

I have Dirty Birdy I bought 3rd hand or so. Glass body, foam wing core, mechanical retracts. There are great planes. I did mod to have flaps and regular ailerons. Roll rate went up a bunch. OS .60 for motivation.

The main gear retracts were installed badly. The ply mount for them was just glued to the foam. I will have to fix that correctly. Will likely need to convert it to a tail dragger for flying off of sod. Wont be any paved sites near me once we are moved. At that point might be easier jst to make a new wing.

Ken
Old 08-24-2021, 08:55 AM
Lee Taylor

I think the Dirty Birdy will suit me fine from a vintage perspective. I am thinking tail dragger also. I have a vintage 1986 OS61SF Ring/ABC. I plan to use it on the DB
Old 09-25-2021, 10:36 AM
flyingagin

Hi Lee Taylor. You had mentioned you had Realflight 8 earlier in this thread.
Well while I was order the electronic bits for the 1/3 scale I went ahead and got a dongle that I can use my transmitter (Frsky Horus X10) with a sim for my computer. Then I ordered Realflight 9.5.
Took a while to figure out how to get my Tx to work with Realflight. Finnaly found the settings with a bit of help from YouTube. Not perfect yet but I have to dig into things a bit more to get the extra channels to work right. And then I could not for the life of me remember some of the programing of my transmitter. I have now wrote the programming steps down in my Open Tx manual. Then went thru and made sure all models were programed in a standard fashion.

I am finding that with triple rates I really like and feel comfortable with low rate at 50% and 10% expo. Mid rate at 75% and 15% expo. And for high rate 100% and 20% expo. I find that the controls feel pretty much the same unless I start horsing things around a fair bit.

I have done several planes in Realflight Right now I am flying the Hangar 9 Pitts S-2B 50-60cc ARF Bi-Plane. I am progressing fairly well with it. Good practice for when I build the Andy Sheber Pitts s1s. I have most of the electronic bits for it, engine and fiberglass parts.

I can't build a darn thing right now nor even fly as everything is packed for our move from Ca. to Mo. So I have been acquiring parts. The Pitts will be covered in SIG Koverall, and the aircraft dope.

The plans arrived for the Pitts, Andy Sheber Pitts s1s. That's a lot of paper. I got them from Rick Boyer. [email protected] for any one interested in building one. He also has several other plane plans.

The SS will continue after we are moved and settled in and I have my shop back in operation. As well as several other old builds or restores.

Ken

Last edited by flyingagin; 09-25-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:18 AM
Lee Taylor

Default Rebuild - Damage, Super Sportster 40, Vintage, 1982

Hello Ken...

Yes I have RF8. I am very pleased with it. I am overdue to get-it-out and put it through the paces. People can complain all they want... it is a great device for me personally. I am starting to piddle with the old Super Sportster some more as of late. Getting ready to lay some fiberglass cloth on the wing center section. Spending an enormous amount of time freeing-up a stiff aileron. But that is okay because my hobby has no timeclock. Found a broken hinge. Fixed it. Planning some re-covering and maybe some painting. The fuse is coming along well. Have the tail feathers re-mounted. Will be adding glass cloth to the fillets. Planning a somewhat serious canopy install. Will cost me some time and money. Have a Google alert set for "wheel pants". Other than the finishing, the wing is 90% complete. Will take photos at some point. Installed a new fuel tank. Have the radio purchase on the horizon. I am putting it off because I move so slowly with my hobbies. I just purchased a mini sealing iron and some acetone. Looking forward to trying that out. Hope all are well. Stay safe!

ps: Have the Vintage Dirty Birdy plan plastered to the wall. That is how it all starts for me

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 12-10-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:30 PM
flyingagin

When I build I tend to build in big spurts. May spend a day for week going at it. Stopping to let glue or epoxy dry.

My problem has been life interuptus. Like now every thing is packed up for moving. Right now we are just waiting close on 10 acres in Missouri. Another family is going in on the property also. So as soon as things close we will be on the road. Then I got to build a shop. I have found a couple of clubs not to far away. One about 30 minutes, another about a hour.. The closer flies from an very small country airport so is paved (maybe 6 members). the farther is a sod field.

Once we are there then there will be lots of things demanding my time. We plan on a big garden and critters and fencing and structures for them. Chickens, ducks, turkeys geese quail, rabbits, goats, sheep, and pigs. Not many of the larger critters. Basically grow the bulk of our own food. Sell some for income, a side hustle.

So planes will be when I have the time or just need to stop and take a working break.

The Dirty Birdy Is a great flying airplane, SMOOTH. I modified mine from stock as I never intend to compete with it (or anything else). I removed the strip ailerons and replaced with double width flaps and barn door ailerons. The double width barn door aileron may be a bit much. I have an insane row rate, but expo and multi rates make it tame. I have a piped rear exhaust 6o that I want ti fix and replace the present engine with. Will need MAJOR nose surgery to do so, but on high nitro fuel should be rather entertaining.

Ken

Old 12-14-2021, 08:17 PM
Lee Taylor

Yep I am still messing with my Sportster. I can be seriously slow sometimes. But that is okay. I am only going down this road once. Gives me something to do that is not chores or home repair or upkeep. Approaching the point where the wing is going to be soon structurally finished and ready for Monokote. Yes I am planning some old school Monokote. Bought some acetone. Going to do some experimentation with adhesion and laying the material flat and letting the acetone dry. I have been removing some of the old Monokote and I am impressed with its toughness. Of course it has its mechanical stress limits to a point where it just pops and breaks. Its adhesion properties are excellent but then this model has been sitting around for 40 years and that has to be taken into account. I am planning to use two servos. One for each aileron. I am also planning wheel pants at some point. The fuselage still needs some work and it is waiting patiently for me. I guess I knew all along that building and flying models was a life-long endeavor for me. Onwards!
Old 12-14-2021, 09:14 PM
flyingagin

I have really become enamored with 2 aileron servos. Just so much easier to get correct. And the weight is only another 1.5 ounces. But it is not even that as with the new receivers only being a few grams and LIFE batteries being so much light than the old NiCad's, you are still less weight than we were before as far as radio. I've even changed my old, little Kadet Jr. to dual aileron servos. Dual ailerons does give the option of flaperons, something to think about.

When I get the chance to finish my Super Sporster .40 I am really thinking a silk and dope finish. Either that or it will be China cote as a fall back.

Ken
Old 12-15-2021, 01:35 PM
Lee Taylor

I used silk (after silkspan of course) on my planes growing up. I had no problems with it and it feels much stronger than plastic film. It also allows you to get away from the super glassy finish. I am not too far away from using silk again. Silk and dope made some good planes in my life time. My first "mini" sealing iron arrived today. In my early days I used a full size iron for the entire job. Teeny corners, shrinking, the whole nine yards

I intentionally do strive to build pretty model planes. I won "pretty" model contests when I was a kid. My intention is not to build ugly either. Too much time spent on perfection does not work in my world of flying models. I try to build in ruggedness but keep down the weight. Growing up I learned strength in certain areas are a good thing in the field

I also know that you can absolutely totally destroy a model in the field and down the tubes goes all those man hours.

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 12-15-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:17 PM
flyingagin

A source for silk is dharmatrading.com. They have different weights.
Another fabric POLY CHINA SILK LINING. This is one more like polyester dress lining, and has a direction it shrinks better in. A thread on it is here.

The plane in my Avatar is covered in 100% polyester dress lining from JoAnn's.

Ken
Old 04-22-2022, 10:32 AM
flyingagin

Hoping to get this bird in the air later this year as we made our move from Ca. to Mo.

Moved to The Camdenton, Mo area. We left the 7 this month pulling a 27 ft Travel Trailer. It was loaded with most of our kitchen supplies and other immediate needs. I had a shelve in the truck camper, more supplies in the bottom, my airplanes on top of the shelf. A small house dog and a young cat in the back seat. We had a friend in another vehicle also bring stuff.

I got a bad tank of diesel fuel in Arizona just before a long grade. Struggled up down in 2nd gear thinking hard about 1rst. Low turbo pressure, but al gauges dead on normal and no check engine lights. Made it over the top got more fuel and the truck ran great What a relieve.

Then Sunday morning in one moment I became and arsonist, a terrorist and very famous in Mclean Tx.

A tire came off the trailer hub and all. It bounced across the freeway and struck a big in in the driver side door. Then proceed to start a fir on both side of the freeway and the middle. That’s the terrorist part as it obviously scared the poor truck half to death. And the arsonist part, starting the grass fire.

I felt a big lurch when the tire cam off, and a car pulled up beside me waving to my trailer. I pulled off as far as I could get. Got out and saw the passenger side rear tire (dual axle trailer) missing and the axle bent, brake wires and parts dangling. Went back to the truck to tell my wife we had real problems. Then I looked back and saw smoke. A short while later I see a fire truck west bound followed by a police car. Great can’t get any worse can it? Oh wait, yeah it can. After the fire is put out the police car and fire truck pull in behind me. A deputy gets out and checks on us. We are fine. Then the firemen return my tire to me, and said here’s your tire back to me.

The deputy and fire men were more amused than anything else. Said it happens all the time. No fines or anything.

Then a big rig pulls in behind the parade

He shows me his truck side and said his ear still hurt, sounded like a bomb going off.

After a full exchange of info everybody else take off. We finally got a wrecker out from McLean. I am saying to myself that ain’t big enough for this job. But he makes sure nothing will be dragging and has us follow him into town at about 30mph. It was only about 5 miles to town.

Get into town and am shown were to park and drop the trailer. Others from the shop come out and say your that guy that started that fire.

So I started a fire, scared a poor trucker half to death and was well known in McLean, Tx.

We continued on our trip and arrive at our new home the 12.

A trip I never want to repeat. But hey at least it was not boring. You know what? I like BORING TRIPS.

Ken
Old 07-22-2022, 12:00 PM
Lee Taylor

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Hoping to get this bird in the air later this year as we made our move from Ca. to Mo.
There is a LOT going on in people's lives other than model airplanes. Glad you are safe and made the journey
Old 07-22-2022, 12:07 PM
flyingagin

Thanks Lee.

We are moving again end of the month as this is not really habitable. We had standing water coming up all of the floors except bedroom. Now mold. Temporally our daughter and son in-law are taking us in.

Ken
Old 07-22-2022, 03:08 PM
Lee Taylor

Wow sorry to hear all that. Most certainly there will be better days ahead.